Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus front ends... will they change soon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 03:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I love 2016/17 4.5GS Refreshed front end - it makes my original 2015 look dated; though I find that new 2016/17 4.5GS Refreshed tail lamps don't make sense.

I love spindle grille; gives Lexus identity like Benz and Beamer.

Genesis' six sided pentagon is good on G80, but the rest of the G70 doesn't seem to look as good as G80.

While Audi's new hexagon is looking a trifle big mouthed and bland.

Can't wait till Lexus has some symmetry by spindling the tail end across the range like this LC and LS prototype.
Below, the traditional rear horizontal bumper bar has literally been deleted.

Moreover, to match the prominent bulging front spindle grille, the rear has a prominent bulging rear center spindle section!

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-16-17 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 03:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Not this discussion again!

Let's not forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder: What you find ugly, others find very attractive.

The spindle-shaped predator grille has become THE brand signature of Lexus. Everyone now knows a Lexus when they see one, just as people know a BMW by its twin-kidney grille and Audi by its Singleframe (TM) grille.

If Lexus were to suddenly lose the spindle grille, it would be a signal that Lexus has lost its way, not knowing what it stands for or where it wants to go. Lexus would very quickly lose status.

As excellent examples, look at Audi, Acura and Lincoln. All 3 brands tried to establish a brand identity with unique, signature grille shapes (the Audi Singleframe, the Acura beak and the Lincoln split wing). Only Audi was courageous enough under criticism (no one likes change and few like to be different), to maintain and refine the shape (just as Mercedes-Benz has refined the shape of its grille over the last century).

Acura and Lincoln, however, were not courageous enough and gave in to criticism. Acura suddenly gave up the beak, even after a number of refinements, going to some generic, not unique shape. Similarly, Lincoln had refined its split wing, but suddenly gave it up to copy Bentley. No one (perhaps not even the product planners at Honda and Ford) know what Acura and Lincoln stand for or the future of those brands, other than as sellers of more-expensive, dressed-up Hondas and Fords.

If Lexus were to suddenly give up the spindle grille, it would quickly lose status, just as Acura and Lincoln have. Giving up the polarising spindle grille now would be worse than keeping it.
If Lexus is relying on its front grill to define what it is as a company and brand then its in worse shape then we thought.

Lexus used to be about "the persuit of perfection" , the reliability and top notch engineering, smooth ride and comfort....now its about weird wonky designs and for its ability to blend in with Hondas and Hyundai's. The pursuit of perfection is now the pursuit of mediocrity.

The fact is, if Lexus polled its customers the year before they designed the new spindle grill , 100% would of overwhelmingly said it was horrible and not the direction they want Lexus to go.

The fact people are buying it is only because its there, and theres nothing they can do about it, do you really think customers from other brands are switching to lexus now so they can have that front end? absolutely not, its just something people are tolerating because they have no choice.

I will say some of them have grown on me , but that's only because it represents newer and more expensive, it doesn't mean its a better looking design.
Old 10-16-17, 03:34 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
it's still growing on me. I like the first designs of the grill. I hope they could go back to that

Whoever retrofitted that 4GS front did a great job.
Old 10-16-17, 03:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
The fact is, if Lexus polled its customers the year before they designed the new spindle grill , 100% would of overwhelmingly said it was horrible and not the direction they want Lexus to go.
I'm glad at least someone understands the concept of mass group polling to convert an individual subjective opinion into quantitative objective data.

There is no need to fight over personal subjective opinions.
Resolve by doing a mass group poll, and we get quantitative objectivity!
The larger the sample number, the more accurate the results...
Old 10-16-17, 04:17 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

it will only get bigger.

in fact, this is the 2019 Lexus ES.....

Old 10-16-17, 05:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Ok, everybody has been afforded their (recurring) say on the monthly spindle grill love it hate it merry go round thread

Let's give it a rest.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-16-17 at 05:18 PM.