Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Infiniti QX50

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 03:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

It looks really good but the fact its FWD is sad - Jaguar Fpace, RangeRover Velar, BMW X3, MB GLC are still all RWD based at least. New Genesis suv is RWD based as well.

The other negative is the 2 screen interior with small screens for all new model.
Old 12-03-17, 03:37 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It looks really good but the fact its FWD is sad - Jaguar Fpace, RangeRover Velar, BMW X3, MB GLC are still all RWD based at least. New Genesis suv is RWD based as well.
Exactly. Especially disappointing for a brand like Infiniti that was more biased to performance. They have rwd based cars with performance and now multiple suv's that are fwd based with cvt's. It's a lack of consistency with the brand.
Old 12-03-17, 04:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Infiniti's Q50 debuted their dual screen in 2014. No influence from Honda.
I was not aware of that (or had forgotten). I am not a big fan of Nissan or Infiniti vehicles so do not follow them closely.

Regardless, I know that there is actually very little outright copying when it comes to such features.
Old 12-03-17, 05:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I was not aware of that (or had forgotten). I am not a big fan of Nissan or Infiniti vehicles so do not follow them closely.

Regardless, I know that there is actually very little outright copying when it comes to such features.
No worries, your knowledge of automotive info is so expansive (see RXL thread, your third row seat posts), I can see why it'd be easy to forget things like that. Especially when a car like the Q50 only has a small time in the spotlight (its debut) before its nearly forgotten and hardly anyone talks about it anymore.
Old 12-03-17, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No worries, your knowledge of automotive info is so expansive (see RXL thread, your third row seat posts), I can see why it'd be easy to forget things like that. Especially when a car like the Q50 only has a small time in the spotlight (its debut) before its nearly forgotten and hardly anyone talks about it anymore.

For several reasons, I'd be very leery of the Q50's Direct-Adaptive-Steering option, with the all-electronic hookup to the rack, that that by-passes the traditional steering-shaft. Fortunately, there's a mechanical back-up for emergencies.
Old 12-03-17, 09:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For several reasons, I'd be very leery of the Q50's Direct-Adaptive-Steering option, with the all-electronic hookup to the rack, that that by-passes the traditional steering-shaft. Fortunately, there's a mechanical back-up for emergencies.
True DAS was a major sore spot. I believe it’s been revised since, but nothing will beat a hydraulic setup.
Old 12-04-17, 12:26 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I don’t think the QX50 (unlike the Q50) will have DAS. If it does, it wouldnt really matter as this isn’t a sport SUV like the QX70. It’s too bad too that Infiniti has been having great designs recently (Q60, QX80 refesh, Qx50, etc), but doesnt have a performance SUV like before. Here’s hoping they revive a QX70 with the 400hp vt TT setup!

True DAS was a major sore spot. I believe it’s been revised since, but nothing will beat a hydraulic setup.
Old 12-04-17, 05:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

The other negative is the 2 screen interior with small screens for all new model.
And yet Porsche, Bentley and upcoming Lambo SUVs are all FWD based
I would assume AWD setup together with suitable SUV platform are a lot more important than the initial driving wheels but who knows, I'm just guessing here. Anyhow this new QX50 is NX competitor even though it looks like a full feature SUV on pictures, that's because they nailed the exterior design. You completely loose sense of scale while looking at the images cause somehow they managed to translate the proportions and bulkiness of SUV down to CUV. Audi did something similar with Q5 as well.
Old 12-04-17, 09:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
And yet Porsche, Bentley and upcoming Lambo SUVs are all FWD based
Not really. When we talk about FWD-based, we generally mean transverse mounted engine with a transaxle, and there's almost always at least one model on the platform available in FWD.

Contrast this with the PL7x platform under the VW Touraeg, Audi Q7, Bentley Bentayga and Porsche Cayenne. It has a longitudinally-mounted engine with a traditional rear-mounted transmission. All models on the platform are exclusively AWD, and most are heavily rear-biased. The Touraeg is the closest to neutral or FWD bias, yet still sends 40-80% of its torque to the rear wheels.
Old 02-07-18, 02:43 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I guess FWD CVT is what sells....

Too bad they're being controlled by sales numbers and the lack of sales. They're unable to make exciting products like the germans do.

If the qx50 competes with the RX, what does the qx60 fwd compete with ?

I wonder if they'll go back to making FWD sedans too
I know they're not as bad as they used to be, I've hated the transmission in every recent Nissan product I've driven. Just seeing CVT in the specs would be enough to make me skip the test drive.
Old 02-07-18, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
I know they're not as bad as they used to be, I've hated the transmission in every recent Nissan product I've driven. Just seeing CVT in the specs would be enough to make me skip the test drive.
I don’t have an issue with a CVT in regards to smooth and refinement. From what I have heard on Autoblog podcast and Autoweek, a CVT will outperform an automatic in performance measures if all other things are equal.
Old 02-07-18, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I don’t have an issue with a CVT in regards to smooth and refinement. From what I have heard on Autoblog podcast and Autoweek, a CVT will outperform an automatic in performance measures if all other things are equal.

CVTs are indeed efficient (just think of a transmission with an unlimited number of gears, which will usually keep the engine in its most efficient operating range for both acceleration and mileage). But, they tend to have some quirky driving characteristics I don't care for, such as rubber-banding, motorboating, and a generally disconnected sensation. I'm also not totally convinced of the long-term durability of the drive-belts, though newer ones are undoubtedly much better than they were several years ago.

Some CVTs are set up to mimic a conventional stepped-gear automatic by having a number of fixed-positions of the drive-belt on the cones, which simulate gear-ratios. On more sport-oriented set-ups, these positions, of course, can also be selected manually.
Old 02-07-18, 07:44 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
CVTs are indeed efficient (just think of a transmission with an unlimited number of gears, which will usually keep the engine in its most efficient operating range for both acceleration and mileage). But, they tend to have some quirky driving characteristics I don't care for, such as rubber-banding, motorboating, and a generally disconnected sensation. I'm also not totally convinced of the long-term durability of the drive-belts, though newer ones are undoubtedly much better than they were several years ago.

Some CVTs are set up to mimic a conventional stepped-gear automatic by having a number of fixed-positions of the drive-belt on the cones, which simulate gear-ratios. On more sport-oriented set-ups, these positions, of course, can also be selected manually.
The drive belts are no longer fabric or rubber belts but are metal push belts. These metal chains are much more durable and reliable than the older rubber belts.
Old 02-07-18, 09:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The other big problem I see with CVT's is their durability and ability to handle heavy loads/abuse. They suck at towing, all the Nissan SUV products with the CVT have a low tow rating. Also load something up like the Pathfinder with 6 people, luggage on the roof, luggage in the back, luggage on the rear shelf thing that you mount into the trailer hitch, that's another 1000-1500lbs of payload. Anyways Nissan has had lots of problems with their CVT in their larger utility vehicles, I'm convinced its because these cars are larger, heavier, and are loaded down a lot more than the type of use your typical Altima/Sentra customer uses their car for.
Old 02-08-18, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The drive belts are no longer fabric or rubber belts but are metal push belts. These metal chains are much more durable and reliable than the older rubber belts.

No question. That's why I remarked that they were a lot better than they used to be. Still not necessarily the same durability, though, as, say, an A727 or A904 TorqueFlite.

Quick Reply: 2019 Infiniti QX50