Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 09:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Do I live in Africa? LOL. Its a $100,000 luxury vehicle...what do I care what people in Africa drive or prefer? Videos don't prove anything? LOL, okay. The videos speak for themselves, the vehicle is capable of a lot especially given how nice it is to drive. Of course an inside course at a car show isn't the real world, but it gives you an idea of approach and departure angles, suspension articulation, shows off some of the offload technologies.

What I care about is how a vehicle is going to do for the use I'm going to have for it. I haven't driven the new Navigator, but I've driven the old one and everything else remotely comparable as I seriously considered such a vehicle. Unless the new Navigator really surprises me I'm going to prefer the RR. I highly prefer it over the LX570 and thats with me being as big a Lexus guy as I am.

What I want is a soft, smooth refined and quiet vehicle on the road, that also can take me and some people and our stuff on a trip and while we're there (say to southern WV where I go several times a year) get us where we want to go, which involves some light to moderate offroading. My Grand Cherokees worked great in this regard, but weren't as luxurious or nice to drive on the road as the Range Rover. A Range Rover would fit my needs and wants perfectly, way better than a Navigator.

My LS is wonderful to drive down there, but once its down there its gotta stay parked.

The best way I can describe the Range Rover is a Grand Cherokee on steroids. Clearly they aimed at the RR when they designed the GC.
Simple question, answered with an essay. Didn't ask if you live in Africa, just asked if you have been to Africa. Couldn't care less what you drive or where you live or what youtube you found online. Sorry, did I trigger some sort of "affluence shaming" here? Hope not. RRs are very nice vehicles, but that's about it.
Old 02-09-18, 10:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Personally speaking, I like somewhat of a firmer ride for an SUV. I like to be able to work when needed or called upon.

What does a firm ride have to do with whether you get to work or not?
Old 02-10-18, 05:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Simple question, answered with an essay. Didn't ask if you live in Africa, just asked if you have been to Africa. Couldn't care less what you drive or where you live or what youtube you found online. Sorry, did I trigger some sort of "affluence shaming" here? Hope not. RRs are very nice vehicles, but that's about it.
Your inference was that having "been to Africa" was a requirement for me to be able to determine whether or not a specific vehicle was capable offload or not. The fact that "Toyotas and Nissans reign" in Africa as you said is meaningless to me. It says nothing about whether or not a Land Rover/Range Rover is capable offroad.

I don't have to have been to the moon to know that there is less gravity on the moon. Also, I don't have to have driven a Range Rover over a rock face to know that its possible when there is documentation of it being done. Have you ever seen something on video you haven't seen in person? Do you insist that it doesn't exist because you haven't seen it yourself?

My question for you would be if you have ever driven a current Range Rover anywhere. You discount my experience having driven them on the road and on that little offload course, but I'll bet its more experience with them than you have, yet you speak with such authority about their capabilities lol. I'm the poser? Right lol
Old 02-10-18, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Your inference was that having "been to Africa" was a requirement for me to be able to determine whether or not a specific vehicle was capable offload or not. The fact that "Toyotas and Nissans reign" in Africa as you said is meaningless to me. It says nothing about whether or not a Land Rover/Range Rover is capable offroad.

I don't have to have been to the moon to know that there is less gravity on the moon. Also, I don't have to have driven a Range Rover over a rock face to know that its possible when there is documentation of it being done. Have you ever seen something on video you haven't seen in person? Do you insist that it doesn't exist because you haven't seen it yourself?

My question for you would be if you have ever driven a current Range Rover anywhere. You discount my experience having driven them on the road and on that little offload course, but I'll bet its more experience with them than you have, yet you speak with such authority about their capabilities lol. I'm the poser? Right lol
Just my observations but you seem to be so offended by the this Lincoln Navigator. I get it, you do not like it and there is probably nothing that will change your mind, but that is OK.

Sometimes you just need to call it for what is it. This new Lincoln is a grand slam home run right out of the park. No doubt about it.
450 horses
10 speed auto
8700lb tow capacity
luxury options all over the place
killer seats
a killer dash
almost universal appraise for the interior
no frustrating Lexus LX remote touch
Apple and Android car play
fold flat rear seats
..and much much more.

