Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Now my 4Runner has an issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 05:33 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. I am gonna pick it up Monday. Too busy today. I expect Toyotas to last a lot longer than other brands such as GM, Ford, and Chrysler. That is why I pay a premium for the brand.

What I was worried about was a catastrophic transmission problem to engine problem.
What premium? Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Kia to name a few are all very competitive, but still I'd associate them as economy class. Step up to Infiniti for example as business class. Mercedes for first class.
Old 12-01-17, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What premium? Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Kia to name a few are all very competitive, but still I'd associate them as economy class. Step up to Infiniti for example as business class. Mercedes for first class.

I think what Jill was getting at was that Toyotas and Hondas traditionally sell at slightly higher prices than even their closest competition.....Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Kia, Hyundai. etc...
Old 12-01-17, 05:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Thanks. I am gonna pick it up Monday. Too busy today. I expect Toyotas to last a lot longer than other brands such as GM, Ford, and Chrysler. That is why I pay a premium for the brand.

What I was worried about was a catastrophic transmission problem to engine problem.
Do you think most GM, Ford or Chrysler vehicles will go for 10+ years with only a $600 repair? How did this repair mean your 4Runner didn't last?
Old 12-01-17, 06:12 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, you buy domestic BoF SUVs for about 3-5 years and then budget constant fixes or just go back to the dealership for the next one. You buy Toyota BoF SUVs for this very reason. You keep them right up to high mileages.

But you do have to fix them. $600 is dirt cheap for the amount of use on road and maybe cottage country roads with salt crusted and other chemicals in Ontario that this SUV has seen. The 4th generation 4Runner is still an amazing vehicle because it's no butchy fake SUV, it's the real deal.
Old 12-01-17, 06:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Look at the prices for Toyota and Honda vs their direct competition. Toyota and Honda sell for higher prices. They also don't have giant rebates. Toyota can actually get away with selling higher prices and less features.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think what Jill was getting at was that Toyotas and Hondas traditionally sell at slightly higher prices than even their closest competition.....Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Kia, Hyundai. etc...
Yes. This is exactly what I am talking about.
Old 12-01-17, 06:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
IMHO, you buy domestic BoF SUVs for about 3-5 years and then budget constant fixes or just go back to the dealership for the next one.
believe what you want... my '06 explorer went 9 years and 105K mi. with no repairs except replacing the nav/cd unit under warranty.
just met someone with a 2003 jeep liberty i believe... some 200k mi. on it, no issues.
ford f150s are routinely kept a decade with no issues.

The 4th generation 4Runner is still an amazing vehicle because it's no butchy fake SUV, it's the real deal.
the real deal as in 5 speed auto, horrible fuel economy and woefully out of date? but consumers don't care... amazing they sold 10k last month.

Toyota can actually get away with selling higher prices and less features.
that's true but not forever.
Old 12-01-17, 06:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Do you think most GM, Ford or Chrysler vehicles will go for 10+ years with only a $600 repair? How did this repair mean your 4Runner didn't last?
never said it was not going to last. Was just worried it was going to be a very big repair bill.

IMHO, you buy domestic BoF SUVs for about 3-5 years and then budget constant fixes or just go back to the dealership for the next one. You buy Toyota BoF SUVs for this very reason. You keep them right up to high mileages.
i agree with you. I don't expect a GMC Envoy or Trailblazer of that era to last as long.
Old 12-01-17, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the real deal as in 5 speed auto, horrible fuel economy and woefully out of date? but consumers don't care... amazing they sold 10k last month.
er.
I don't really know what the current gen number is. I think it's 5th gen. However, you either like the 4Runner or you don't. Nothing wrong if you don't. However, it does have a very very high satisfaction rate among Toyota owners. Also comes with very higher if not the highest resale value among all mainstream cars, trucks and SUVs. I can't stand the Jeep GC, never liked them and the new one does absolutely nothing for me, however the Wrangler works for me. I do like the Wrangler I must say.
Old 12-01-17, 06:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

that's true but not forever.
Toyota does up the ante for their vehicles when jet want to. The new Camry added much better rear suspension setups, features, and very good MPG without going to turbo.
Old 12-01-17, 06:51 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Look at the prices for Toyota and Honda vs their direct competition. Toyota and Honda sell for higher prices. They also don't have giant rebates.
I haven't looked at the domestics lately, but the Toyota's come with 2 years of complimentary maintenance, many have the standard safety system all this costs Toyota something. It's all baked into the cost, which is fine.

Toyota can actually get away with selling higher prices and less features.
Funny, if it was Lexus we were talking about you'd probably complain

Toyota does up the ante for their vehicles when jet want to. The new Camry added much better rear suspension setups, features, and very good MPG without going to turbo.
Hasn't the new Accord been beating out the Camry in many real world tests

"Toyota made a better Camry, Honda made a better car"

Source

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-01-17 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 07:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't looked at the domestics lately, but the Toyota's come with 2 years of complimentary maintenance, many have the standard safety system all this costs Toyota something. It's all baked into the cost, which is fine.

Funny, if it was Lexus we were talking about you'd probably complain

Hasn't the new Accord been beating out the Camry in many real world tests

"Toyota made a better Camry, Honda made a better car"

Source
Why would I complain about Lexus. Lexus can't charge more for their cars compared to the German brands however they can compared to Cadillac, Lincoln and Buick.

And yes, the Accord is the better car. But I did say Honda was on par with Toyota. I believe
Old 12-01-17, 07:01 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

believe what you want... my '06 explorer went 9 years and 105K mi. with no repairs except replacing the nav/cd unit under warranty.
just met someone with a 2003 jeep liberty i believe... some 200k mi. on it, no issues.
ford f150s are routinely kept a decade with no issues.
Junk x 2 on both counts. I wouldn't touch either of those if they were giving them away. One anecdotal opinion and some random guy you met in some random place, vs the 4Runner's legendary rep. Good luck fighting that one Bit. Where oh where is the Liberty these days? Afraid it's been relegated to Chrysler's junk pile. 4Runner's still around though. I fully expect your GC to be traded in poste haste at the end of the warranty.

Now you're getting it. Smile when you say that. Exploder's getting great fuel economy too?
Old 12-01-17, 07:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Jill, looking at the pics you posted, your truck is rotted pretty bad. Don't get too upset when stuff like fuel lines, brake lines, and everything else needs to be replaced soon. Can't avoid it living up north. You should have had your Runner sprayed at Krown or Carwell when it was still fairly new but now it's kind of pointless.

As much as I don't like German vehicles and do not ever wish to own one, the Germans do have one thing right and that's far superior corrosion protection on most of their vehicles compared to the Japanese. From using cavity wax on most of their cars to using superior paint and powder coatings, to using lots of aluminum components designed to withstand corrosion, I believe they most definitely have an edge over the Japanese (and Americans) and probably why they cost so much more.

Toyota trucks are notorious for getting excessive frame/chassis/body rust. Great vehicles but the factory e-coatings are a joke and not designed to withstand northern winters. If salt comes into the picture than it's game over you you're driving a rusty clunker after something like 5 years.

The issue was only ever brought to light when the frames on Tacomas started breaking in half and Toyota issued frame recalls for more than one generation of Tacomas. You never hear anything about 4Runners or Land Cruisers because they use fully boxed Japanese frames that were made better than the crap Dana supplied for Tacomas....however, everything else underneath still rusts on all Toyota trucks. So while you can probably rest assured your frame is not going to snap, trying to work on a vehicle with that much rust....anything that needs to be taken apart is probably seized and will require 2-3X book time to fix compared to a southern truck with no rust. Than factor in the need to replace all the hardware to complete the repair, so on and so forth. Big issue for Toyotas. Nobody keeps a car more than 3-5 years anymore so nobody is complaining about it. Toyota does not care about people like you or me that keep these things when they are already 10-20 years old.
Old 12-01-17, 07:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Junk x 2 on both counts. I wouldn't touch either of those if they were giving them away. One anecdotal opinion and some random guy you met in some random place, vs the 4Runner's legendary rep. Good luck fighting that one Bit. Where oh where is the Liberty these days? Afraid it's been relegated to Chrysler's junk pile. 4Runner's still around though. I fully expect your GC to be traded in poste haste at the end of the warranty.

Now you're getting it. Smile when you say that. Exploder's getting great fuel economy too?
Toyota charges a premium for their 4Runner SUVs. Same with most of their BOF vehicles. I don't subscribe to the idea that Toyota is an economy brand. I look at Toyota more like full line brand like Chevrolet with economy/starter cars to a premium vehicles like an Avalon, Highlander, Sequia. And they also provide trucks for a variety of needs.
Old 12-01-17, 07:51 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Why would I complain about Lexus. Lexus can't charge more for their cars compared to the German brands however they can compared to Cadillac, Lincoln and Buick.

And yes, the Accord is the better car. But I did say Honda was on par with Toyota. I believe
Well you sure got rid of your CT in a hurry hah

Quick Reply: Now my 4Runner has an issue