Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Now my 4Runner has an issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 05:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

The 1MZ is not detuned it makes good power for its displacement compared to other 3.0 economy engines of the day. Dino oil is never better regardless of what kind of lifter arrangement is used.
Old 11-28-17, 07:54 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

IIRC the Camry had lower output than any Lexus equiped vehicles. Read the post again and who said anything about dino oil being better?

/thread return...
Old 11-29-17, 06:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Not typical. Usually by then the cam seals especially are dried out and leaking, same for the head cover gaskets.
Head or valve cover? But imho it is true, seals leak often not dependent on mileage. Mine is good knock on wood, but how about the OFHG's on BMWs? Some even leak under warranty (4/50), that's fast. I always think to every action, there is an equal and more expensive reaction. I love my cartridge oil filter, so easy to DIY. But I think dag that housing is gonna leak one day. But I still think it's cool to see the oil cooler lines running into it.
Old 11-29-17, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Dropped off my 4Runner. Also getting an air bag recall done.

Question for anyone? The longer it takes to diagnose, better or worse?
Old 11-29-17, 01:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Head or valve cover?
Same thing. Vast majority say valve cover but in reality it is a cylinder head cover. The factory service manual uses this terminology.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Too many factors to say. A bad tech might take 5 hours to find a simple problem, a good tech might take 5 hours to find an intermittent issue.
Old 11-30-17, 07:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Heard back this morning. I had a small leak/tear in the transmission oil cooling line. Fluid is seeping out slowly. They can do a small patch up of the line or I can just replace all the cooling lines. Chose to just change all the lines. It's going to be at least 5 days for all the parts to arrive as they are being shipped from Japan.
Old 11-30-17, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Depends on several factors...the competency of the repair shop and technician, the quality of the reference material they have to work with AllData, Mitchell on Demand, Service Manuals, how easy the affected part is to get to, etc....

Sometimes, a shop taking their time to diagnose can actually be better. It shows that they are taking their time to do it slowly, carefully, and correctly....as long as they aren't just charging you by the hour needlessly, for trivial reasons. Some shops have a recommended repair-cost guide ....and basically charge that, no matter how long it took, and others charge by the hour labor-rates.

Chose to just change all the lines.
If you plan to keep the vehicle a while, I agree with your decision.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 07:33 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

There is nothing wrong a proper union to section worn through steel lines. However, the rust factor present on this vehicle makes it moot point as it is likely played a role in this leak. That said, good call replacing the lines....

Installing them in a completely assembled vehicle will be painful tho as they are fitted to the married engine/trans before it goes into the frame before the cab is dropped on...
Old 11-30-17, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Heard back this morning. I had a small leak/tear in the transmission oil cooling line. Fluid is seeping out slowly. They can do a small patch up of the line or I can just replace all the cooling lines. Chose to just change all the lines. It's going to be at least 5 days for all the parts to arrive as they are being shipped from Japan.
sounds like a pricey repair.
Old 11-30-17, 09:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Depends on the labor involved. If they have to remove a bunch of other crap to get to the trans cooler lines, yes it will be expensive.

Sounds like a corrosion issue to me. Glad I live in the south, cars/trucks can last forever if they don't get hill-billied out(ie trashed by their drug addicted white trash 2nd/3rd/4th owner).
Old 12-01-17, 06:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just under $600 CD all together. I have a few other things getting done as well. Oil change, tire, propeller shaft. I didn't ask for a breakdown of the total.
Old 12-01-17, 06:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sometimes dealers are just too busy to call back or are going after bigger jobs. If one has a loaner it doesn't matter, assuming the loaner is a new car, and yours is old, which is always my case. A coworker had a '15 Acura at the dealer for almost 3 weeks, issue was he couldn't get FM stereo properly. He said he didn't care as the loaner is brand new, they can keep his '15. The duration had nothing to do with the job, more incompetence of SAs and following up
Old 12-01-17, 01:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I actually found out within two hours of dropping it off. I didn't check my messages at the my office till yesterday morning. Anyway, heard back to day, the vehicle is ready and repaired. They also changed the side curtain air bag as it was a recall.
Old 12-01-17, 02:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you got it taken care of Jill.... and ignore the hater in this thread
Old 12-01-17, 04:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Glad you got it taken care of Jill.... and ignore the hater in this thread
Thanks. I am gonna pick it up Monday. Too busy today. I expect Toyotas to last a lot longer than other brands such as GM, Ford, and Chrysler. That is why I pay a premium for the brand.

What I was worried about was a catastrophic transmission problem to engine problem.

Quick Reply: Now my 4Runner has an issue