I believe this new Navigator has better city EPA MPG than the Lexus LX has highway EPA MPG numbers.

This new Navigator is by far the best luxury SUV on the market. It doesn't take much to realize this.
Old 02-10-18, 06:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought a lame duck outgoing LS460 lol, I’m not somebody who buys cars solely because of their “status”. If I were I would have at least waited for the latest one, or I would have bought a Range Rover or an S Class or something.

I like the Range Rover because I like the style, it’s classy, it’s capable, it’s a great size for me, and it rides and drives like a luxury sedan while having the ability to get me where I want to go in any weather. If I were to buy a Range Rover that would be why, not because “it’s a Range Rover”.

Ive driven all of those big luxury SUVs, not the new Navigator yet obviously. The RR is heads and shoulders the nicest vehicle to drive. You would never know it was a big, heavy a vehicle as it is when you drive it which you cannot say about anything else in the segment.
I wouldnt call the LS a lame duck. Just doesnt have fancy new tech. It's still a Lexus and a great car to drive around and it is still a status symbal. People will know that you've made something of yourself when you pull out in an LS. Yes you prefer RR's but if someone needs to carry 7 or 8 paasengers, RR isnt on their list even at 100k. If someone wants a RR, any Lincolns wouldnt be on their list. It was just a weird comparison.
Old 02-10-18, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just my observations but you seem to be so offended by the this Lincoln Navigator. I get it, you do not like it and there is probably nothing that will change your mind, but that is OK.

Sometimes you just need to call it for what is it. This new Lincoln is a grand slam home run right out of the park. No doubt about it.
450 horses
10 speed auto
8700lb tow capacity
luxury options all over the place
killer seats
a killer dash
almost universal appraise for the interior
no frustrating Lexus LX remote touch
Apple and Android car play
fold flat rear seats
..and much much more.

I believe this new Navigator has better city EPA MPG than the Lexus LX has highway EPA MPG numbers.

This new Navigator is by far the best luxury SUV on the market. It doesn't take much to realize this.
Im not offended by it at all, I agree with much of what you said, it’s a huge vehicle for Lincoln and if I had to tow for instance, I would seriously consider one. I would definitely buy one over an Escalade.

I wouldn’t say it was the “best luxury SUV on the market” at all. That depends on the user. The ONLY reason I would consider a Navigator is if I had to tow or carry large amounts of people, same with an Escalade. Otherwise that sort of vehicle doesn’t appeal to me. I’d much rather have a RR or even a Q7 or XC90 or honestly, even a loaded Grand Cherokee Summit. I’d also rather have an LX570. Big BOF vehicles like the Navigator, Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban try as I might I just don’t like. I don’t like how they drive, I don’t need or want the size or the capabilities the BOF design gives you. I’d much rather have a nice unibody vehicle.

“Best full frame large SUV” sure I might agree with that, but “best luxury SUV” I don’t see at all.

Originally Posted by situman
I wouldnt call the LS a lame duck. Just doesnt have fancy new tech. It's still a Lexus and a great car to drive around and it is still a status symbal. People will know that you've made something of yourself when you pull out in an LS. Yes you prefer RR's but if someone needs to carry 7 or 8 paasengers, RR isnt on their list even at 100k. If someone wants a RR, any Lincolns wouldnt be on their list. It was just a weird comparison.
Like I said above, I agree 100%.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-10-18 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 07:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Im not offended by it at all, I agree with much of what you said, it’s a huge vehicle for Lincoln and if I had to tow for instance, I would seriously consider one. I would definitely buy one over an Escalade.

I wouldn’t say it was the “best luxury SUV on the market” at all. That depends on the user. The ONLY reason I would consider a Navigator is if I had to tow or carry large amounts of people, same with an Escalade. Otherwise that sort of vehicle doesn’t appeal to me. I’d much rather have a RR or even a Q7 or XC90 or honestly, even a loaded Grand Cherokee Summit. I’d also rather have an LX570. Big BOF vehicles like the Navigator, Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban try as I might I just don’t like. I don’t like how they drive, I don’t need or want the size or the capabilities the BOF design gives you. I’d much rather have a nice unibody vehicle.

