Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 12:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you remember the Camel Trophy runs? Those, alone, prove that the legendary capability of RRs off-road isn't nonsense.

I'm not saying they don't have a great heritage of building off road vehicles, but that picture is a 20 year old Discovery, not a new Range Rover. Granted new RR's do have a pretty trick electronic 4wd system and adjustable air suspension, the hardware is there under the skin, but then the factory gimps them with on-road performance 22" low profile tire package.

My point is "A new Range Rover is great off road" is all marketing hype. They want the customer to recall a picture like the one you posted, even though the trucks aren't equipped to do that sort of thing out of the box and nobody uses them that way. At least not until they're down to their 3rd or 4th owner who bought it for $2000 to bash around in the woods.
Old 02-09-18, 01:07 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was decently impressed with it's interior at NAIAS. However, the doors were hard plastic from the halfway point down and a flap of the carpet on the front passenger side had peeled off (and this was 30 minutes after the show had opened to the public). I suppose it's still better than the Escalade which is all Ford needed to do to make sales.
Old 02-09-18, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I was decently impressed with it's interior at NAIAS. However, the doors were hard plastic from the halfway point down and a flap of the carpet on the front passenger side had peeled off (and this was 30 minutes after the show had opened to the public). I suppose it's still better than the Escalade which is all Ford needed to do to make sales.
LX570 which is more money BTW has hard plastic on the lower half of the doors too.
Old 02-09-18, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Yes and you would choose the RR because it is a RR. People choose Navs for a completely different reason or you are a hulking linebacker or Shaq.
I bought a lame duck outgoing LS460 lol, I’m not somebody who buys cars solely because of their “status”. If I were I would have at least waited for the latest one, or I would have bought a Range Rover or an S Class or something.

I like the Range Rover because I like the style, it’s classy, it’s capable, it’s a great size for me, and it rides and drives like a luxury sedan while having the ability to get me where I want to go in any weather. If I were to buy a Range Rover that would be why, not because “it’s a Range Rover”.

Ive driven all of those big luxury SUVs, not the new Navigator yet obviously. The RR is heads and shoulders the nicest vehicle to drive. You would never know it was a big, heavy a vehicle as it is when you drive it which you cannot say about anything else in the segment.
Old 02-09-18, 02:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I saw one of these on the road the other day and all I thought was "holy crap this this is huge".

Was not expecting it to be that big.
Old 02-09-18, 02:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
That's unfortunate. I hope they got it slapped back on quickly and permanently.
Old 02-09-18, 03:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'm not saying they don't have a great heritage of building off road vehicles, but that picture is a 20 year old Discovery, not a new Range Rover. Granted new RR's do have a pretty trick electronic 4wd system and adjustable air suspension, the hardware is there under the skin, but then the factory gimps them with on-road performance 22" low profile tire package.

My point is "A new Range Rover is great off road" is all marketing hype. They want the customer to recall a picture like the one you posted, even though the trucks aren't equipped to do that sort of thing out of the box and nobody uses them that way. At least not until they're down to their 3rd or 4th owner who bought it for $2000 to bash around in the woods.
100% completely agree. Those Discos have solid axles. Proper locking diffs. Excellent angles of approach and depart.
Old 02-09-18, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
100% completely agree. Those Discos have solid axles. Proper locking diffs. Excellent angles of approach and depart.
The Discovery is not the only Land Rover product to have locking differentials. They are also found on the Range Rover Velar and some other versions.

http://robbreport.com/motors/cars/la...velar-2770781/
Old 02-09-18, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I saw one of these on the road the other day and all I thought was "holy crap this this is huge".

Was not expecting it to be that big.

Small it ain't. The Navigator has always been done on the F-150/Expedition chassis. And, if course, a few years ago, they introduced a long-wheelbase version to compete with the Escalade ESV.
Old 02-09-18, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Range Rovers actually are quite capable off-road out of the box.
Old 02-09-18, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Range Rovers actually are quite capable off-road out of the box.
You are not going to go far with those 21” rims and tires. Yes, Australian models perhaps. But not like the past models.
Old 02-09-18, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You are not going to go far with those 21” rims and tires. Yes, Australian models perhaps. But not like the past models.
They don’t all come with 21 inch rims, those rims are optional. Base they have 19s I think with pretty high profile tires.
Old 02-09-18, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They don’t all come with 21 inch rims, those rims are optional. Base they have 19s I think with pretty high profile tires.

For off-roading, in general, the higher-profile, the better. Gives more protection for the alloy wheels over rocks.
Old 02-09-18, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Your are not going to go very far with 19” tires either. The new Tacoma Pro has 16” tires. It’s all good Navigator, Escalade, LX and R.R. models are all going nowhere off pavement.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-09-18 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It’s all good Navigator, Escalade, LX and R.R. models all go nowhere off pavement.
Navigator and Escalade, OK...I agree they generally aren't designed for the boonies (and rarely get driven there). But the RR (and, to a lesser extent, the LX) is like the Trail-Rated badge for Jeeps...to simply BE a Land-Rover product, or a Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX, the vehicle HAS to, by company standards, be capable of a certain amount of off-road capability, whether owners choose to actually use that capability or not (many, of course, don't).

Now, of course, there is the added question if owners want to pay 90-100K (or more) for vehicles like this and then take them, with those nice paint jobs, plush interiors, and nice trim out in conditions which would scratch them up (SCRATCH-OUT is good stuff, but can only do so much LOL) and get them filthy. There is also the fact, of course, that many insurance policies won't cover off-road damage, even if the vehicle is capable of it. But those issues are probably off-topic here, and best left for another thread.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator reviews