Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Now my 4Runner has an issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 04:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Bell housing gasket leak could be one possibility but if it's right at the axle shaft then it's a possible front differential leak right at the axle seal where the CV shaft mates with the differential. These guys here describe something similar.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ferential.html

But check your transmission dipstick before you drive too much further in case you really have lost some transmission fluid.
will look in the morning. I don't think there is dipstick for sealed Toyota transmissions
Old 11-26-17, 04:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
will look in the morning. I don't think there is dipstick for sealed Toyota transmissions
You're correct. As long as you don't have any yellow lights on the dash, then you might not have lost too much fluid.
Old 11-26-17, 05:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You're correct. As long as you don't have any yellow lights on the dash, then you might not have lost too much fluid.
No lights. Perhaps coolant?
Old 11-26-17, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Also, although you have probably already thought of this, if possible, make sure it actually is the transmission and not the transfer-case. Dedicated off-roaders like the 4Runner, with true 4WD systems, have a separate transfer-case, near the transmission, which also holds fluid.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-17 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-26-17, 05:12 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

No lights. Perhaps coolant?
You might not have lost enough to trigger a trouble code, so no light.
Old 11-26-17, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, although you have probably already thought of this, if possible, make sure it actually is the transmission and not the transfer-case. Dedicated off-roaders like the 4Runner, with true 4WD systems, have a separate transfer-case, near the transmission, with also holds fluid.
Thought of that. The transfer case is rear of the tranny. This leak is in front. Coming right from where the tranny is fitted together. Just can't figure out if it is from about the tranny and seeping down.

You might not have lost enough to trigger a trouble code, so no light.
Husband does have a ODB reader. Might see if he will come up to Toronto before Wednesday to plug it in. Or perhaps he left it with me. Will have to look tomorrow.
Old 11-26-17, 05:41 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Worth a look but I doubt the OBD code reader is going to show anything. If you haven't already had some sort of TRACS, VSC or SES light already - your computer believes the vehicle is ok. It's just a slow leak because you're driveshaft knuckle in that pic is a little wet and then further down the skid plate is quite wet.

I'm not a betting man, but you have a bell housing gasket leak or you have a front differential seal leak. Lot's of complicated hardware on a 4 wheel drive like the 4Runner, but it's a tank so it doesn't complain even when subsystems start acting up. Love Toyotas and Japanese vehicles for this reason - lots of advance warning that something's up.

And holy-Hollywood, that 4Runner sure has seen a lot of Central Canadian salty-salt. Looks like a good bit of your underneath there is rusted solid. Now I know why we Westerners don't like Ontario used vehicles. A lot of nasty used car dealers here will buy up cheapo auction vehicles and shine them up, resell to unsuspecting people.

Last edited by MattyG; 11-26-17 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Worth a look but I doubt the OBD code reader is going to show anything. If you haven't already had some sort of TRACS, VSC or SES light already - your computer believes the vehicle is ok. It's just a slow leak because you're driveshaft knuckle in that pic is a little wet and then further down the skid plate is quite wet.

I'm not a betting man, but you have a bell housing gasket leak or you have a front differential seal leak. Lot's of complicated hardware on a 4 wheel drive like the 4Runner, but it's a tank so it doesn't complain even when subsystems start acting up. Love Toyotas and Japanese vehicles for this reason - lots of advance warning that something's up.
Thanks. Just worried this is gonna be a major repair
Old 11-26-17, 06:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And holy-Hollywood, that 4Runner sure has seen a lot of Central Canadian salty-salt. Looks like a good bit of your underneath there is rusted solid. Now I know why we Westerners don't like Ontario used vehicles. A lot of nasty used car dealers here will buy up cheapo auction vehicles and shine them up, resell to unsuspecting people.
Yes and no. The flash from my camera makes it look much worse. Nothing at all on the body,
Old 11-26-17, 06:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I hope you're kidding....

Most Toyotas or Lexus especially in the southern states will start leaking somewhere at a good amount before 100k miles. Be it valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, steering racks, etc... leaks happen. Yes even on Toyota and Lexus.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns. Alot of it depends on the climate, dry climate might be ideal because it's nice to not have a rotting frame, but the dry heat will take its toll much quicker on most rubber components that include seals on your engine/trans, weatherstripping, so on and so forth.

We work on Porsches of all generations at my work more than any other cars and those things leak before 10k miles.... yeah $200k Turbo S with oil leaks at under 10k miles. Now that is sad.
Agreed.

Not all BMWs will be lemons and not all Hondas will be peaches. Some marques do have reputations for above average reliability, but at the end of the day, a car is a car and anything can happen to it.

As to the undercarriage of that 4Runner.. nature elements > Toyota and all makes.

For what its worth, I agree its lame that it happened, but sometimes these things are part of car ownership.

I didn't expect a Toyota to start leaking at 100k. That is all. Don't expect most manufacturers to do that either.
Old 11-26-17, 10:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

My experience with Toyota has been very good for leaks. Usually can get to 200k without a leak. That is why I am annoyed.
How many toyotas have you had with over 200k?
Old 11-27-17, 06:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
How many toyotas have you had with over 200k?
Since the early 80s, at least 10 Toyota's in our family that have got close or crossed the 200k mark. Most recently was my brothers 03 Sienna van which he has now traded in. I don't expect Toyota's to have leaking parts at just over 100K.
Old 11-27-17, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I didn't expect a Toyota to start leaking at 100k. That is all. Don't expect most manufacturers to do that either.
There are reasons, Jill, why no manufacturer in the American market (and in most other countries, too) will factory-warranty their products, even with an extended warranty, past 100K miles. That is the limit even for Hyundai/Kia/Genesis and Mitsubishi, currently the best warranties in the business. Isuzu, at one time, had a 120K warranty on their drivetrains, but that obviously didn't last very long.
Old 11-27-17, 06:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are reasons, Jill, why no manufacturer in the American market (and in most other countries, too) will factory-warranty their products, even with an extended warranty, past 100K miles. That is the limit even for Hyundai/Kia/Genesis and Mitsubishi, currently the best warranties in the business. Isuzu, at one time, had a 120K warranty on their drivetrains, but that obviously didn't last very long.
What's fascinating about them and you know actuaries are behind it....

I stupidly bought one on a BMW 335i. Unreliable, CR most unreliable and avoid lists (then recommended for 2010 same car no changes) blah blah blah (turned out not to be the case). It was very straightforward, choices were 6/70, 6/100 (typical), 7/70, 7/100, from the date of in-service. Can be purchased up to the last day of the 4/50 warranty. Of course nothing broke except VANOS.

WHY WOULD ANYONE CHOOSE TO BUY IT DAY 1 AND FINANCE, when you can buy it the last day of the 4/50?

Now, many extended factory warranties are done say 3/54 FROM THE DAY IT'S PURCHASED. So let's say you buy it with 2 yrs. left on the factory warranty, it's written as 3/54 from that date and mileage, so essentially 2 of the 3 was already covered by the original warranty. Why are we as American consumers so easily snookered? I get that insurance has always done that, like when you insure say an engagement ring for 20k based on the appraisal, yet it's really worth 6k wholesale and that's all that insurance will pay out, they base the premium on 20 lol
Old 11-27-17, 07:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Agreed.

Not all BMWs will be lemons and not all Hondas will be peaches. Some marques do have reputations for above average reliability, but at the end of the day, a car is a car and anything can happen to it.

As to the undercarriage of that 4Runner.. nature elements > Toyota and all makes.

For what its worth, I agree its lame that it happened, but sometimes these things are part of car ownership.
I'm one of those first BMWs likely last (I would love a M3 sedan, budget says no), keep it forever.

The twin turbo 335i was on all unreliable and avoid lists, so, it would stand to reason an extended warranty is a no-brainer. I got one, and the house took me to the cleaners (this is by design). The problem is, on forums, you'll have 10 people state, "So lucky I got the extended warranty! It paid for itsself 5X over, I got turbos, water pump, this and that and the other thing!" The su***** like myself hide in shame and say, dag, I paid and got nothing. I better not say anything so I'll just lurk on the sidelines!

BMWs are not as unreliable as non-owners say, and Toyotas are not as reliable as their owners say. This in the old days was called puffing....

Quick Reply: Now my 4Runner has an issue