Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Premieres 'LS+ Concept' Flagship!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 02:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm confused too, its almost like they're saying the new LS wasn't good enough to be a flagship, so we're going to make it better.
Not sure what's so confusing. Do you really think Lexus finished the 5LS then said "ok we're done, we'll revisit it in 10 years." They're already working on the 5LS mid cycle and 6LS. The LS+ Concept is highlighting automating driving with 'Highway Teammate', automated technologies, future Lexus design, AI, and improved aerodynamics. It's getting people excited. Like Apple Car Play, Android Auto, and Safety Suites (PCS, DRCC, LKA/LDA, BSM, IHB) were big deals starting around 2015-2017 (now becoming standard or available on most vehicles), autonomous vehicles and battery technology will be the next big thing from now to 2020.

The LS+ Concept, equipped with state-of-the-art technologies, indicates the future image of the "LS" flagship sedan. With its advanced yet dignified styling and automated driving technologies planned for application in 2020, the LS+ Concept was developed as a model that symbolizes Lexus' vision.

As a concept vehicle that suggests the future look of the LS, the LS+ Concept produces a dignified expression as a flagship and indicates the direction of next-generation Lexus design based on Lexus' L-finesse*3 design philosophy. In addition to a boldly evolved Spindle Grille, with a large grille shutter that contributes to both improved cooling and enhanced aerodynamic performance, distinctive Lexus vision is expressed in the LS+ Concept through, among others, partly laser-lit headlamps and rear combination lamps, as well as through electronic side mirrors.

Lexus is pursuing a world in which all people can enjoy safe, smooth and untethered mobility through automated driving technologies. Specifically, it intends to make automated driving from entrance ramp to exit ramp on motor-vehicle-only roadways possible by using its "Highway Teammate" automated driving technologies, which, with an eye toward application in 2020, are featured on the LS+ Concept. On motor-vehicle-only roadways, through appropriate recognition, judgment and operation by onboard systems in response to actual traffic conditions, these technologies can enable automated merging, lane changes and diverging, as well as keep a vehicle in its lane and maintain vehicle-to-vehicle distance.

The LS+ Concept can communicate with a data center to update its systems' software, allowing new functions to be added. Meanwhile, AI that learns from big data, including information on roads and surrounding areas, ensures a high level of automated driving. The car, which can learn and grow along with its users, represents a new age for the image of cars to which people can become emotionally attached.
Old 10-25-17, 02:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

^ Yes, they will start work on the next LS now. But to release an actual concept model to the public when the all-new model is just going on sale is unheard of in the industry. I cannot recall a time this has happened before with any brand. It is not the norm, does not make sense, other than to debut technology that's around the corner. Seems like an expensive way to do it. New ES and GS are getting close... releasing a concept with all this tech on either of those two models would have made more economic sense.
Old 10-25-17, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
^ Yes, they will start work on the next LS now. But to release an actual concept model to the public when the all-new model is just going on sale is unheard of in the industry. I cannot recall a time this has happened before with any brand. It is not the norm, does not make sense, other than to debut technology that's around the corner. Seems like an expensive way to do it. New ES and GS are getting close... releasing a concept with all this tech on either of those two models would have made more economic sense.
Well then it's time to shake things up. In this league things don't have to make sense. Way to go Lexus for going against the grain.
Old 10-25-17, 03:03 PM
Hoovey689

The LF-Gh basically prepared us for the 2016+ GS. We got the 2013 front to help transition towards a full Spindle incorporated with L-Finesse. I would not be surprised if the LS+ Concept is further emphasizing the design direction Lexus will go with the upcoming GS, ES, IS, and an LS and LC refresh.

Old 10-25-17, 03:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,533 Posts

GChris, your posts weren't relevant to this thread, and were moved here.
Old 10-25-17, 04:06 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

that front is very, uh... bold?

i gotta say i absolutely love that rear 3/4 view shot, that's a sleek automobile. toyota may be unveiling the LS+ but i'm still waiting for the LS- lol... which would (in my imagination) essentially be a 1999 LS with an aux port, steering wheel audio controls, a tastefully integrated backup camera, heated rear seats, a brake hold function, and probably one other thing i'm not remembering...

i know i sound like a broken record with the LS 400 but i've driven all iterations of the LS (400, 430, 460) and the size, shape, visibility, ease of use, straightforward repairs, small blind spots, and subtle styling that says i'm important but don't need to make everyone else know about it just make it the perfect balance for me. we have a 2013 LS here now that was for sale (until one of the f/i guys bought it lol) and it just doesn't have that same LS 400 magic carpet ride, it also didn't feel any faster, like at all
Old 10-25-17, 04:38 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Excited to see what lexus will bring in the future.
Hopefully they'll use those string lightings in the front.
Old 10-25-17, 05:04 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

With triple foil system, the LS+ pulls as it cuts, for the ultimate shave.

Old 10-25-17, 06:37 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Is this teasing a top-of-the-range 5th Gen LS?

Something positioned higher up the LS model range to go against the V8 powered S classes and 7 series?
Old 10-25-17, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

seeing these two side by side (or one above the other) doesn't do the new ls any favors like the new (not even available) ls looks dated already.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-25-17 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
With triple foil system, the LS+ pulls as it cuts, for the ultimate shave.
ha.. i was thinking if it was driven into a pile of potatoes you'd have a hell of a lot of fries.
Old 10-25-17, 07:37 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus is getting out of control with the spindle grill. I thought it couldn't get more ugly until I saw this thing.. Hopefully it's just the concept car. BTW, what an odd timing for a LS concept as it has just been redesigned.
Old 10-26-17, 01:19 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Not sure what's so confusing. Do you really think Lexus finished the 5LS then said "ok we're done, we'll revisit it in 10 years." They're already working on the 5LS mid cycle and 6LS. The LS+ Concept is highlighting automating driving with 'Highway Teammate', automated technologies, future Lexus design, AI, and improved aerodynamics. It's getting people excited. Like Apple Car Play, Android Auto, and Safety Suites (PCS, DRCC, LKA/LDA, BSM, IHB) were big deals starting around 2015-2017 (now becoming standard or available on most vehicles), autonomous vehicles and battery technology will be the next big thing from now to 2020.

The LF-Gh basically prepared us for the 2016+ GS. We got the 2013 front to help transition towards a full Spindle incorporated with L-Finesse. I would not be surprised if the LS+ Concept is further emphasizing the design direction Lexus will go with the upcoming GS, ES, IS, and an LS and LC refresh.

Excellent write-up as usual Hoovey. Very much true. The 6th generation likely won't start development until sometime next year I figure though, as a very brief wait and see approach is needed for segments like these. Mid-cycle is definitely in progress, likely picking up steam closer to 2 years before intro. Nothing before 2021 on that front.

Back in early-mid September, a BMW insider that has provided some insight on the Toyota collaboration, pointed out at following the Genesis G70 reveal, that Lexus was going to reveal a concept in Tokyo that gave us a taste of the 4th generation IS via design language.

Isn't this old GS-F rendering also unusually familiar? I am the very person that revealed it to the non-Japanese speaking world back in the spring of 2016 and it ended up spreading like wildfire, particularly when a spammy blogbot copied it from the very forum I posted it on and my translation of the article highlighting V35A-FTS engine.

The fascia of this concept is unusually identical to this Japanese rendering from March 2016, in which I called it the next generation of Lexus design. Looks like the 4IS might make sense, even if it is called LS+. It is all about the front and rear on this concept, to showcase where Lexus design is going. The LS XF50 body is a convenient distraction.
Old 10-26-17, 05:18 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just looks like a pumped up Cadillac to me. Not very impressed with the whole look. I, of course, wouldn't turn it down if they are giving one to me.
Old 10-26-17, 10:12 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I get that, but to make it public with this type of timing? Everyone assumes they're working on an update, but don't show it while your still launching the current one. It kinda takes the shine off of the launch. Just my opinion. Plus they called this the LS+, which really says, 'hey, what we just launched isn't good enough, we're going to make something more competitive'.

Quick Reply: Lexus Premieres 'LS+ Concept' Flagship!!