Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Infiniti QX50

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 08:47 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The other big problem I see with CVT's is their durability and ability to handle heavy loads/abuse. They suck at towing, all the Nissan SUV products with the CVT have a low tow rating. Also load something up like the Pathfinder with 6 people, luggage on the roof, luggage in the back, luggage on the rear shelf thing that you mount into the trailer hitch, that's another 1000-1500lbs of payload. Anyways Nissan has had lots of problems with their CVT in their larger utility vehicles, I'm convinced its because these cars are larger, heavier, and are loaded down a lot more than the type of use your typical Altima/Sentra customer uses their car for.
I do not believe that it is a problem with the continuously-variable transmission but the fact that Nissan pairs the belt-and-pulley CVT with an engine that has almost too torque for the transmission to handle.

Without gear teeth to provide some bite, the CVT relies solely on the friction between the belt and the pullies, so with too much torque (from the engine or opposing it from the fully-loaded vehicle), the transmission will slip.
Old 02-08-18, 05:20 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I don’t have an issue with a CVT in regards to smooth and refinement. From what I have heard on Autoblog podcast and Autoweek, a CVT will outperform an automatic in performance measures if all other things are equal.
I've read that too... But I never liked the driving experience. Feels like it was always over-revving and hunting for gears.
Old 09-03-18, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

finally saw one up close recently. what a great looking compact ute!

first thought that came to mind... why would anyone buy a lexus nx over this?

turns out, infiniti's done a DIRECT interactive video comparison on their website

https://www.infinitiusa.com/crossove...0-vs-lexus-nx/

still, i haven't looked it up but expect the nx outsells the q50 many times over...
Old 09-03-18, 12:41 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
finally saw one up close recently. what a great looking compact ute!

first thought that came to mind... why would anyone buy a lexus nx over this?

turns out, infiniti's done a DIRECT interactive video comparison on their website

https://www.infinitiusa.com/crossove...0-vs-lexus-nx/

still, i haven't looked it up but expect the nx outsells the q50 many times over...
Thanks for sharing that video. They really did a nice job on it, even though clearly biased The QX looks like a winner. I need to go test drive one.
Old 09-03-18, 01:28 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The interior of the top line QX50 is terrific. Very nice materials including a suede-like (alcantara?) insert on the doors and dash in a contrasting color. Interior room seems more the size of the RX rather than the NX particularly in the rear seat and cargo area. Even with the CVT it is much faster than the NX300 in initial acceleration. My big concern is not with the durability of the CVT but with the variable compression ratio engine. Lots of added complexity with little experience in the hands of customers yet.
Old 09-03-18, 08:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My big concern is not with the durability of the CVT but with the variable compression ratio engine. Lots of added complexity with little experience in the hands of customers yet.
i wouldn't be unless you plan to keep it a decade or more. These days engines are put through BRUTAL durability testing.

Old 09-03-18, 08:35 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
No more rear wheel drive?
No more V6 power plant?

Might as well buy a FWD Nissan variant.
Like Murano? I've been driving rear wheel biased AWD always. Not a fan of CVT either. But will be interesting how the Turvo-VC engine performs in real world. IMO, name of the game is cutting production cost.
In corporate world marketing always dictates. Engineers have hardly any say.
Old 09-03-18, 10:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Like Murano? I've been driving rear wheel biased AWD always.
The new acura rdx sh awd must throw you off a bit then. A fwd derived awd vehicle with rwd bias. pretty cool engineering.

In corporate world marketing always dictates. Engineers have hardly any say.
I know what you mean but disagree. Toyota's top guy seems more engineer than marketer. This infinit wouldn't have the trick vc engine if engineers didn't have a say.
Old 09-04-18, 01:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

love this shot of the interior...

Old 09-04-18, 01:57 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Is this the vehicle that replaced the FX when Infiniti changed their naming convention? I always liked the look of the FX35 and FX45 back in the day. Not sure if this is the same?

^^Nice interior for sure.
Old 09-05-18, 05:25 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Is this the vehicle that replaced the FX when Infiniti changed their naming convention? I always liked the look of the FX35 and FX45 back in the day. Not sure if this is the same?
No, that's the QX70. Their naming convention makes no sense at all. It's the second-highest number, but the second-smallest SUV in the lineup.

The QX50 is the Murano, and the QX60 is the Pathfinder.
Old 09-05-18, 05:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
No, that's the QX70. Their naming convention makes no sense at all. It's the second-highest number, but the second-smallest SUV in the lineup.

The QX50 is the Murano, and the QX60 is the Pathfinder.
Strange on the naming convention and I agree with you it makes no sense given that the QX60 is bigger than the QX70.. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-18, 05:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Strange on the naming convention and I agree with you it makes no sense given that the QX60 is bigger than the QX70.. Thanks for the info.
The QX50 is bigger than the QX70 too. The only one smaller is the QX30, which used to be the EX35 back in the day.
Old 09-05-18, 07:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The QX50 is bigger than the QX70 too. The only one smaller is the QX30, which used to be the EX35 back in the day.
well there is no more QX70 for 2018, so it shouldn't be mentioned anymore.
Old 09-05-18, 08:32 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually it went:

New Model --> QX30
EX35 --> QX50
FX50 --> QX70 discontinued
JX35 --> QX60
QX56--> QX80

But whatever, semantics.

Quick Reply: 2019 Infiniti QX50