Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took a trip to a local Lexus dealership (CA)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17 | 01:42 PM
mk416
Advanced

Default Took a trip to a local Lexus dealership (CA)

So I took a trip to check out a commuter car (Prius C/Corolla) at Toyota Tustin and spotted Lexus around the corner on the driveway, so I thought I'd hop over and take a peak at LC500 and maybe ask questions about LS500.

While those two already have their own threads for discussion, I thought it was interesting (or maybe sad) to point out that there was NOT one GS on the lot! Lots of IS, ES, some RC, and some LS460...but not GS at all! I mean, not even an used one anywhere on the lot.

Is there any resonance to this discovery or is this a lone anomaly?
Old 10-03-17 | 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Slow selling. End of 2017 MY. New 18s either are spoken for and are gone or they are en route.

I am pretty sure they would get you one within 48hrs from another dealer if you were sign off on a purchase.

Did you ask when they might have a new GS in stock?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-03-17 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-03-17 | 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Simple. The ES is killing the GS in sales...and this article explains why. Dealers are not likely to have many, if any, in stock...there is little demand. There have been several rumors of the demise of the American-market GS, but, for now, a 2018 version is still planned.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/03/...nt-surprising/

Also, try this website.....Every Car Listed. I have found it useful, in the past, when searching for specific vehicles, though they can probably search more effectively at the dealership itself.

http://www.everycarlisted.com

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-04-17 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-03-17 | 07:39 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

I agree with the comments above.
To add, Lexus has several sedans that competes for the same buyer IMO. The variances on the IS, ES and GS can simply amount to personal taste and style. But all 3 sedans are basically 4 door cars with similar power plants. Not to mention the popularity among premium SUVs and Crossovers which are killing the 4dr sedans amongst most brands.
Old 10-04-17 | 08:30 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Slow selling. End of 2017 MY. New 18s either are spoken for and are gone or they are en route.

I am pretty sure they would get you one within 48hrs from another dealer if you were sign off on a purchase.

Did you ask when they might have a new GS in stock?
Was more interested in the LS500, so I didn't really think about asking. I wanted to take a peak inside as I have not seen the updated version of 4G GS...

I suspect that the over-availability of saloons with nearly identical options and features is the one factor that's killing the sales of GS...can you say sales cannibalizing? On another note: did a brief interior comparison with a GS350 F-Sport with an E300 w/ packages, and I have to say, for the same amount of money, I most definitely will go with the Benz (both under leasing as buying new cars nowadays just makes no sense). Ambient lighting, creature comfort, sound system, and the driving factor (I'm gong for soul-numbing silence and comfort in this niche).

In short, I really agree that Lexus basically killed the GS when ES was introduced with familiar options at a lower pricing point.
Old 10-04-17 | 09:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

they just need to differentiate the gs more from the es or kill one or the other model. the es screams 'sensible luxury' and the gs should scream wow styling, performance, and lots of option flexibility. right now the gs is not wow, performance is ok, and option flexibility (not to mention availability) is really lame.
Old 10-04-17 | 12:04 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they just need to differentiate the gs more from the es or kill one or the other model. the es screams 'sensible luxury' and the gs should scream wow styling, performance, and lots of option flexibility. right now the gs is not wow, performance is ok, and option flexibility (not to mention availability) is really lame.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus pulls an Acura and merges the two into one (TL/TSX = TLX) in the future. Although, I would like to say that's highly unlikely considering it is Lexus, and the demographics that buy each model.
Old 10-05-17 | 01:14 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Sad that the GS isn't doing well. Lexus might need to follow Mercedes and make the GS a smaller version of the LS500. The C, E and S class Mercedes are all so similar looking now. I can barely tell the difference between the C and the E class.
Old 10-05-17 | 01:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

It is not doom and gloom as everyone is saying. It is sticking around and most of my local dealers have some in stock.
Some factors contributing to the lower numbers: 1) It's always sold in low numbers in modern times. It's a niche sedan, not a bread and butter sedan. 2) It's the end of the model year and new stock has not replenished old stock. 3) It's nearing the end of it's life cycle. Most models, especially in niche classes, sell low before being redesigned. 4) The ES is selling well and stealing thunder from other Lexus models. The IS is also selling well and likely taking away some potentials.