Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traded our Kia Sedona in on a Chrysler Pacifica today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, the Sienna drives nice and offers AWD, but otherwise is not particularly impressive. My former Flight Instructor (a longtime Toyota fan) has had two of them...one his private vehicle, and the other for the company he works for. Quality problems and poor warranty coverage from Toyota on both of them....he's irked enough now that he might change brands next time.
Old 01-08-18, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Compared to the Odyssey and Pacifica it doesn't even drive very nice.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agree about the Sienna. How was your mileage on the longer trips? My Ody only got ~24 on a quick visit to Hershey which got pushed down to ~21 by a lot of parking lot idling.
I get about the same...
Old 01-08-18, 06:18 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

They're just so ancient, and so crappy inside. Lack much of the innovations newer vans like the Pacifica or certainly the new Odyssey have. The Sienna should have been an all new van this year instead of a second refresh of the same model thats been out since like 2010. IMHO the Sienna isn't at all competitive, only reason to buy one is if you need AWD or if you must have a Toyota.
The TNGA wasn't ready yet. And when it was, the priorities were the Prius, CHR and Camry. 2 out of those 3 are pretty mediocre. Hopefully, it will be a much much better van in another yr or 2 on the new platform. Though its a shame it will be saddled with the FE biased transmission sapping much of the responsiveness from the 300hp V6.
Old 01-15-18, 11:15 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Another Cry Slur recall

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...r-stalling-fix

When will it end?

How can anyone feel safe with their family in one?
Old 01-15-18, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats actually good news, theres a fix. The issue was out a while back before there was a fix.

And yes, my family rides in one every day and we feel perfectly safe.

I've had people ask me how I could possibly let my family ride in a Toyota during the whole unintended acceleration fiasco. ****** happens.
Old 01-15-18, 04:56 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats actually good news, theres a fix. The issue was out a while back before there was a fix.

And yes, my family rides in one every day and we feel perfectly safe.

I've had people ask me how I could possibly let my family ride in a Toyota during the whole unintended acceleration fiasco. ****** happens.
That was stupid driver's error or rather carelessness by having the floor mat slide and jam the brakes.
Now, part of the service whenever I bring in my lexus and toyota to the dealer is the tech would make sure there's no extra floor mats freely sliding around or the oem floor mat not clipping on to the retainer.

Now for the takata air bag issue, yeah, I didn't feel safe when I had a front seat passenger in my sienna. A temporary solution was to have no one sitting there until it was replaced.
Glad mine was finally fixed.
Old 01-15-18, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Now for the takata air bag issue, yeah, I didn't feel safe when I had a front seat passenger in my sienna. A temporary solution was to have no one sitting there until it was replaced.
So much attention is put on air bags, though, that people often forget that the combination lap/shoulder belt is considered the primary restraint system, not the belt itself.
Old 01-15-18, 05:05 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So much attention is put on air bags, though, that people often forget that the combination lap/shoulder belt is considered the primary restraint system, not the belt itself.
True, but in this case, if the airbag was to deploy, it would send out pieces of shrapnel, so that's pretty dangerous.
Old 01-15-18, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

True, but in this case, if the airbag was to deploy, it would send out pieces of shrapnel, so that's pretty dangerous.
Yes, that's a good point.

Did they deactivate the airbag system in your car while waiting for the required new parts? I've been lucky enough to not own any cars (yet) with the affected Takada systems.
Old 01-15-18, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That was stupid driver's error or rather carelessness by having the floor mat slide and jam the brakes.
Now, part of the service whenever I bring in my lexus and toyota to the dealer is the tech would make sure there's no extra floor mats freely sliding around or the oem floor mat not clipping on to the retainer.

I don't disagree that it was driver error, but the point stands that people thought I was crazy for continuing to drive Toyotas.

Recalls happen.
Old 01-18-18, 04:07 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that's a good point.

Did they deactivate the airbag system in your car while waiting for the required new parts? I've been lucky enough to not own any cars (yet) with the affected Takada systems.
Sorry for the delay.

No, they didn't de-activate the airbag. They said not have a front passenger.
Old 01-31-18, 06:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Was behind a Pacifica on the hwy today. This is not a Van. It is a very cleverly disguised cross over.
Old 01-31-18, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Was behind a Pacifica on the hwy today. This is not a Van. It is a very cleverly disguised cross over.
They all are pretty much nowadays lol.

We still really like our Pacifica.
Old 01-31-18, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I think you're talking about the old Pacifica, not the new one. The new one is DEFINITELY a minivan.

(the old one was designed like the Mazda5 and Mercedes R-Class, with four conventional non-sliding doors and three rows of 2+2+2 seating)

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-18 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-18, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

She's talking about the new one, she's saying that it looks more like a crossover than a van.

Quick Reply: Traded our Kia Sedona in on a Chrysler Pacifica today...