Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Koenigsegg closes highway near Vegas for top-speed record attempt

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 10:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Koenigsegg closes highway near Vegas for top-speed record attempt

A Koenigsegg Agera RS driven by factory driver Niklas Lilja hit a VBOX-verified average top speed of 277.9 miles per hour. In one direction, the Agera RS hit 284.3 mph; in the other the max velocity was 272 mph. The official top speed of 277.9 is the average between the two runs.

Source
Old 11-08-17, 10:47 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

i was thinking about posting this the day it happened, but nobody here ever seems to care all that much about cars of this nature lol. it's almost as though a lexus forum is full of practical sensible people who concern themselves with more realistic obtainable cars...

i for one love the idea of humans doing what distinguishes us from every other species, pushing the technological limits! as pointless and unuseful as it may be, building a "production" car which must conform to federal regulations, have working A/C and indicators, wipers, etc... work reliably around town or wherever else it may need to go for multiple years, looks spectacular inside and out, AND can safely and consistently reach 280+ mph, is a remarkable achievement for mankind which i think should be celebrated. you have my utmost respect Mr. Von Koenigsegg!

they also reset the 0-400kph-0 record now that they were on a better road surface:
Old 11-08-17, 11:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Mr Koenigsegg, hats off to you and your team!!! You have to love the under-dog story of Koenigsegg as well, this is a man who doesn't have a degree in engineering, started his own car company at age 22, and has continually smashed production car records(keep in mind he held the top speed record in 2005 as well, before the Veyron hit the streets). I mean this is a tiny company that produces their own engines(big deal in the world of low production independent car makers) and has utterly decimated the performance benchmark set by Bugatti, who is backed by the world's 2nd largest automaker.
Old 11-09-17, 03:28 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

And that was with his old car

Looking forward to what the Regera can do in the future
Old 11-09-17, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why not just go to the Bonneville (UT) Salt Flats, which aren't that far away? That's what the flats are generally used for.....all of the jet-powered cars that attempt the world land-speed record use them.

Old 11-09-17, 07:32 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
And that was with his old car

Looking forward to what the Regera can do in the future
wont be as fast because of the way it's geared. I think it hits the rev limiter at 'only' 249 mph lol... gotta love the world we live in
Old 11-09-17, 07:40 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why not just go to the Bonneville (UT) Salt Flats, which aren't that far away? That's what the flats are generally used for.....all of the jet-powered cars that attempt the world land-speed record use them.
well the car they were using is literally a car that a customer leant them to use, and if I were him I wouldn't want my car getting all dirty and salty. traction also isn't an issue for jet cars, whereas traction is STILL an issue for the Agera even on hot, dry asphalt lol... they would never have been able to beat the 0-250-0 record on a sloshy salt surface. I don't think it would've mattered since the car hit top speed with plenty of road left, I don't see how they would've gained anything from going to the salt flats.
Old 11-09-17, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i was thinking about posting this the day it happened, but nobody here ever seems to care all that much about cars of this nature lol. it's almost as though a lexus forum is full of practical sensible people who concern themselves with more realistic obtainable cars...

i for one love the idea of humans doing what distinguishes us from every other species, pushing the technological limits! as pointless and unuseful as it may be, building a "production" car which must conform to federal regulations, have working A/C and indicators, wipers, etc... work reliably around town or wherever else it may need to go for multiple years, looks spectacular inside and out, AND can safely and consistently reach 280+ mph, is a remarkable achievement for mankind which i think should be celebrated. you have my utmost respect Mr. Von Koenigsegg!
Haha I got you!

Great post

Well this isn't a jet-powered car like your example now is it
Old 11-09-17, 10:44 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Did I read correctly that they were proud to be setting this record using regular tires, as though this was a good thing? And that Michelin had said they certified the tires only up to 180mph, a full 100mph below their record runs? And this is something to be crowing about?

Tell you what, do a couple more runs, this time without the use of a seat belt or helmet, just to show how confident you are that nothing would go wrong.

But, hey, pretty impressive, especially how strongly the car accelerated once the driver floored it at about 200mph.
Old 11-09-17, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Well this isn't a jet-powered car like your example now is it
True, but my point is that the Bonneville flats was in use for speed-trials long before the jet-powered cars debuted in the 1960s. A piston-engined vehicle, driven by John Cobb, achieved a world record there of 394 MPH in 1947....still a record today for piston-engined vehicles. And, doing the run at Bonneville would not need to close off a public highway.
Old 11-09-17, 12:20 PM
Hoovey689

True, but my point is that the Bonneville flats was in use for speed-trials long before the jet-powered cars debuted in the 1960s. A piston-engined vehicle, driven by John Cobb, achieved a world record there of 394 MPH in 1947....still a record today for piston-engined vehicles. And, doing the run at Bonneville would not need to close off a public highway.
Like Stroock639 said, its a customers car. Keep it on the asphalt.

Cobb died 5 years later when his boat broke up going 200mph, attempting a water speed record
Old 11-09-17, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Cobb died 5 years later when his boat broke up going 200mph, attempting a water speed record
Yeah, high-speed boats, particularly in rough or choppy water, are a disaster waiting to happen at almost any second. You couldn't pay me to drive one.
Old 11-09-17, 07:21 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Strook

Nothing keeping them from future versions of the Regera that can be faster than this Agera iteration
Old 11-09-17, 07:55 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Where this highway is, the traffic is so light that if they closed it for an hour, they likely delayed only 1 car.
Old 11-09-17, 09:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Strook

Nothing keeping them from future versions of the Regera that can be faster than this Agera iteration
fair point, but i'm pretty sure the current model of regera has a lower top speed than the agera. hell, slap another gear on the agera and find a set of tires that wont give out and i'm pretty sure you might have yourself a 300 mph road car right there...

Quick Reply: Koenigsegg closes highway near Vegas for top-speed record attempt