Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Infiniti QX50

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 02:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
i like the hood design. It's just one big piece without a bunch of gaps.
There's no hood gap 2 inches behind the grille, no gap on the sides either, as the hood blends with the side character crease.
Agree, really good execution. Audi also does similar on their newest vehicles.
Old 11-26-17, 08:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It's sad we have to talk about hood integration. But we do. For decades, we never had to worry about this. But for whatever odd reason, many brands today cannot integrate a hood if their life depended on it. I don't see how or why we got to this stage. I want to think safety/ped regulations, but everyone has to follow that. The current Lexus ES is a good example of a poor frontal design.
Old 11-27-17, 08:45 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's sad we have to talk about hood integration. But we do. For decades, we never had to worry about this. But for whatever odd reason, many brands today cannot integrate a hood if their life depended on it. I don't see how or why we got to this stage. I want to think safety/ped regulations, but everyone has to follow that. The current Lexus ES is a good example of a poor frontal design.
i think bmw started it, and everyone copied it because it was cool or something. And then the Merc CLS had it.

2010 is when they started with the hood gap behind the grille.

Old 11-27-17, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
I need to see the interior before i really comment, but IMO, this is thus far a huge improvement over the EX in terms of looks and attractiveness.
I thought the EX35 had a very well-done interior, with rich wood and excellent, high-quality materials. Where it fell short was in the droop-down rear end, which cut out a LOT of rear-headroom and cargo space.

Old 11-28-17, 04:04 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This looks really good, I'm interested in seeing more of this new CUV.
Old 11-28-17, 11:28 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone know yet which Nissan platform is this vehicle based off of yet? Rouge or Pathfinder?
Old 11-28-17, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Does anyone know yet which Nissan platform is this vehicle based off of yet? Rouge or Pathfinder?

Neither, per se. It will be an all-new FWD platform. This article describes it.

http://americajr.com/news/2017/11/28...-new-platform/

All-new platform with predictive, predictable ride and handling

The 2019 QX50 is built on an all-new platform, featuring a front-engine, front-wheel-drive-based layout. Engineered with flexibility of application in mind, the new platform sets new standards for refinement, rigidity and interior space in the compact luxury crossover segment.

“The crossover market is the number one premium segment globally. The new QX50 is INFINITI’s core model and offers premium buyers everything they could want from a vehicle of this type, thanks in part to the development of an all-new platform that is an ideal combination of roominess and packaging efficiency,” said François Bancon, Vice President, Product and Programs.

The platform’s layout allows for higher levels of packaging efficiency than before, resulting in the new QX50’s ideal interior proportions for passengers and cargo.

The 2019 QX50 represents the first automotive use of SHF (Super High Formability) 980 MPa high-tensile steel, further strengthening the all-new platform. The high-tensile material can be molded into unprecedented shapes, saving weight and representing a torsional rigidity improvement of 23% over the current QX50.
Old 11-28-17, 09:00 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazing, why not use an existing FWD platform? This sounds like the Nissan from the late 90s when they had too many bespoke platforms that weren't appreciatively different from each other.
Old 11-29-17, 07:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People think this is still some modified version of Nissan Renault C platform but who knows. I think this so much better in execution than NX and I would love to see the head to head numbers once it goes on sale.
Old 11-29-17, 08:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Amazing, why not use an existing FWD platform? This sounds like the Nissan from the late 90s when they had too many bespoke platforms that weren't appreciatively different from each other.
because obviously (per mmarshall's article quote) none of the existing platforms did what infiniti needed/wanted. excerpts show this is a HUGE improvement.

Engineered with flexibility of application in mind, the new platform sets new standards for refinement, rigidity and interior space in the compact luxury crossover segment.
The platform’s layout allows for higher levels of packaging efficiency than before, resulting in the new QX50’s ideal interior proportions for passengers and cargo.
The 2019 QX50 represents the first automotive use of SHF (Super High Formability) 980 MPa high-tensile steel, further strengthening the all-new platform. The high-tensile material can be molded into unprecedented shapes, saving weight and representing a torsional rigidity improvement of 23% over the current QX50.
Old 11-29-17, 01:25 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

More photos

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...nfo-gallery#30
Old 12-02-17, 06:11 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Saw this at the LA auto show. Impressive car, but it should NOT be competing with RX, as it is not that large. It’s sort of comparable to the RDX but larger than the NX. It should sell great, but Nissan/Infiniti has a history of issues with new technologies (CVT on JX/Pathfinder), so inwould recommend passing the firat couple of years until they sort out issues with the new engine.
Old 12-02-17, 09:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Saw this at the LA auto show. Impressive car, but it should NOT be competing with RX, as it is not that large. It’s sort of comparable to the RDX but larger than the NX. It should sell great, but Nissan/Infiniti has a history of issues with new technologies (CVT on JX/Pathfinder), so inwould recommend passing the firat couple of years until they sort out issues with the new engine.
That's sound advice. Nissan/Infiniti doesn't exactly have a stellar reliability record as of late. But I look at this vehicle as pretty basic and not that complicated, save for the new engine technology. Hopefully they got that hammered out and also smoothed out the roughness from some of their other motors. Overall, this thing has a very sharp, edgy, and brawny look to it. But the dash is a bit weak, with two poorly integrated center stack sections that clash..
Old 12-03-17, 01:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But the dash is a bit weak, with two poorly integrated center stack sections that clash..
Infiniti is doing what Honda did in its previous-generation Accord, which it was criticized for, and that is to use a 2-screen centre stack, 1 higher up for display only and the other lower as a touchscreen.

2015 Honda Accord:

2018 Infiniti QX50:
Old 12-03-17, 01:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Infiniti is doing what Honda did in its previous-generation Accord, which it was criticized for, and that is to use a 2-screen centre stack, 1 higher up for display only and the other lower as a touchscreen.

2015 Honda Accord:

2018 Infiniti QX50:
Infiniti's Q50 debuted their dual screen in 2014. No influence from Honda.

Quick Reply: 2019 Infiniti QX50