Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Launches On-Demand Subscription

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17 | 12:55 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Default Porsche Launches On-Demand Subscription

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/10/po...cars-and-suvs/

Porsche’s new Passport subscription program could be just what you’re looking for. The on-demand short-term rental program allows anyone in Atlanta to subscribe for $2,000 per month, which will provide access to eight models of Porsche including the 718 Boxster, Cayenne and Cayman S at launch.

Those who want a bit more can sign up for the Accelerate program, which is $3,000 per month, but which provides access to a total of 22 Porsche models and variants, including the 911 Carrera S, the Macan GTS and the Cayenne S E-Hybrid SUV.

The price of membership may seem steep, but it covers tax, registration, insurance, maintenance and even detailing fees, which can really add up when you’re talking about a Porsche. Also there’s a one-time $500 activation fee, as well as both a background and a credit check which is probably a fairly reasonable ask given the value of the vehicles you’ll be getting.

Atlantans who sign up can get their vehicles delivered on-demand to the location of their choosing in the metro Atlanta area starting this November, and then can exchange their cars for other models also using the Porsche Passport app. This Atlanta pilot, and its results, will determine whether Porsche continues to grow the program in the future.

Subscription-based car programs are increasingly an option automakers are looking to change up ownership and deal with the changing demands of customers. Cadillac debuted its own similar program early this year, and it’s likely going to be an option more car makers look at as consumers look around for alternatives to buying vehicles outright or traditional leasing models.
Limited to Atlanta right now, but all things considered, the price isn't that bad.
Old 10-10-17 | 01:32 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

All inclusive, flexible subscriptions are all the rage this year with the coming expansion of Book by Cadillac, Care by Volvo, and now Porsche.
Old 10-10-17 | 02:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

nice. i see the coming end to 'owning' cars... gigantic sink hole of money.
Old 10-10-17 | 11:33 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

2k for some lowly models, really? I can get two of those by spending that much, smh...
Old 10-11-17 | 04:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
2k for some lowly models, really? I can get two of those by spending that much, smh...
but the payment covers insurance and more, plus you can switch vehicles, so cayman s during the week and cayenne for a weekend trip for example,
Old 10-11-17 | 05:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For those who don't like owning cars and those who obviously have the money, this looks like a great idea. An open top sports car for the winter, then you switch up to a 4WD SUV for the winder months.
Old 10-11-17 | 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For those who don't like owning cars and those who obviously have the money, this looks like a great idea. An open top sports car for the winter, then you switch up to a 4WD SUV for the winder months.
You meant the summer, didn't you?...a typo.

A little off-topic, but you might get a chuckle out of this. Decades ago, when the Mazda Miata first debuted, I took a test-drive of one during the winter....as I remember, it was cold and cloudy that day, with the temperature right around freezing (maybe a couple of degrees colder than that), but no rain or snow falling, on dry roads. I couldn't resist the easy flip-down top (and, of course, it would not have been a proper test-drive without sampling the Al-Fresco). So here I am, buzzing down the street, with the top down, bitter cold outside, with people on the sidewalk staring at that big hulk of a guy in a baseball cap, stuffed inside a car that was obviously too small for him, freezing his b*ns off. Actually, it wasn't as bad as it sounded...the Miata's wind-blocker and windshield-pillar design, together wth the car's heater, did a decent job of keeping out the worst of the cold wind.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-17 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-11-17 | 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You meant the summer, didn't you?...a typo.
LOL Yes meant summer.
Old 10-11-17 | 06:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Cayman S is a lowly model?
Old 10-11-17 | 10:50 AM
Hoovey689

So its Netflix for Porsche. Porflix? Netorsche? Great idea though. If I can stream/rent/lease things these days, I don't need to need to buy/own them unless I really wanted a copy/them. It's nice to have options.