Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Audi A7

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 11:31 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

That light design is awesome, especially the rear lights. And I love the wheels on that car. I'm a fan of the new look.
Old 02-08-18, 11:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
finally watched this...

awesomeness indeed. car is SPECTACULAR.
Old 02-08-18, 12:25 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Too cool. I don't expect the fancy light show on USDM cars though. The Feds need to hurry and change these archaic headlight/taillight laws.
Probably a stupid question, but why would this not be available in the US? It appears to me that the light sequences are only activating at certain times that don't occur during driving (ex: "leaving home" or whatever they call it - which I assume happens on initial start-up). I remember seeing the crazy video of an Audi where it looked like a lava lamp going through the rear lights, which I can somewhat understand being a concern if that's happening when the car is braking... but if these happen when the car is started up or powered off, why would the US not approve this?
Old 02-08-18, 12:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Probably a stupid question, but why would this not be available in the US? It appears to me that the light sequences are only activating at certain times that don't occur during driving (ex: "leaving home" or whatever they call it - which I assume happens on initial start-up). I remember seeing the crazy video of an Audi where it looked like a lava lamp going through the rear lights, which I can somewhat understand being a concern if that's happening when the car is braking... but if these happen when the car is started up or powered off, why would the US not approve this?
US DOT laws are outdated and don't support modern technological innovations.

Cars sold in the US must obey a rulebook that spans more than a thousand pages and gets very details. One rule: You need separate light sources for high and low beams.
Source
Old 02-08-18, 01:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

ok, we hear you on dumpy, frumpy, and droopy, no need to post that again.
My last analysis went over a dozen points about the car, with the dumpy butt being one. If I wrote only about the butt, I could see your point. And apparently, it seems to be the #1 offending thing with most other people as well. But point noted and taken regardless. I review the design of a lot of cars... hard to keep track of records as additional updates come.
Old 02-08-18, 03:09 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

With audi going all touch, I wonder if Lexus is scrambling to get back to touch screens.
Old 02-08-18, 03:12 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pman6
With audi going all touch, I wonder if Lexus is scrambling to get back to touch screens.
Until we see a new or revised Lexus with a touch screen, I don't thing there's any scrambling going on
Old 02-08-18, 05:13 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
US DOT laws are outdated and don't support modern technological innovations.Source
Yup, what Hoovey said. I'm sure the programming that handles the light show at start up is also responsible for the sequential turn signals, which are a no no here. Audi's workaround for the outdated law is to illuminate the brake light and sequential turn signal simultaneously, which of course looks odd.
Old 02-09-18, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
i doubt it because the position of the screens matters and it seems lexus has decided having screens a bit further away works well and thus too far to reach or better controlled via controllers.
i'm sure any of these systems CAN work well, but devil's in the details. as hoovey points out, the refreshed nx controller/pad implementation is apparently a whole load better than the original.
Old 02-09-18, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i doubt it because the position of the screens matters and it seems lexus has decided having screens a bit further away works well and thus too far to reach or better controlled via controllers.
i'm sure any of these systems CAN work well, but devil's in the details. as hoovey points out, the refreshed nx controller/pad implementation is apparently a whole load better than the original.
Haven't tried Audi's latest infotainment controls, but BMW's iDrive is one of the best out there. The Lexus RTI 2.0 while not perfect, is a serious upgrade over the first generation. If you put a 2017 next to a 2018, I'd guarantee 10/10 would choose the 2018. Since its inception in MY15 was supposed to mimic how you swipe a smartphone, or say on your phones navigation when you want to zoom in or out you pinch the screen. Same concept on the Lexus, but clunky and fills one with rage hah! 2018 is far and above smoother.

Waiting on a car that can read my thoughts so I don't do anything but think what I want to happen (mostly in regards to infortainment)
Old 02-11-18, 06:27 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't really like the changes that they are bringing for 2019......and I am a HUGE A7 fan. I WILL own an RS7 one day lol......and it will be pre 2019.