Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 10:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
There are several companies that offer a diff option for a 200 series. One being Harrop Eaton (who manufactures OEM Toyota lockers for many of their TRD models). Cost under $4k installed for the front and rear together. Can be done in a day with ease by any capable offroad shop.

So what's the problem again?

You're paying WAY more than $4k to get the 4R TRD Pro which only gives ONLY ONE rear locker and basic AT tires and mild lift.

You are stuck on an argument and completely disregarding all the aftermarket options available for these vehicles. Toyota's ATRAC is so capable, that most people don't even go the locker route because unless you're running on hard trails every day, ATRAC will get you through 90% of most popular trails in this country.
All my comments are based on stock. One should not have to pay extra on a $90K Land Cruiser or LX to have lockers. Sad, cuz almost all other manufacturers offer them stock from the factory.
Old 11-05-17, 10:46 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
almost all other manufacturers offer them stock from the factory.
What? Who?

Make a list please because that is total BS.

I hope you're joking.

Next post, Jill saying that a CRV comes stock with lockers haha.
Old 11-05-17, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What? Who?

Make a list please because that is total BS.

I hope you're joking.

Next post, Jill saying that a CRV comes stock with lockers haha.
Jeep, Ford, Toyota, GM all can be had with factory locking differentials. Nothing drom Lexus and it's sad as the range topping LC does not offer it at the price they are charging.
Old 11-05-17, 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
These trucks are worth as much as they cost because that’s what people pay for them. I would never pay $75k for a loaded Suburban or Tahoe but look at how many of them are on the road, there are a ton of people who do so who are we to say they are overpriced?

Hard to say with any credibility that they’ve topped a Lexus LX when you haven’t even driven one or seen one in person yet. The reviews I’ve read say the ride quality is not very good, which is an issue in this luxury class certainly as all those big SUVs have great ride quality, the LX especially. I don’t care for the LX, it’s too heavy to drive every day IMHO, but to say this is a “better vehicle” is premature. We need to drive it first.
my comments about the Nav bring superior are based on reviews that seem to reflect that. At least from the perspective that I have seen.

It's a bit difficult to argue that the Nav is not superior. Towing, size, power, torque, towing, fuel efficiency all favour in the Lincolns direction. Heck it's even got Android Auto and Apple Car play and not silly remote touch.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-05-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Why are we even discussing locking diffs on a $100k LX nobody will ever take off-road?

Why is it “sad” Lexus doesn’t offer a feature that absolutely nobody would ever need or want?

The LX and the LC are dramatically over capable for what almost all buyers in the US do with them even without lockers. It’s not a rock crawler lol.

I won’t declare anything “superior” until I have spent time with it and driven it. I will say the Range Rover is superior IMHO, but I have no reason to make a value judgement about the Navigator until I’ve at least sat in one. I wouldn’t choose an Escalade over an LX having driven and spent time with each for instance.
Old 11-05-17, 02:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Why are we even discussing locking diffs on a $100k LX nobody will ever take off-road?

Why is it “sad” Lexus doesn’t offer a feature that absolutely nobody would ever need or want?

The LX and the LC are dramatically over capable for what almost all buyers in the US do with them even without lockers. It’s not a rock crawler lol.

I won’t declare anything “superior” until I have spent time with it and driven it. I will say the Range Rover is superior IMHO, but I have no reason to make a value judgement about the Navigator until I’ve at least sat in one. I wouldn’t choose an Escalade over an LX having driven and spent time with each for instance.
I stated that the LX was built with a different mission in mind (both on road and off road use) where as the Navigator is clearly built for on road use, towing your fishing boat, etc.

Jill completely missed this point and says the Navigator is the better vehicle. Better for what? For on-road highway use? I would hope so because it was built for that.

The navigator is for people that are too embarrassed to be seen driving a minivan and want something with the same utility and power to tow. Nothing more. Think fully loaded Sienna with a bigger engine and better towing capability and "cool looks".

Why is Jill even comparing it to an LX?

Is 4dr JK also an inferior vehicle because it only tows ~3k pounds? No, it's vastly superior in many ways and people buy them for other reasons but towing 9000lbs and having interior room for a small classroom.... not everybody has crap to tow believe it or not and not everybody has 6 children.

Learn how to acknowledge each vehicle's strengths and weaknesses before coming out here and saying something is better.
Old 11-05-17, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Highly doubt the LX is anymore over built than the new Nav. Just look at the tow, haul and GVWR of each. I would say the Nav is superior. The GVWR of the Nav has not yet been released.

And any any discussion of a luxury vehicle off roading merits the discussion of locking diffs. All previous LX models offered either both front and rear or just rear. Sad the new one does not offer it.

For or the record, I never said the New Nav is better off road.
Old 11-05-17, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I stated that the LX was built with a different mission in mind (both on road and off road use) where as the Navigator is clearly built for on road use, towing your fishing boat, etc.

Jill completely missed this point and says the Navigator is the better vehicle. Better for what? For on-road highway use? I would hope so because it was built for that.

The navigator is for people that are too embarrassed to be seen driving a minivan and want something with the same utility and power to tow. Nothing more. Think fully loaded Sienna with a bigger engine and better towing capability and "cool looks".

Is 4dr JK also an inferior vehicle because it only tows ~3k pounds? No, it's vastly superior in many ways and people buy them for other reasons but towing 9000lbs and having interior room for a small classroom.... not everybody has crap to tow believe it or not and not everybody has 6 children.

Learn how to acknowledge each vehicle's strengths and weaknesses before coming out here and saying something is better.
Relax. I said it's superior based on the reviews I read. The technical details, size, capabilities all conf
Old 11-05-17, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

On the lock vs. no-lock argument, I agree with Jill that true off-roading argues in favor of it. But what is sometimes overlooked here (97SC300 and SW15LS at least touched on it) is that very few owners actually use an LX or Navigator for hard-core stuff off-road. They generally aren't designed for it (although the LX does have that electronically-adjustable ride-height for ground clearance), most of the owners don't care about it, and, most of the time, they are used simply as all-weather, luxury-grade station wagons on hard pavement. True, a locking center-diff can also help out in snow or slippery surfaces on hard pavement, but even that, to some extent, is by-passed by the newer AWD electronic torque-distribution.

Also, let's be honest....look at the typical paint job on LX or Navigator, and the quality/plushness of the exterior/interior trim and fittings. How may owners are actually going to want to go out in conditions that will scratch it up or get mud and dirt all over the vehicle? Not only that, but many insurance policies don't cover off-road use. So, for the Navigator, at least (the Range-Rover, with its more-common off-road use, might be a different story), having open differentials is one area where some legitimate cost-savings can be made by the manufacturer...not many owners are likely to care.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-17 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree on all counts.
Old 11-05-17, 03:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Highly doubt the LX is anymore over built than the new Nav. Just look at the tow, haul and GVWR of each. I would say the Nav is superior. The GVWR of the Nav has not yet been released.
The Navigator is "overequipped". That is much different than "overbuilt".

Overbuilt (Toyota) is detuning the motor and drivetrain to last half a million miles without a hickup. Overequipped (Lincoln) is stuffing a small displacement turbo motor to get impressive numbers.... I would like to see the service bill on those trucks after they run a quarter million miles....

Toyota, and especially their LC model has a history of being under-tuned. That's why they last so long and demand such a high premium on the used market. The only thing that even comes remotely close are American diesel powered trucks, but those are a different animal and have higher service costs and are more finicky despite being capable of running a million miles.

I should note that it's a compliment that we are even slightly comparing the 2018 6-figure Lincoln model, to the already ten year old design of the LX which was released in 2008 despite going through facelifts.

Not one word here about the 2008 era Lincoln Navigator haha. For a very good reason.
Old 11-05-17, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Find me a mechanic familiar with these vehicles that will say an LX/LC isn’t overbuilt lol

It is quite simply one of the most capable, solid and reliable vehicles one can buy. I wouldn’t buy one, but they are what they are.
Old 11-05-17, 03:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

The game is still the same, the Big Three automakers in the US still playing the power and gadgets game. Nothing new to see here.

"Our truck has more room, more power, and more standard and optional gadgets." Blah blah blah. That's how it's always been.

Those vehicles do not last. They fall apart in a couple of years.
Old 11-05-17, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Find me a mechanic familiar with these vehicles that will say an LX/LC isn’t overbuilt lol

It is quite simply one of the most capable, solid and reliable vehicles one can buy. I wouldn’t buy one, but they are what they are.
.....yet you would consider buying a Range Rover (or was it the Range Rover Sport), which, granted, is quite plush and comfortable, but, in general, doesn't have the LX reliability.

(I'm not posing this as a definite statement, but a question, based on your previous posts)
Old 11-05-17, 04:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Navigator is "overequipped". That is much different than "overbuilt".

Overbuilt (Toyota) is detuning the motor and drivetrain to last half a million miles without a hickup. Overequipped (Lincoln) is stuffing a small displacement turbo motor to get impressive numbers.... I would like to see the service bill on those trucks after they run a quarter million miles....

Toyota, and especially their LC model has a history of being under-tuned. That's why they last so long and demand such a high premium on the used market. The only thing that even comes remotely close are American diesel powered trucks, but those are a different animal and have higher service costs and are more finicky despite being capable of running a million miles.

I should note that it's a compliment that we are even slightly comparing the 2018 6-figure Lincoln model, to the already ten year old design of the LX which was released in 2008 despite going through facelifts.

Not one word here about the 2008 era Lincoln Navigator haha. For a very good reason.
I have no doubt Toyota SUVs are overbuilt. However, the new Lincoln is getting great reviews. It's got great capability and pretty good capacities. As per the older gens, never did I say the older Navs are great.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews