Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Navigator and Escalade, OK...I agree they generally aren't designed for the boonies (and rarely get driven there). But the RR (and, to a lesser extent, the LX) is like the Trail-Rated badge for Jeeps...to simply BE a Land-Rover product, or a Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX, the vehicle HAS to, by company standards, be capable of a certain amount of off-road capability, whether owners choose to actually use that capability or not (many, of course, don't).

Now, of course, there is the added question if owners want to pay 90-100K (or more) for vehicles like this and then take them, with those nice paint jobs, plush interiors, and nice trim out in conditions which would scratch them up (SCRATCH-OUT is good stuff, but can only do so much LOL) and get them filthy. There is also the fact, of course, that many insurance policies won't cover off-road damage, even if the vehicle is capable of it. But those issues are probably off-topic here, and best left for another thread.
Fair points. But the large rims, on road tires, IRS, IFS all combine for a poor out of the box off road vehicle. Land Cruiser is just as poor with less than 9” of ground clearance.

A Jeep Wrangler, no doubt about it. A 4Runner Trail is not bad. A Raptor for sure. G Wagon of course.

Old 02-09-18, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fair points. But the large rims, on road tires, IRS, IFS all combine for a poor out of the box off road vehicle. Land Cruiser is just as poor with less than 9” of ground clearance.
Totally agree that overly-large rims and rubber-band tires don't cut it off-road....see my last reply to Steve's post.

(In fact, sometimes, with potholes, they don't cut it ON-road, either LOL)
Old 02-09-18, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Looks pretty capable to me:

This is on the stock 19s:

These are the upgrade 20s:

Old 02-09-18, 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Looks pretty capable to me:

This is on the stock 19s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfeAx2RBhY

These are the upgrade 20s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EQXismGViE
Google “Getting a Range Rover stuck in a parking lot “.
Old 02-09-18, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Google “Getting a Range Rover stuck in a parking lot “.
You can get any vehicle stuck in a parking lot, that doesn’t mean that it’s not capable off-road. There was a CL member here who got his GX stuck in an inch of mud, doesn’t mean it’s not capable.
Old 02-09-18, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You can get any vehicle stuck in a parking lot, that doesn’t mean that it’s not capable off-road. There was a CL member here who got his GX stuck in an inch of mud, doesn’t mean it’s not capable.

But you are not seeing relevance to the reference to the photo of the 90s Land Rover that was posted. Those vehicles were outstanding off road vehicles. The new models not so much. Out of the box, R.R. and the Navigator are nothing special off pavement. Same thing for a Limited 4Runner with useless 20” rims vs a more dedicated trail model with downsized 17”
Old 02-09-18, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But you are not seeing relevance to the reference to the photo of the 90s Land Rover that was posted. Those vehicles were outstanding off road vehicles. The new models not so much. Out of box, R.R. and the Navigator are nothing special off pavement
Having driven one on an off-road course I just don’t agree with you. A RR is very capable off-road, just watch the videos I posted, that’s the current generation RR. RR will be much more capable than a Navigator.

Are people going to use that capability? No, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there.
Old 02-09-18, 07:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Having driven one on an off-road course I just don’t agree with you. A RR is very capable off-road, just watch the videos I posted, that’s the current generation RR. RR will be much more capable than a Navigator.

Are people going to use that capability? No, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there.
Yes. A RR is capable off road. But the point some of us are trying to make is that the previous models pre IRS designs were much much better suited out of the box for off road activities. That is all.
Old 02-09-18, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But they weren’t nearly as nice to drive, it’s all about tradeoffs.

Bottom line for me is there are only three SUVs that I feel I wouldn’t give up any comfort from a sedan. One is a Q7, another is a Volvo XC90. Those aren’t a huge surprise, the other and above and beyond the best is the Range Rover. Pretty amazing that something can be that way and be as capable as it is.
Old 02-09-18, 07:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Off road where? Have you been in Africa? That would be my question. Videos are not the real world. I like RRs in general, but I understand that they are urban poseur vehicles. That's fine, people want what they want. A staged off road course at some auto show to drum up sales is not ever going to be the real world. RR used advertise this image for a long time but they appear to have walked this back.
Old 02-09-18, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Off road where? Have you been in Africa? That would be my question. Videos are not the real world. I like RRs in general, but I understand that they are urban poseur vehicles. That's fine, people want what they want. A staged off road course at some auto show to drum up sales is not ever going to be the real world. RR used advertise this image for a long time but they appear to have walked this back.
I saw the Land Rover course Steve is talking about at the auto show. It was not a perfect representation of the boonies, but, in general, quite impressive. I think you would agree if you had seen it.
Old 02-09-18, 08:02 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

In Africa the only people who ever drove RR, LR were pretentious bumpfs. Nissan and Toyota rule the day.
Old 02-09-18, 08:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I saw the Land Rover course Steve is talking about at the auto show. It was not a perfect representation of the boonies, but, in general, quite impressive. I think you would agree if you had seen it.
I agree that it can seem impressive at a fancy well staged indoor place. That's for the punters as I like to call them. It's not really the thing about the real world. This is posing by people who need image vs reality. There's an old saying about how you bring in the suckers, you need some shiney stuff and then you distract, after that you tell them it's the perfect solution. Oversell.

At least the Navigator is honest, it's not going offroad, so it's just a urban vanity soccer mom wagon.
Old 02-09-18, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do I live in Africa? LOL. Its a $100,000 luxury vehicle...what do I care what people in Africa drive or prefer? Videos don't prove anything? LOL, okay. The videos speak for themselves, the vehicle is capable of a lot especially given how nice it is to drive. Of course an inside course at a car show isn't the real world, but it gives you an idea of approach and departure angles, suspension articulation, shows off some of the offload technologies.

What I care about is how a vehicle is going to do for the use I'm going to have for it. I haven't driven the new Navigator, but I've driven the old one and everything else remotely comparable as I seriously considered such a vehicle. Unless the new Navigator really surprises me I'm going to prefer the RR. I highly prefer it over the LX570 and thats with me being as big a Lexus guy as I am.

What I want is a soft, smooth refined and quiet vehicle on the road, that also can take me and some people and our stuff on a trip and while we're there (say to southern WV where I go several times a year) get us where we want to go, which involves some light to moderate offroading. My Grand Cherokees worked great in this regard, but weren't as luxurious or nice to drive on the road as the Range Rover. A Range Rover would fit my needs and wants perfectly, way better than a Navigator.

My LS is wonderful to drive down there, but once its down there its gotta stay parked.

The best way I can describe the Range Rover is a Grand Cherokee on steroids. Clearly they aimed at the RR when they designed the GC.
Old 02-09-18, 08:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Do I live in Africa? LOL. Its a $100,000 luxury vehicle...what do I care what people in Africa drive or prefer? Videos don't prove anything? LOL, okay. The videos speak for themselves, the vehicle is capable of a lot especially given how nice it is to drive. Of course an inside course at a car show isn't the real world, but it gives you an idea of approach and departure angles, suspension articulation, shows off some of the offload technologies.

What I care about is how a vehicle is going to do for the use I'm going to have for it. I haven't driven the new Navigator, but I've driven the old one and everything else remotely comparable as I seriously considered such a vehicle. Unless the new Navigator really surprises me I'm going to prefer the RR. I highly prefer it over the LX570 and thats with me being as big a Lexus guy as I am.

What I want is a soft, smooth refined and quiet vehicle on the road, that also can take me and some people and our stuff on a trip and while we're there (say to southern WV where I go several times a year) get us where we want to go, which involves some light to moderate offroading. My Grand Cherokees worked great in this regard, but weren't as luxurious or nice to drive on the road as the Range Rover. A Range Rover would fit my needs and wants perfectly, way better than a Navigator.

My LS is wonderful to drive down there, but once its down there its gotta stay parked.

The best way I can describe the Range Rover is a Grand Cherokee on steroids. Clearly they aimed at the RR when they designed the GC.
Well said. And all you have described above is nothing like those RR models from the 80s and 90s.

Personally speaking, I like somewhat of a firmer ride for an SUV. I like to be able to work when needed or called upon.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-09-18 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews