Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Creates a New Color For the LC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 11:49 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus Creates a New Color For the LC

Lexus Creates a New Color For the LC

When Lexus sets out to do something they really do put their all into it. Case and point is this new color that adorns a limited quantity of their halo LC car that took a staggering 15 years to get just right. I think we all could learn a thing or two about patience from the brand.

By Sarah Portia - October 20, 2017

Old 10-20-17, 12:13 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i like
Old 10-20-17, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The limited quantity of the LC coupes that will wear the paint that contains 300 billion nano-structure blue pigment flakes and will go by the name of the Structural Blue Edition.

The particular choice of blue was inspired by none other than the Morpho butterfly, with the development of the finish taking eight months and utilizing 12 production steps with over 20 quality control inspections. "Native to North and South America, this butterfly is renowned for the deep, shimmering blue of its wings." What's interesting in this next part is that Lexus was inspired by not only the color that the butterfly had but how the insect creates it. "But in fact, the wings are colorless. The blue we see is created by light interference on their microscopic lattice surface structure."

So what's in this Structural Blue that makes it so special? Well, the paint finish features a special kind of pigment that has no less than 40 separate layers, including a 15-micrometer layer between the primer and clear coats. Take a moment to let this sink in; the Structural Blue paint also has nanostructures in the paint that work to generate the same iridescence that is found on the Blue Morpho's wings. That iridescence creates a chameleon-like effect of the paint changing shades depending on how and how much light shines on it. The Structural Blue is fully capable of reflecting back 100% of the light that comes in contact with it while other conventional paints can only reflect just 50% of incoming light.
Some pretty cool facts
Old 10-20-17, 01:06 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

USB was good enough for me. I can’t wait to see this in person! I just can’t imagine how difficult it will be to match this in the event of an accident though. Just gotta throw the whole car away lol.
Old 10-20-17, 01:36 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
USB was good enough for me. I can €™t wait to see this in person! I just can €™t imagine how difficult it will be to match this in the event of an accident though. Just gotta throw the whole car away lol.
I'm confident no one would be able to match it with the rest of the car if they have to repaint the whole panel. Touch ups here and there maybe. Also maybe Lexus will sell the paint kit together with the instruction how to mix it up and apply it but still. Just claim it's totaled after fender bender

This is LC's native color together with its tri-tone interior. That's how this car was imagined in production form from the get go.
Old 10-20-17, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good luck getting Joe's Body Shop, down the street, to match that paint-color and texture after a fender-bender. That's probably going to require special top-rated shops...yes, at top-rated prices. Of course, the flip-argument also goes that those who can afford a car like this can also afford the insurance for it.
Old 10-20-17, 03:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

At least in photos, one cannot see anything special here. It looks just like Ultrasonic Blue, which is already a wonderful color. If there are many looks to this new shade, depending upon the lighting, then I'd say it's worth it. Otherwise, just slap USB on the LC and save customers some mula.
Old 10-20-17, 03:26 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good luck getting Joe's Body Shop, down the street, to match that paint-color and texture after a fender-bender. That's probably going to require special top-rated shops...yes, at top-rated prices. Of course, the flip-argument also goes that those who can afford a car like this can also afford the insurance for it.
Yup, I've only had one specialty color car, my 25Quattro S4. Only 250 were made, and that color was limited to that model only. I had to have my tow hook cover replaced once and they had to try 3 times to match and never really succeeded. I just accepted it since it was just a small circular cover. Then someone rear-ended me and I had to get the rear bumper and quarter panels painted. Of course they couldn't match it. It looked hideous ever since.

Never again. Too risky for a daily driver. Standard colors for me unless it's a boutique weekend car.
Old 10-20-17, 11:14 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 245 Posts

This is hardly "new news" as there have been promotional photos of this color for quite some time. Even at the pre-production event in March the Lexus reps had information listing the color..... Definitely my favorite choice (but not that three tone interior) ..... And on occasion my laptop background....
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Creates a New Color For the LC-lc500-desktop.jpg  

Last edited by Duck05; 10-20-17 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 01:43 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
At least in photos, one cannot see anything special here. It looks just like Ultrasonic Blue, which is already a wonderful color. If there are many looks to this new shade, depending upon the lighting, then I'd say it's worth it. Otherwise, just slap USB on the LC and save customers some mula.
It's not like USB cause it doesn't have any red pigment in it. It's more like purest blue or bluest blue with insane amount or radiance. Seems like close to cyan is the base tone which then sucks up ambient lighting to ennoble the paint and then reflects it back as wide spectrum of blue hues with rapid switching in frequency within every curvature of the surface. If ambient lighting is indoor daylight such as in car shows then it might seem like Ultrasonic blue cause it will pick up some violet blue and reflect it back. On outdoor sunlight it will pick up yellow and turn into warm electric blue.
Old 10-21-17, 09:15 AM
evident
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

It looks nice, but all of the pictures are really postprocessed so much that I cant tell what it really looks like...
Old 10-21-17, 02:25 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow what a beautiful color described. I'll definitely have to see it in person. My wife mentioned how sexy this car was and has a small collection of butterflies that wouldn't be too hard to convince her to get into this vehicle. Lol. All in good time.
Old 10-28-17, 04:18 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's one in the making:
View this post on Instagram