“Best full frame large SUV” sure I might agree with that, but “best luxury SUV” I don’t see at all.

Like I said above, I agree 100%.
When I said luxury SUV, I should of said full size or large. Although I have not driven them all, if it were my money I would gravitate more to the Land Rover Discover (non sport) or a Toyota Land Cruiser in place of the LX which has just horrible styling. I have always like the size of the Land Cruiser/LX vs the North American full sizers. But the Disco I find very appealing in the design.
Old 02-10-18, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have always like the size of the Land Cruiser/LX vs the North American full sizers.

That's because Toyota doesn't base the platform of the LC/LX off of the full-size Tundra pickup the same way that American manufacturers do wth their full-size pickups. In fact, like the original Land Rover itself in 1948, (though it has little or nothing to do with this thread) the original Land Cruiser was essentially a converted American miltary-spec Jeep.
Old 02-10-18, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When I said luxury SUV, I should of said full size or large. Although I have not driven them all, if it were my money I would gravitate more to the Land Rover Discover (non sport) or a Toyota Land Cruiser in place of the LX which has just horrible styling. I have always like the size of the Land Cruiser/LX vs the North American full sizers. But the Disco I find very appealing in the design.
For me it all depends on what role the vehicle serves.

The Discovery is nice, I have as good friend that has one and I've driven it and ride in it a lot. If it were going too be my wife's primary and something I just drove for fun or on a trip or in bad weather that would be fine, but for my primary that would replace my LS its not a nice enough vehicle. They don't ride all that well, the rear seats are low to the ground and uncomfortable. I don't love the styling although it has grown on me. At that price point I'd much rather have an Audi Q7. Better looking IMHO, better to drive, nicer and more comfortable inside. Not as capable, but I don't need it to be.

I actually like the way the current LX looks, but they're too heavy feeling and tiring to drive for me to drive every day. The RR feels much smaller and lighter even though it isn't.
Old 02-10-18, 09:14 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LX570 which is more money BTW has hard plastic on the lower half of the doors too.
None of these large SUVs have truly impressive interiors. The most disappointing is the GLS...cheap materials abound. The Navi is definitely nicer inside.
Old 02-10-18, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
None of these large SUVs have truly impressive interiors. The most disappointing is the GLS...cheap materials abound. The Navi is definitely nicer inside.
The LX has specifically surprising hard cheap plastic on the lower doors and dash. The Range Rover has a very nice interior with excellent materials, the Navigator does also, the Escalade is better than the LX in that regard.
Old 02-10-18, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I was decently impressed with it's interior at NAIAS. However, the doors were hard plastic from the halfway point down
I have no problem with this as it's more resistant to damage and marks from foot kicking when getting in and out.
Old 02-10-18, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The LX has specifically surprising hard cheap plastic on the lower doors and dash. The Range Rover has a very nice interior with excellent materials, the Navigator does also, the Escalade is better than the LX in that regard.
Interesting. The Continental uses much the same interior materials (in a somewhat different pattern) than the Navigator, yet you said (if I remember correctly) that you didn't care for the Continental's interior. I think we both agreed, though, that the electronic door-release button was ridiculous.
Old 02-10-18, 12:23 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

I didn't mention the Range Rover because I don't believe it has 7 seats. It seems to have a different clientele than your average Escalade, Navigator, LX, GLS, QX80 consumer. The latter group seems more akin to wanting 7 seats, high towing capacity for their boat, etc.
Old 02-10-18, 12:27 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I have no problem with this as it's more resistant to damage and marks from foot kicking when getting in and out.
Depends on the material being used down there. Hard plastic will show more marks than some soft touch infused plastic, but won't get as damaged as leather. Plus, plastic is super easy to clean.

I sat in a loaded up F250 Platinum or whatever recently and felt that despite the leather and some wood the interior still felt very cheap. The doors were almost entirely hard plastic. However, it makes sense as a truck is still a truck and will be used as a truck. When you get inside with muddy shoes or whatever you wouldn't want leather down there. Plus, people in the market for such vehicles aren't obsessive over every detail of the interior so it's obviously an area Ford can cut costs on.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews