Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Despite low sales, Buick LaCrosse Avenir is coming.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For the record, I'm all for keeping the portholes (or a similar effect). Just like with Cadillac and its fins/vertical-taillights, they've been a styling-success since the late 1940s for a reason:

Decades ago, one could always tell a top-line Buick (Roadmaster, Electra, Park Avenue, etc...), by having four portholes on the fender....lesser Buick models had three. That began to change, though with time.....some of the newer Regals have only two.

Old 11-07-17, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Put in GM's conventional shifter, toss out that quirky E-stick, and add a shut-off button for the stop/start electronics, and there is no reason this car would not capture a big chunk of the former DTS crowd, right here at home.
that would be a miracle. the former DTS crowd...

Old 11-07-17, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

You better start believing in miracles, then. A lot more of the DTS senior-citizen crowd is alive and (still) well than you think. Some of them will likely still be driving (and buying new cars) for another 15-20 years, especially with the advent of the self-driving vehicles by then that will not require much, if any, in the way of driving skill.

This is especially true in my county (Fairfax County, VA), outside of D.C., which, at least partly because of its superb health facilities and hospitals and extremely high standard of living, currently has the highest life-expectancy in the U.S. for males, and very close to that for females.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.b8c4e9bff509

Believe it or not, some of these Grandpas are even still driving Corvettes LOL. They grew up, as Baby-Boomers, in the 50s and 60s with the original 'Vettes, and never lost their attraction to the fiberglass-bodied wonder. My next-door neighbor, deep into his 60s, has one....along with two other vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-17 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 10:00 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;10024949]column
That has to be one of the ugliest dash and steering wheel set up I have ever seen on today's vehicles. Only a mother (the engineer who thought of making that hideous interior) will love that interior. Car is beyond dated already....

Last edited by 5gears-IS; 11-08-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-07-17, 10:13 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue with Buick is that it really no longer serves any purpose in the NA market. The gap between mainstream and luxury brands is the smallest it's ever been. People would rather get into a little CLA or A3 than a low-tier luxury brand like Buick.

Then there's Buick's [earned] reputation. Far too many decades, including the present, of tarted up GM products. There is nothing attractive about owning a Buick, especially to the under 40 crowd. As mediocre as the CLA is, for example, it still doesn't feel like a dressed up $15,000 car from inside the way the Verano did.

Plus given way they package and price their models, most people would rather opt for a lower-spec Audi or Lexus.

And while I'm not sure what Buick's residuals look like, I'm sure they stink like the rest of GM's divisions.
Old 11-08-17, 04:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Just talking to a colleague yesterday, who bought a CPO Acura. Now, I think we may all agree that CPO is really a marketing gimmick, because there were some issues with the vehicle. BUT, as he described it, it was all sorry about that Mr. xxxxxxx, we'll take care of it. Let us get you into a loaner, which was a 2017 version of his 2015. Meaning, whether they are sincere or what, they try to give the appearance that they will take care of everything. I don't think GM gets this part. Sure, Lexus totally gets it, but usually that's reflected in the price tag of the service (I remember maybe 10 years ago, there was a question why a Lexus oil change is the same as a BMW oil change, when Lexus uses dino juice, why isn't there a delta? And why does Lexus require new oil and service every 5k?) The funny thing about the Acura deal is he said it's been 2 wks and he's not calling them, because he has a 2017 loaner. BMW was the same way, having a loaner newer than your car kind of makes it so you let some incompetence slide...as I understand it, Buick has a 1 yr. longer warranty than Chevy, but they don't even wash customers' cars as a general rule nor do they provide loaners if a job doesn't take overnight etc. This isn't the same class as BMW/Audi/MB. Actually, does GM even have loaner cars, or are they actually demos and Enterprise? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 1994 Roadmaster with the LT1, but that's emotion, nothing more....
Old 11-08-17, 05:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't think GM gets this part. Sure, Lexus totally gets it, but usually that's reflected in the price tag of the service

as I understand it, Buick has a 1 yr. longer warranty than Chevy, but they don't even wash customers' cars as a general rule nor do they provide loaners if a job doesn't take overnight etc. This isn't the same class as BMW/Audi/MB. Actually, does GM even have loaner cars, or are they actually demos and Enterprise? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 1994 Roadmaster with the LT1, but that's emotion, nothing more....

GM dealers vary quite a bit in their level of service. Mine does essentially what Lexus dealerships do on the loaners and hand-washing...and one particular Service Advisor is so courteous and competent that he is one major reason I am a repeat customer of the place. His Yelp-reviews also show that my opinion is not alone.

Also, today, a lot of people are spoiled by the kind of service they typically get. I can remember, back in the 1970s and 80s, a general level of service quite different....especially in the competence level of the repairs.
Old 11-08-17, 05:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

A very peaceful setting to reminisce about the big old boat.
Old 11-08-17, 05:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A very peaceful setting to reminisce about the big old boat.
Only, like I said, it's going to be longer than you think before a lot of them actually get there.
Old 11-08-17, 05:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

GM dealers vary quite a bit in their level of service. Mine does essentially what Lexus dealerships do on the loaners and hand-washing...and one particular Service Advisor is so courteous and competent that he is one major reason I am a repeat customer of the place. His Yelp-reviews also show that my opinion is not alone.

Also, today, a lot of people are spoiled by the kind of service they typically get. I can remember, back in the 1970s and 80s, a general level of service quite different....especially in the competence level of the repairs.
Funny, I'm old enough to remember the repair orders being written by hand. From memory, my 1998 Nissan got serviced in Plattsburgh, NY, and the Nissan dealer wrote everything out--pretty sure I still have the receipt as I kept all records. I got into an altercation about warranty repair in Phila. lol the guy told me a peeling dash was not covered, so I took my keys and said I'm outta here. he called the cops saying I had no right to take my keys. Take the same car 3 days later to a dealer in the Main Line (car was about 18 mos. old), and they fix it no questions asked. I actually said I didn't buy my car from you, do I have to for warranty, because the dealer in Phila said I had to. They said of course not!
Old 11-08-17, 05:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think we're getting off-topic here with dealer-service.
Old 11-08-17, 05:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My dad said the two times he had loaners at Buick GMC....one time was an Enterprise, the other time was a car with a dealer tag. This is not how BMW does it, they have a fleet and there is a contract between the customer and BMWNA. I've never gotten a Lexus loaner because I've only gotten service once there, but I saw a long line of loaner RX350s all lined up, with the lounge being so full there was nowhere to sit. They ought to have used those RX350s and cleared the place out, but of course I can't tell them how to run their business. They told me if I did the water pump for $1600 they could give me one of those cr**** RX's lol

edit p.s. your GM dealer and Lexus hand washes cars? The Lexus dealer sent mine through the car wash. My BMW dealer does as well. They used to hand wash M's. Interestingly, my BMW indie hand washes. I saw them doing this when I picked up my car--my invoice was all of $93 lol so I felt they took pride in their work

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-08-17 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My dad said the two times he had loaners at Buick GMC....one time was an Enterprise, the other time was a car with a dealer tag. This is not how BMW does it, they have a fleet and there is a contract between the customer and BMWNA. I've never gotten a Lexus loaner because I've only gotten service once there, but I saw a long line of loaner RX350s all lined up, with the lounge being so full there was nowhere to sit. They ought to have used those RX350s and cleared the place out, but of course I can't tell them how to run their business. They told me if I did the water pump for $1600 they could give me one of those cr**** RX's lol

edit p.s. your GM dealer and Lexus hand washes cars? The Lexus dealer sent mine through the car wash. My BMW dealer does as well. They used to hand wash M's. Interestingly, my BMW indie hand washes. I saw them doing this when I picked up my car--my invoice was all of $93 lol so I felt they took pride in their work

Yep...both did it by hand. Most of the time, though, I turned down the offer. Health permitting, I can usually do a better job myself, with less risk of scratching the paint or glass.

$1600 for a water pump? No wonder BMW has such an expensive reputation for service.

And, like I said, I think we're getting off-topic.
Old 11-08-17, 06:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Yep...both did it by hand. Most of the time, though, I turned down the offer. Health permitting, I can usually do a better job myself, with less risk of scratching the paint or glass.

$1600 for a water pump? No wonder BMW has such an expensive reputation for service.

And, like I said, I think we're getting off-topic.
The $1600 was at Lexus for the LS430. BMW does get about $1100 I believe but I haven't done it yet--they offered to do it for free when they broke something on my car but I decided I don't want them working on my car anymore (the dealer in NJ, not my dealer in PA).

Yeah back on topic, I guess Buick is focusing on China, I am of the camp their products just won't sell the way the catchy ads depicted (like where the girl gets in the wrong car and some strange man is inside). Avenir is latin for outdated, right? (just joshin')
Old 11-08-17, 06:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The issue with Buick is that it really no longer serves any purpose in the NA market. The gap between mainstream and luxury brands is the smallest it's ever been. People would rather get into a little CLA or A3 than a low-tier luxury brand like Buick.

Then there's Buick's [earned] reputation. Far too many decades, including the present, of tarted up GM products. There is nothing attractive about owning a Buick, especially to the under 40 crowd. As mediocre as the CLA is, for example, it still doesn't feel like a dressed up $15,000 car from inside the way the Verano did.

Plus given way they package and price their models, most people would rather opt for a lower-spec Audi or Lexus.

And while I'm not sure what Buick's residuals look like, I'm sure they stink like the rest of GM's divisions.
Buick sells about 200K units in the US? I think Cadillac sells 175K? There is the problem, combine them both and you have Lexus like numbers.

Quick Reply: Despite low sales, Buick LaCrosse Avenir is coming.