Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 08:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Navigator is also significantly larger, more bulky, and has much lower Approach/Breakover/Departure angles than an RR, which, of course, makes it less-suitable for classic off-road operations.
I agree, but to be honest 90% of buyers of an RR would be confused as to what those terms mean. Most care that RRs are legendary offroad machine and a Kardashian owns one so of course its going to be good.
Old 02-07-18, 08:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Given how nice both of those vehicles are, I think Cadillac is going to be under some pressure to make some major improvements on the next-generation Escalade. Although I often express my opinions, I'm going to do something that I rarely do on Car Chat....make an actual out-and-out prediction. Unless the engineers are simply determined to have maximum-towing capacity at all costs, I'm reasonably certain that the next-generation Escalade (and, of course, its Suburban/Yukon cousins) will dump the solid (live) rear axle that the Suburban has had since 1936....for over 80 years. That, of course, will make a noticeable improvement in the ride and handling...something that has been an Escalade weak point for years.
If they keep the new Silverado interior layout....Navigator wins easily. Those black label seats are sooooo good (as long as your under warranty I assume).
Old 02-07-18, 08:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lincoln and Cadillac have a perception problem so you basically have to figure out if you're going sell these to ballers (NBA, NFL, MLB), limo services (hello Kardishians), or quiet people who just love what a Brit-snob SUV does for them. At least the RR has a silly pretense about going off road. It's going to be interesting to see if anyone dares to take a Navigator into the deep jungle and trash it.
Old 02-07-18, 09:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lincoln and Cadillac have a perception problem so you basically have to figure out if you're going sell these to ballers (NBA, NFL, MLB), limo services (hello Kardishians), or quiet people who just love what a Brit-snob SUV does for them. At least the RR has a silly pretense about going off road. It's going to be interesting to see if anyone dares to take a Navigator into the deep jungle and trash it.
Around where I live taking a vehicle the size of the Navigator(aka Ford Raptor, they're similar in size) off-road is a fool. Even something like a Range Rover or previous gen Discovery is too big. Most of the off road trails around here go through the woods and are narrow *** goat paths. Something the size of a Jeep Wranger, Suzuki Samurai or an old 80's/90's/early 2000's Toyota truck is what you want, a wide *** truck like a Raptor, Tahoe, full size truck is going to get stuck when you realize there are two trees that are just 2-3" too close together. Bigger trucks make more sense out west and in the desert where there are no trees.

Anyways, this is all a moot point, nobody off-roads these type of trucks, at least when they are new or relatively new.

I hope the new Navigator lights a fire under Cadillac's ***, because the current Escalade sucks in some key areas like technology/infotainment system, fit/finish/design on the interior, space efficiency/roominess in the 2nd/3rd row seats, both in long and short wheelbase.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-07-18 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 08:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I personally wouldn’t select a Navigator over a Range Rover. I wouldn’t even consider one. It’s a nice vehicle, but the only reason I would consider one is if I needed to tow or I needed to carry a lot of people. Range Rover is only 2 rows remember.

To to fair, $100k is a maxed out Black Label, most Navigators will be mid $80s to $90k. With any options at all a Range Rover is $100k, and optioned like a Black Label Navigator one is more like $130k.

Even so, I would rather have a lightly optioned RR than a fully loaded Navigator.
Are RR and the Nav competitors? The Nav you are paying for utility, space and a nice interior to go with it. RR is just for people to drive around telling people they have money.
Old 02-08-18, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Are RR and the Nav competitors? The Nav you are paying for utility, space and a nice interior to go with it. RR is just for people to drive around telling people they have money.
I don't personally think they really are competitors, but people are comparing them.

I don't entirely agree with your characterization of the RR. If you want a flagship luxury sedan comfortable ride and drive with the utility and go anywhere ability, cargo capacity of an SUV its hard to beat the Range Rover.
Old 02-08-18, 09:34 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't personally think they really are competitors, but people are comparing them.

I don't entirely agree with your characterization of the RR. If you want a flagship luxury sedan comfortable ride and drive with the utility and go anywhere ability, cargo capacity of an SUV its hard to beat the Range Rover.
The Range Rover is most definitely a status symbol here in Southern California. I agree that it is a great combination of luxury and utility, however, it's still a status symbol. Most people buy it for the name and not the utility. The only off road use it will ever get in LA are the potholed sections of Sunset Blvd and Mulholland.

I'm rooting for Lincoln with the new Navigator. The interior on the Escalade looks cheap to me. The lack of physical buttons on the dash and the swaths of plastic don't do it for me. The Navigator interior is on another level. I sat in the new Navigator at the LA Auto Show and was impressed. The only issue I can see is maybe someone would rather spend $75k for a top of the line Expedition vs. $75k for a base Navigator. I wouldn't think Lincoln gets too many buyers where money is no object. I'm assuming more of their buyers are looking for value. I could be wrong, though.
Old 02-08-18, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course it’s a status symbol, all of these vehicles are.
Old 02-08-18, 02:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I dont agree with the cargo capacity of an Navigator is in the same league as the RR. Its just way to huge of a vehicle inside then the RR. Not saying the RR is small, but compared to the XL frame the Navigator or even the Caddie, whole different league.
Old 02-08-18, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I dont agree with the cargo capacity of an Navigator is in the same league as the RR. Its just way to huge of a vehicle inside then the RR. Not saying the RR is small, but compared to the XL frame the Navigator or even the Caddie, whole different league.
I never said it was. However not everbody needs the cargo capacity of a Navigator, and just because the RR may be smaller doesn’t mean it doesn’t have utility.

Range Rover would be the perfect size for me.
Old 02-08-18, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

After just signing off, though, on two almost-new leases, would you be willing to wait almost three years for one?
Old 02-08-18, 06:26 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I never said it was. However not everbody needs the cargo capacity of a Navigator, and just because the RR may be smaller doesn’t mean it doesn’t have utility.

I agree on the sizing...also navigators and caddies are usually in HIGH Demand as Limo vehicles, which yes it shouldnt take away from the value of the beast but you dont see many limos on RR chassis.
Old 02-09-18, 07:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Of course it’s a status symbol, all of these vehicles are.
Yes and you would choose the RR because it is a RR. People choose Navs for a completely different reason or you are a hulking linebacker or Shaq.

Last edited by situman; 02-09-18 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 10:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know why people buy the Range Rover, its basically a big traditional luxury sedan on stilts, so you can sit higher than everybody else unlike your traditional sedan. I mean it has all those great attributes of the old Jag sedans(closest thing I could think of since they're both british), the nice leather, impeccably trimmed cabin, the tomb like quiet and plush ride, no real sense of sporty-ness, they're both built to be supremely comfortable cruisers. Yet RR has managed to keep that sort of quaint British charm while still keeping the styling/technology current.

All that pretense of them being great off road is a bunch of marketing nonsense IMO, its not how people really use their range rover and they even come with the wrong wheel/tire package from the factory if you did want to do more than a gravel or snow covered road.

Also the RR, since it only has two rows of seats, I see it as more of a style based self indulgence sort of purchase, something somebody with no kids(or maybe 1 or 2) would buy. The guy buying the Navigator or Escalade, I'm betting he has a few kids and needs the room to haul them and all their buddies around to soccer practice, or tow that party boat up to the lake.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-09-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
that pretense of them being great off road is a bunch of marketing nonsense IMO,
Do you remember the Camel Trophy runs? Those, alone, prove that the legendary capability of RRs off-road isn't nonsense.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews