Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Premieres 'LS+ Concept' Flagship!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 10:18 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Lexus is getting out of control with the spindle grill. I thought it couldn't get more ugly until I saw this thing.. Hopefully it's just the concept car. BTW, what an odd timing for a LS concept as it has just been redesigned.
But Lexus designed it, it must be good! /sarcasm
Old 10-26-17, 10:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seeing these two side by side (or one above the other) doesn't do the new ls any favors like the new (not even available) ls looks dated already.
The LS500 definitely does not photograph well. One of those need to see it in person type vehicles. That said I agree it looks dated already. I wish the Spindle extended to meet the hood line like the LF-FC and LS+ Concepts.

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Excellent write-up as usual Hoovey. Very much true. The 6th generation likely won't start development until sometime next year I figure though, as a very brief wait and see approach is needed for segments like these. Mid-cycle is definitely in progress, likely picking up steam closer to 2 years before intro. Nothing before 2021 on that front.

Back in early-mid September, a BMW insider that has provided some insight on the Toyota collaboration, pointed out at following the Genesis G70 reveal, that Lexus was going to reveal a concept in Tokyo that gave us a taste of the 4th generation IS via design language.

Isn't this old GS-F rendering also unusually familiar? I am the very person that revealed it to the non-Japanese speaking world back in the spring of 2016 and it ended up spreading like wildfire, particularly when a spammy blogbot copied it from the very forum I posted it on and my translation of the article highlighting V35A-FTS engine.

The fascia of this concept is unusually identical to this Japanese rendering from March 2016, in which I called it the next generation of Lexus design. Looks like the 4IS might make sense, even if it is called LS+. It is all about the front and rear on this concept, to showcase where Lexus design is going. The LS XF50 body is a convenient distraction.
Thanks and right back at you for your 'behind the scene' information. I do remember that GS F render. I expect the 5GS (300B programme) and the 4IS to be in similar fashion albeit slightly less garish. Thanks for the vote of confidence about the LS+ front design.

Originally Posted by jwong77
I get that, but to make it public with this type of timing? Everyone assumes they're working on an update, but don't show it while your still launching the current one. It kinda takes the shine off of the launch. Just my opinion. Plus they called this the LS+, which really says, 'hey, what we just launched isn't good enough, we're going to make something more competitive'.
I think you're looking at it wrong, but to each their own. Like Carmaker1 said the LS+ showcases where Lexus design is going based solely on exterior. Notice there are no interior pictures. There is no mention of powertrains. It's a design study to gauge consumer reaction. The 5GS, 4IS, 7ES, 2RC will slowly begin to adopt cues.
Old 10-26-17, 11:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,342 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The LS500 definitely does not photograph well. One of those need to see it in person type vehicles. That said I agree it looks dated already. I wish the Spindle extended to meet the hood line like the LF-FC and LS+ Concepts.
agree but was also comparing the big wheel gap on ls (although i know suspension can sit up when stationary and the concept doesn't actually have to be driveable ) plus the ls+ sides are smoother and less curves /less busy than ls.

but like you said, i'm sure when i see new ls in the wild it will be great!
Old 10-26-17, 08:43 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES! For the longest time I've been complaining about Toyota cheaping out on their taillights. Finally the full width taillights might be coming to Lexus vehicles.
Old 10-27-17, 12:03 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The spindle grill is what reignited my interest in Lexus, I prefer this ethno-cyberpunkish style over the mid noughties' more restrained designs. That being said, I wonder why they came back with the LFA style headlights since they don't look elegant enough to be on an LS. Either way, it still looks too concept like and I'm pretty sure the design will evolve over time.
Old 10-27-17, 04:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seeing these two side by side (or one above the other) doesn't do the new ls any favors like the new (not even available) ls looks dated already.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Totally agree with you guys, but I'm sure they will fix the styling with the 7ES, 5GS, 4IS and if not 5.5LS, then 6LS...
Old 10-27-17, 06:43 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

No to the full length rear lighting. I've seen it on the MKZ and it looks terrible, like some 70s Cadillac + Tron knockoff.
Old 10-27-17, 11:37 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chromedome
No to the full length rear lighting. I've seen it on the MKZ and it looks terrible, like some 70s Cadillac + Tron knockoff.
Full length tails helps you to spot the vehicle faster and from a farther distance. There is no denying that fact.

I, for one, think that they look amazingly smart, not tacky.
And I'm not the only one who thinks that, as you can see from the concept pictures.

These bad boys are almost 3ft long. Murica.

But why stop at 3ft when you can has 6ft? You can't miss these bad boys even if ya wanted to, mate. Eat my lights.

Last edited by theory816; 10-28-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-28-17, 04:21 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Tall vertical lights are fine but long horizontal rear lights look extremely tacky, like a moving neon billboard. I dread the time when the roads are filled with huge taillights and I can't figure it if cars are braking or standing still. Then again, it probably won't matter because all those cars will be autonomous
Old 10-28-17, 07:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,342 Likes on 1,534 Posts

love 'em

Old 10-28-17, 12:45 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the direction Lexus is going and especially the new LS. Big roomy ride and hopefully a ride to match with the new engine. Looking good.
Old 10-28-17, 12:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Taillights are nice, what about engines?
I wish Lexus would make a little window on the hood to show off it's engine. They make beautiful engines only to cover it up.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Premieres 'LS+ Concept' Flagship!!-2016-lexus-gs-f-engine1.jpg  
Old 10-28-17, 02:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Taillights are nice, what about engines?
I wish Lexus would make a little window on the hood to show off it's engine. They make beautiful engines only to cover it up.
The blue inlet manifold is nice, but the cover simply dresses it up.

More of a maze than 'beautiful' if you ask me (RC F below).

The IS F 5.0 was also a rat's nest with the covers removed

Old 10-28-17, 06:29 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Ack, I've always thought Honda engine bays were messy but that V8 looks like a rat's nest made by a very messy rat. All that cabling and piping every which way... My hybrid has high voltage cables in the engine bay but the routing is clean and tidy, with a few cables following the same path.

Probably won't matter because the next LS could be electric or FCV.

Old 10-28-17, 06:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So is the LS+ concept a sort of, "here's our 5LS and you guys should rush in and buy it, after waiting for a few years, but really you gotta love what's next?" It's a strange approach. On one hand you have barely shipped out your newest, blingy-thing and fanciest flagship. Yet you're already telling those customers - here's the same one with even more. Please don't buy our current model.

Quick Reply: Lexus Premieres 'LS+ Concept' Flagship!!