Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Replace LS430 with Rolls Royce Silver Spirit III-IV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17 | 08:54 PM
Harpo
Rookie

Question Replace LS430 with Rolls Royce Silver Spirit III-IV?

I've always wanted to own a Rolls Royce, and am seriously considering replacing my 2001 LS430 with a Mark III or IV Silver Spirit. I realize it won't have the same reliability, but I'm retired and only put around 3k miles a year on all my cars put together (2001 LS430, 2005 LX470, 2003 MB SLK32 AMG).

Thing is, I've never actually driven a RR this new, only ancient ones many years ago. Comfort, quiet, and overall luxury are my main considerations. Is there anyone here who has some experience with both the LS430 and 93-99 Rolls? I'd like to hear some experienced comparisons!

Thanks much,
Garry
Old 11-02-17 | 10:54 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

If you really love the RR, go for it! Enjoy what you really want
Old 11-02-17 | 10:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I don't know your budget, but honestly from the 80's/90's I like the Bentley models a lot more than the Rolls Royce cars. Bentley cars came with a much more powerful turbocharged V8, Rolls used the same engine sans turbo. IMO the sweet spot is the 1998-2009 Bentley Arnage Red Label, its a much newer car(all new for 1998, compared to the Rolls you are talking about which dates to 1980). Make sure you get the "Red Label" with the 6.75 liter turbo Rolls/Bentley motor, the "Green Label" Bentley had a stupid 4.4 liter twin turbo BMW V8. I have a VERY LOW opinion about V8 and V12 BMW engines, they have a lot of very expensive failure prone parts, along with being a PITA to work on, to where nobody wants to service them.

From a pure style perspective, I really like the 90's Bentley Continental T and R coupes, along with the Azure convertible. Not quite as up to date as the 1998 4 door Arnage, but man they look fabulous.
Old 11-02-17 | 11:09 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Be prepared for lots of $ to keep it running. Parts are expensive and in most parts of the country mechanics are scarce. I had a neighbor who had an early '60s RR and used it for weddings and proms to cover the costs. Nice car, but not cheap or particularly reliable.
Steve
Old 11-02-17 | 11:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Be prepared for lots of $ to keep it running. Parts are expensive and in most parts of the country mechanics are scarce. I had a neighbor who had an early '60s RR and used it for weddings and proms to cover the costs. Nice car, but not cheap or particularly reliable.
Steve
Good point about finding a mechanic. I'd be surprised if there is a single Rolls Royce mechanic in the whole state of Iowa. I'm betting the closest shop that would service a Rolls or Bentley would be in Chicago.
Old 11-03-17 | 09:01 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by blacksc400
If you really love the RR, go for it! Enjoy what you really want
I agree. Especially if you don't drive it that much, it won't matter.
Old 11-03-17 | 10:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I would complete the experience and hire a part time butler/driver! If you don't drive it much, it's not going to cost that much....personally, I always thought that if I were retired, I would love to be a driver provided it were a high end European car that I drive. Some state trooper buddies who moonlight said I would hate it, but I'm not going to pass judgement until I try...
Old 11-03-17 | 12:23 PM
pman6
Racer

i wouldn't buy one because it would make me look like a chauffeur, which is not the image i want to project.

i would rather buy a RR coupe. Less practical, but something I could drive to the golf resort.
Old 11-03-17 | 02:32 PM
Harpo
Rookie

Default Lexus LS430 vs '90s Rolls - Which is quieter, has better ride?

I'm looking for those with experience both Lexus and Rolls Royce, particularly the LS430 Lexus vs the Roll Royce Silver Spirit series 1989-1999.

Which car rides better and is more quiet?
Old 11-03-17 | 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Never rode in either. But my money is on the Rolls and a V12
Old 11-03-17 | 04:50 PM
riredale
Instructor

It's more a question of the quality of mustard kept in the glove box. Can't beat the Grey Poupon in the Rolls.
Old 11-03-17 | 06:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Harpo
I've always wanted to own a Rolls Royce, and am seriously considering replacing my 2001 LS430 with a Mark III or IV Silver Spirit. I realize it won't have the same reliability, but I'm retired and only put around 3k miles a year on all my cars put together (2001 LS430, 2005 LX470, 2003 MB SLK32 AMG).

Thing is, I've never actually driven a RR this new, only ancient ones many years ago. Comfort, quiet, and overall luxury are my main considerations. Is there anyone here who has some experience with both the LS430 and 93-99 Rolls? I'd like to hear some experienced comparisons
Really depends on your perspective. If you have deep enough pockets, go for it. Nothing wrong with enjoying a legendary car. You already have two ridiculously reliable cars in the garage with the LS and LX. Subjectively I'm not a fan of the Rolls styling from the 2000's. I agree with the others about the Bentleys. Much nicer styling with all the luxury and ooomph, from the 6.75.

Iowa won't have any mechanics and I'd worry about where you'll find parts for such a car. Because it's going to need TLC whether you drive it or you don't. Think of it as a Gulfstream executive jet. It's going to cost you money whether it's sitting or flying.
Old 11-04-17 | 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
I agree with the others about the Bentleys. Much nicer styling ...
except for the bentayga which is hideous.

Old 11-04-17 | 01:45 PM
Coleroad
Racer

I have never driven a ls430, so I can't do a apples to apples comparison. Back about ten ago I was seriously shopping for a silver spirit III. The cars are solid as can be. No rattles from the interior. The green house is huge, feels spacious like in a suv. The driving experience was somewhat like driving a 76 Cadillac brougham. Huge car, narrow tires, soft ride, and not much steering feel. The car is very comfortable, but not fun. Going on the on or off ramp, you have to definitely take it easy as you'll quickly here the tires chirping. Turn the wheel, body rolls, then the car turns. All of that said I was still interested , till I researched how much even maintenance parts were going to cost me. I decided I didn't want to be car broke. Even owning a Land Rover and jaguar at the same time. I didn't spend anywhere near what I would have on the Rolls just in maintenance. Maintenance still needs to be done even if you don't drive a lot . It's been years since I've driven any of my cars more than five thousand miles a year. If that's the kind of car you want, and your ok with the maintenance costs. I would say go for it, you only live once. Maintenance records is everything when buying one, keep that in mind.
Old 11-04-17 | 03:56 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

The LS430 is smooth and quiet, but it’s no way no way it’s even in the same league of RR and Bentley. Specially the early RR before going sporty, they are dead silent, you hear your own breath than the engine when going around town.

Quick Reply: Replace LS430 with Rolls Royce Silver Spirit III-IV?