Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 03:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Some thoughts:

2) Being the most recent of it's competitors, it's bound to look better than those. Once the Escaldae gets it's turn, everyone will likely be saying the same about that. The new kid on the block always gets the attention.
Agreed, but IMO newest is not always best. Depends on the specific vehicle.

3) $100k is outrageous and a rip-off. So is that price for it's GM competitors. There is a massive profit and mark-up with full-size SUV's, and this one is taking advantage of the public to the fullest. This should be about 10k more than an Expedition, which should all stick around $50-$60k tops. Nothing else here warrants anything higher. These are cheap to produce trucks when you strip them down
True, it remains on a BOF pickup-frame like its predecessors, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's cheap to produce. Remember, like the F-150 it's based on, the new Navigator now has an aluminum body...and this year will introduce an all-new 10-speed automatic co-developed with GM.

4) Marvelous interior and great selection of colors. We need more red, brown, and blue interiors. The same old black, gray, and beige editions are tiresome. It's time to move on.
Personally, I'm with you on the interior colors...but Ho-Hum neutral interior colors seem to be what many people want. They go with virtually any exterior color without fuss.

6) Lack of a gear shifter is a safety hazard and inconvenience.
Disagree.....not if it is done correctly. And most new Lincolns have a nice set of easy-to-use buttons that eliminate the guesswork of E-Shifters.

I am positive this unit will sell very well here in L.A. It is the perfect mobile for LAX high zoot shuttle and limo drivers, the Hollywood elite, and the south of the Blvd. clan.
Not just in L.A......but probably any place where there is a lot of money to spend on new vehicles. The D.C. region, where I live, with its massive amounts of money and job-security from good government and high-tech jobs, is probably second only to L.A. / SoCal in the number of new vehicles sold each year.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-17 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 05:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
3) $100k is outrageous and a rip-off. So is that price for it's GM competitors. There is a massive profit and mark-up with full-size SUV's, and this one is taking advantage of the public to the fullest. This should be about 10k more than an Expedition, which should all stick around $50-$60k tops. Nothing else here warrants anything higher. These are cheap to produce trucks when you strip them down.
Never thought I would see Lincoln top a Lexus LX
Old 11-05-17, 05:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Too much $$$.
Wheels are ugly and would be a PITA to clean.
Old 11-05-17, 06:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It will continue to chase the Escalade in sales but should do much better than the current gen.
Old 11-05-17, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

These trucks are worth as much as they cost because that’s what people pay for them. I would never pay $75k for a loaded Suburban or Tahoe but look at how many of them are on the road, there are a ton of people who do so who are we to say they are overpriced?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hard to say with any credibility that they’ve topped a Lexus LX when you haven’t even driven one or seen one in person yet. The reviews I’ve read say the ride quality is not very good, which is an issue in this luxury class certainly as all those big SUVs have great ride quality, the LX especially. I don’t care for the LX, it’s too heavy to drive every day IMHO, but to say this is a “better vehicle” is premature. We need to drive it first.
Old 11-05-17, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Looked at all the interior pics and it looks really cheaply done.
Old 11-05-17, 09:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

This Lincoln was designed with a people mover/limo service in mind where as the LX was designed for being a people mover/serious offroad vehicle.
Lincoln does NOT have any credible offroad ability out of the box or in modified form. You can see that in its suspension and chassis design.

The reason LX has less than stellar interior ergonomics and less room, besides being the smaller vehicle, is the fact that everything is tucked up high into the frame for optimal clearance. Install some actual steel bumpers on it in place of the tacky factory bumpers, put AT ties on it, and you have an incredibly capable offroad rig that can easily haul 5 people in comfort.

The Lincoln is exactly what it always was when it was introduced and compared to the original LX470. Read back o nthose reviews, it was the same deal.... Lincoln has more room, blah blah blah, but fast forward twenty years and look at how both vehicles have faired. Nobody wants to be caught dead in a 1998 Navigator these days yet you can spot 1998 LX in every area of this country, some still owned by the original owners because of how well those vehicles were made.

Sure, Lincoln has its advantages and is probably a better vehicles if your only goal is to move people around the city and highway, but forget any offroad action on even mild trails.....look at those humongous wheels and rubber band tires. I'd be scared to take that on a gravel farm road. Two completely different setups so would not be fair to even compare the two aside from price point and both being full size SUVs. Everything else is night and day difference.
Old 11-05-17, 10:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
This Lincoln was designed with a people mover/limo service in mind where as the LX was designed for being a people mover/serious offroad vehicle.
Lincoln does NOT have any credible offroad ability out of the box or in modified form. You can see that in its suspension and chassis design.

The reason LX has less than stellar interior ergonomics and less room, besides being the smaller vehicle, is the fact that everything is tucked up high into the frame for optimal clearance. Install some actual steel bumpers on it in place of the tacky factory bumpers, put AT ties on it, and you have an incredibly capable offroad rig that can easily haul 5 people in comfort.

The Lincoln is exactly what it always was when it was introduced and compared to the original LX470. Read back o nthose reviews, it was the same deal.... Lincoln has more room, blah blah blah, but fast forward twenty years and look at how both vehicles have faired. Nobody wants to be caught dead in a 1998 Navigator these days yet you can spot 1998 LX in every area of this country, some still owned by the original owners because of how well those vehicles were made.

Sure, Lincoln has its advantages and is probably a better vehicles if your only goal is to move people around the city and highway, but forget any offroad action on even mild trails.....look at those humongous wheels and rubber band tires. I'd be scared to take that on a gravel farm road. Two completely different setups so would not be fair to even compare the two aside from price point and both being full size SUVs. Everything else is night and day difference.
Give me a break on the LX tough talk. No lockers, enough said.
Old 11-05-17, 10:18 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Give me a break on the LX tough talk. No lockers, enough said.
Have you seen what 200 series can do completely stock?

I don't even like 200's for the many reasons others don't but you cannot deny their capability.

Can you even order lockers for a Navigator? What options does THAT have? Zero. nuff said.

Americans are good at one thing, flash, big engines, and more flash. That's why they make great cars for people to lease and enjoy those first three years of ownership. After that, next thing you know those 100k trucks are $8k on Craigslist with so many problems that even at that price nobody (reasonable or with a brain) want to touch them with a ten foot stick.
Old 11-05-17, 10:19 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Jill post ONE video of a stock/semi stock (without $50k of suspension and frame upgrades) Tahoe, Escalade, or Navigator video showing what they can do off the road. Please I am waiting.
Old 11-05-17, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Have you seen what 200 series can do completely stock?

I don't even like 200's for the many reasons others don't but you cannot deny their capability.

Can you even order lockers for a Navigator? What options does THAT have? Zero. nuff said.

Americans are good at one thing, flash, big engines, and more flash. That's why they make great cars for people to lease and enjoy those first three years of ownership. After that, next thing you know those 100k trucks are $8k on Craigslist with so many problems that even at that price nobody (reasonable or with a brain) want to touch them with a ten foot stick.
I really don't care what a 200 series can do. We are talking about the Lexus version of the 200 series and the new Nav. The LX is not the SUV it once was.
Old 11-05-17, 10:28 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Since you didn't post a video.... I'll do it for you Jill.

HAHAHA. That's about all you're gonna do with that Navigator.

Old 11-05-17, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Jill post ONE video of a stock/semi stock (without $50k of suspension and frame upgrades) Tahoe, Escalade, or Navigator video showing what they can do off the road. Please I am waiting.
Without lockers on either the LX or Nav. Who cares? I wouldn't dare go deep off road without lockers. And for all the praise the 200 series gets, it does not come to the US with lockers.

Never thought I would say it, but Jeep, GM, Ford and Dodge can all be had with locking diffs. Sad the Lexus lineup does not offer it. Only the 4Runner and Taco have this capability and will perform much better than the US LC or LX
Old 11-05-17, 10:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Since you didn't post a video.... I'll do it for you Jill.

HAHAHA. That's about all you're gonna do with that Navigator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzsdAskljI
For what's it worth. There is a Motor Trend video (I think it's MT) where the LC gets it rear diff stuck on a rock. Sad to see. Also sad is the 8.9 running ground clearance of the stock LC. They are not the same as the once were. At least not in North America.
Old 11-05-17, 10:39 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Without lockers on either the LX or Nav. Who cares? I wouldn't dare go deep off road without lockers. And for all the praise the 200 series gets, it does not come to the US with lockers.

Never thought I would say it, but Jeep, GM, Ford and Dodge can all be had with locking diffs. Sad the Lexus lineup does not offer it. Only the 4Runner and Taco have this capability and will perform much better than the US LC or LX
There are several companies that offer a diff option for a 200 series. One being Harrop Eaton (who manufactures OEM Toyota lockers for many of their TRD models). Cost under $4k installed for the front and rear together. Can be done in a day with ease by any capable offroad shop.

So what's the problem again?

You're paying WAY more than $4k to get the 4R TRD Pro which only gives ONLY ONE rear locker and basic AT tires and mild lift.

You are stuck on an argument and completely disregarding all the aftermarket options available for these vehicles. Toyota's ATRAC is so capable, that most people don't even go the locker route because unless you're running on hard trails every day, ATRAC will get you through 90% of most popular trails in this country.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews