Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 07:21 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Soooooooooo my wife has a 16 LX570. Our main gripe is outdated tech and lack of space in 3rd row (which we use daily). We have always admired the Navigator from afar but here in Frisco, TX there is an "Lincoln Experience Center" - think of it as a fancy showroom like the Tesla showrooms.

Wife sits in a Black Label Navigator...loves it. Roomy 3rd row even for adults, tons of USB ports, easier to get into the 3rd row, car feels peppier with the Ford Raptor-derived engine. It doesn't drive as smooth as LX570, doesn't have an air suspension, two additional key dings for the Lincoln are resale value and unproven reliability (power running boards were an issue in previous gen).

So we get in a heated discussion on alternatives - she hates the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade variants. She dislikes vans (I personally like the Pacifica), didn't like the VW Atlas (test drove it before she bought the LX) and wouldn't even step foot in a Traverse. Also doesn't like the GLS, which I actually do given more modern features & usable afore-mentioned 3rd row.

We end up at a fork in the road here, prioritizing safety features (adaptive cruise, pre-collision automatic braking) and 3rd row space:
a) Jump in for the Navigator (MSRP $90k for the Reserve trim, can get ~10% off MSRP) because I have yet to find one horrible review about it
b) Get the Sequoia (MSRP $68k for Platinum, can get it for about $60k) because while it is outdated as heck, it has reliability and holds its value
c) Suffer for a little longer till maybe the 2020 Sequoia re-design gets announced and hopefully becomes for sale end of 2019

My question is: While I've always been a Toyota/Lexus fan, the Navigator seems like an anomaly in the Lincoln line-up. Would it be so bad to make the leap from an LX570 to a Navigator?
Old 01-15-19, 11:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

While not a body on frame truck, have you looked at the Aviator thats coming out?
Old 01-15-19, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

How long would you be keeping it? Can you lease the Navigator to avoid the uncertain depreciation?

IMHO the Navigator is more vehicle than the LX.
Old 01-15-19, 12:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LX has to compromise being off road capable (even tho most owners will not off road it). So its not as a good on road SUV, vice versa for the navigator etc
Old 01-15-19, 06:42 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How long would you be keeping it? Can you lease the Navigator to avoid the uncertain depreciation?

IMHO the Navigator is more vehicle than the LX.
Agreed - will re-think on leasing as I don't really imagine keeping the Navigator for past 4 years when the warranty runs out (plus there are so many new electric vehicles & concepts going to be released by 2022). Good idea - unfortunately Texas charges tax on the entire vehicle price (not just the lease amount). Due to it being such a hot seller, incentives aren't aplenty and used Navigators are holding their values decent currently...

Aviator - fear the 3rd row would be like the Exploder (yes I spelt that correctly) where the 3rd row is like the Highlander...decent but not for regular prolonged usage...

Worst case I told my wife we'll just rent a van for super-long trips.
Side note - I owned a Ford Flex, loved that thing, all the kids loved it too - just didn't have modern features to keep up..