Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 12:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The Accord was just as quick in the quarter mile too. The Accord only has 252hp, Camry has about 50hp on it from a similar weight, same layout. Either the Accord turbo is very impressive and under rated or the Camry 6 cylinder is rather unimpressive and poorly geared for performance. I was happy the Camry kept the 6 cylinder, thought it would at least be quicker then the 4cyl Accord down 50hp.
My educated guess is that the Accord's turbocharged 4-cylinder engine has a very flat (table flat?) torque curve, whereas the Camry's V6 is very peaky. In the Camry, at each gear change, the rpm drops and with it, the torque, but in the Accord, torque is maintained at each gear change. The Accord loses no momentum at gear changes but the Camry does.
Old 11-22-17, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
In the Camry, at each gear change, the rpm drops and with it, the torque,
Wouldn't that depend on which gear you are in, and at what RPM where the peak-torque was found? Some engines have peak torque at fairly low RPMs...on others, it's may be near 5000. As you noted, the flatness of the torque curve itself also makes a difference.
Old 11-22-17, 08:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Torque which is what gets you off the line: Accord 273 lb-ft at 1,500 rpm (immediately available), Camry V6 267 lb-ft at 4,700 rpm
Transmissions and Gearing: Accord 2.0T 10 Speed Auto, Camry V6 8 speed auto
Weight: Accord 2.0T Touring 3,428 pounds Camry XSE V6 3,480 pounds
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wouldn't that depend on which gear you are in, and at what RPM where the peak-torque was found? Some engines have peak torque at fairly low RPMs...on others, it's may be near 5000. As you noted, the flatness of the torque curve itself also makes a difference.
As quoted above, the Accord's 2.0-litre turbocharged 4-cylinder engine has torque available from 1500rpm, and I am assuming that, being a turbocharged engine, the torque curve is table-flat from low rpm to high rpm. With a torque curve like that, there really is no need for a multi-speed transmission.
Old 11-23-17, 03:53 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just another slow Toyota/Lexus car that over promises and under delivers.

It’s funny seeing the Camry commercials with fire breathing out of the cylinders and people getting pushed back into their seats like it’s supposed to be some fast, sporty car.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: all of the new dynamic force engines will be grandpa slow, built for fuel efficiency and nothing else. The ironic thing is that a lot of the competitors can achieve parity in fuel efficiency yet still move like it has a pulse, unlike these cars...
Old 11-23-17, 04:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
This is the exact vehicle my wife and I cross shopped before we bought the GS. At the end of the day, you don't get enough and you still paid 40k for a camry.

Biggest things lacking for us in all the packages our dealer was willing to provide us:

- memory seats
- power passenger seat
- overall comfort
- overall fit and finish

When we told them that this is what we found lacking, they immediately shifted our focus to an Avalon where we would get all of these things at the same price point as the fully optioned V6 camry. I had to say no because I'm only 31 and can't drive an avalon at this age, considering my dad is 64 and has not one, but TWO avalons.

So we went to lexus and for 7k less than the camry and avalon I got a used F-Sport that has everything I want and more.

In the end, the camry is just not on the same level with the GS especially considering with all the incentives now you can probably get a new GS for less than 12k more than that particular camry.
Well obviously the Camry is not on the same level as a GS. I would still rather have a new Camry over a used GS.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-23-17 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-23-17, 05:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

This is the best looking Camry to date imo. I have a 17 Camry XLE (Company Car) I missed getting a 18 by a few months but it's a free car either way so no complaints. I like how aggressive it looks, the 3.5 V6 is no slouch yes it's FWD but it's a solid motor. Other than work car all my cars are old lol, 2000 GS4 and 95 Supra. I recently rented a 17/18 Corolla SE and was surprised by the amount of Tech it had radar cruise, lane departure, auto high beams etc...I'm a fan of the Accord too even though I like the 17 more than the 18 not a fan of the new Hatch style Accord but solid car.
Old 11-23-17, 09:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well obviously the Camry is not on the same level as a GS. I would still rather have a new Camry over a used GS.
Even a used GS F Sport or with a luxury package?
Old 11-23-17, 10:21 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

That would depend on how "used" the GS is. A 2 yr old lease return with 25K miles would make the GS my choice. If the GS had over 50K miles, the Camry would win.
Steve
Old 11-23-17, 05:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Even a used GS F Sport or with a luxury package?
Not a fan of used. Just figure a new platform with a new tech out weighs the GS.
Old 11-23-17, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm with Jill. In most cases (not necessarily all), there is simply nothing like a brand-new car.
Old 11-23-17, 08:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Not a fan of used. Just figure a new platform with a new tech out weighs the GS.
I would rather get a well balanced RWD GS that's used vs the wrong wheel drive Camcord. Those cars make me hate driving.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-23-17 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-23-17, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,060 Likes on 2,457 Posts

I'm with Jill. In most cases (not necessarily all), there is simply nothing like a brand-new car.
I have a 2016 GS F in the garage. I rented a new (2018) Camry twice in the last 2 months. Camry is just Camry and no amount of "new tech" displaces a proper RWD platform that doesn't fight your hands for control when you step on the gas. I would take the used GS over the Camry based on direct experience any day.

And all these pointless discussions about torque this and torque that - nobody cares about engine torque. The only torque that matters happens at the wheel. That's why we have gearing. I couldn't care less about engine torque as long as I can get to peak power as quickly as possible. No, torque does not get you to peak power, gearing does. Average power and the ability to stay near the peak means everything. See attachment, and prepare to have all your torque myths destroyed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HORSEPOWER+VS+TORQUE.pdf (1.01 MB, 54 views)

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-23-17 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-24-17, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have a 2016 GS F in the garage. I rented a new (2018) Camry twice in the last 2 months. Camry is just Camry and no amount of "new tech" displaces a proper RWD platform that doesn't fight your hands for control when you step on the gas. I would take the used GS over the Camry based on direct experience any day.

Well, I certainly respect your view....and, from a purely high-performance factor, no, of course, a brand-new Camry is not going to compete with a GS-F....you're talking about a car that, in full-F version (not just the F-Sport) costs well over twice what the average Camry does brand-new. But, again, it gets back to one's priorities...and preferences. People like me and Jill, while, in general, not opposed to high-performance vehicles by any means, see little need to own one for daily driving. That's just not our forte....and, in my area, the sheer amount of stop-and-go driving alone generally precludes real high-performance driving. For us, and for many others like us, a brand-new Camry, with a full-warranty, no wear and tear on it, that nice new-car smell, maximum reliability, and the (likely) lower insurance-rate of a Camry vs. a GS-F would probably make far more day-to-day sense.

And all these pointless discussions about torque this and torque that - nobody cares about engine torque. The only torque that matters happens at the wheel. That's why we have gearing. I couldn't care less about engine torque as long as I can get to peak power as quickly as possible. No, torque does not get you to peak power, gearing does. Average power and the ability to stay near the peak means everything. See attachment, and prepare to have all your torque myths destroyed.
You may be overlooking the factor of the actual torque curve itself, though. Yes, short gearing, especially on transmissions with many gears, certainly does increase the amount of torque actually available at the wheels. But if the torque curve is peaky, and little is available at low RPMs (typical of many non-turbo fours), the transmission (and final-drive-dearing in the differential) is still going to have only a limited effect, no matter how many times you downshift. Theoretically, the only transmissions that can continually adjust for that are the CVTs, with an infinite number of gear ratios....but, of course, as you know, they have other limitations, such as drive-belt durability and the amount of actual torque that can safely handle. That's why you don't usually see them on true high-performance vehicles.
Old 11-24-17, 09:00 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 403 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes agreed, but OP posted this in the GS forum so my post was written in that context as a GS owner.

Originally Posted by oldcajun
That would depend on how "used" the GS is. A 2 yr old lease return with 25K miles would make the GS my choice. If the GS had over 50K miles, the Camry would win.
Steve
That's exactly what I did. Bought a 3 year old 1 owner lease return with 26k miles. Loving it way more than I think I would a 2018 Camry given the price point.
Old 11-24-17, 12:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It depends on the used and new car. Many people would rather have a good used luxury car any day over a brand new econo box or mid size mainstream sedan.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6