Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18 | 04:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Looks like Lexus wants to try and sell more hybrids. They are reducing the premium for getting a 2018 AWD RX450h and RX450hL down to $1025 to $1550 respectively. They're doing the same across the line. Some people noted this on the LS 500 thread with the hybrid version being much closer in pricing to the regular gasoline vehicle.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...hybrid-premium
Old 02-20-18 | 06:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i noticed they're not lowering the prices of hybrids really, they're just lowering the equipment to match the non-hybrids. but i think it's a good move. although since dealers seem to stock so few hybrids, my bet is they'll still stock only loaded ones, kind of defeating lexus' strategy.
Old 02-20-18 | 06:35 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i noticed they're not lowering the prices of hybrids really, they're just lowering the equipment to match the non-hybrids. but i think it's a good move. although since dealers seem to stock so few hybrids, my bet is they'll still stock only loaded ones, kind of defeating lexus' strategy.
That would be interesting... I have always believed that Toyota (and Lexus) loaded up its hybrids -- including and especially the Prius -- with "luxury" equipment (such as HID headlamps and full vehicle stability control on the Prius before they became widely available in mass-market vehicles) in an attempt to hide the premium price of the hybrid models. Those individual luxury features actually cost very little but because they were associated with luxury cars (or more expensive trims), their addition helped to justify the higher prices of the hybrid models.
Old 02-20-18 | 06:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yes, a classic car company strategy. You have this product that has costly tech but in order to move it in low volumes you have lard it up a lot of options so that people will buy into the outrageous premium that defeats the purpose of a hybrid in the first place, fuel savings.
Old 02-20-18 | 07:34 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

It sucks.I Will NOT buy this crap. They have lost their minds. If I wanted 7 seats I would not be in a RX.. Looks like I will have to keep my 2011 RX 450h longer than I thought. Hope it cuts down on the units sold and they go back to a 5 seat RX h again.
Old 02-20-18 | 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

billy44bo - but 5 seat rxh still available.
Old 02-21-18 | 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

billy44bo - but 5 seat rxh still available.
How do people not get this ?!?

All the people who have/want 5 seat RXs are up in arms when that vehicle still exists and isn’t going anywhere. When you tell them that they just ignore it.
Old 02-21-18 | 08:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS

How do people not get this ?!?

All the people who have/want 5 seat RXs are up in arms when that vehicle still exists and isn’t going anywhere. When you tell them that they just ignore it.
We call those people "trolls."
Old 02-21-18 | 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
We call those people "trolls."
I'm talking about real, participating members of CL, not one off trolls. The member bit quoted has been a member here for 14 years and has 860 posts.
Old 04-07-18 | 04:00 PM
Hoovey689

First picture I saw on Lexus.com today. Targeting much? Also I love how they chose the angle that doesn't show the massive rear overhang hah!

Last edited by Hoovey689; 04-07-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-23-18 | 05:05 PM
stuartfl
5th Gear

Default Just bought 2018 RX350L

ok, when the 2016 made it’s debut I was horrified, looked like a transformer car or something out of Star Wars. Swore my 2015 RX was my last Lexus. Then it started to grow on me little by little until my wife and I decided we liked it. Went to,get a new RX and the L was there, something about the look of it, we like the roof line being higher in the back and it looked beautiful. We bought an atomic silver with the cashmere interior. Talking about the interior, it is stunning like something I would expect in a much more expensive car. This is the best Lexus yet. This is my 4th RX, 2007,2010, 2015 and now the 2018RXL. I thought the 2015 was awesome but I don’t miss it at all. I hate to say it but no comparison between the two. I am having an issue getting accustomed to the steering assist and lane center assist, kinda weird, I go between turning it off and trying it. At first I was fighting the steering and felt the wheel was binding but the service manager took me for a ride and explained how it all works. Takes some getting used to it. The jury is,still out, only had it since Saturday
Old 04-23-18 | 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Congratulations on the new RX350L, and best of luck with it. The Atomic Silver is also one of Lexus's best colors.

The jury is,still out, only had it since Saturday
Since you're new to this thread, we all had a long discussion here about the RX350L. There's a lot of nice things about it, but one area where it was compromised is that the actual length was not stretched very much to accommodate the new third-row seat his year, so that the three seats are (more or less) crammed into the same space as the former two were. This, of course, may not be much of a problem if you don't have large or tall people in the family.
Old 04-24-18 | 09:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on the new RX350L, and best of luck with it. The Atomic Silver is also one of Lexus's best colors.

Since you're new to this thread, we all had a long discussion here about the RX350L. There's a lot of nice things about it, but one area where it was compromised is that the actual length was not stretched very much to accommodate the new third-row seat his year, so that the three seats are (more or less) crammed into the same space as the former two were. This, of course, may not be much of a problem if you don't have large or tall people in the family.
he meant jury on driving assists, not the car which he thinks is the best Lexus yet.
Old 04-24-18 | 11:42 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stuartfl
ok, when the 2016 made it’s debut I was horrified, looked like a transformer car or something out of Star Wars. Swore my 2015 RX was my last Lexus. Then it started to grow on me little by little until my wife and I decided we liked it. Went to,get a new RX and the L was there, something about the look of it, we like the roof line being higher in the back and it looked beautiful. We bought an atomic silver with the cashmere interior. Talking about the interior, it is stunning like something I would expect in a much more expensive car. This is the best Lexus yet. This is my 4th RX, 2007,2010, 2015 and now the 2018RXL. I thought the 2015 was awesome but I don’t miss it at all. I hate to say it but no comparison between the two. I am having an issue getting accustomed to the steering assist and lane center assist, kinda weird, I go between turning it off and trying it. At first I was fighting the steering and felt the wheel was binding but the service manager took me for a ride and explained how it all works. Takes some getting used to it. The jury is,still out, only had it since Saturday
congrats on the new RX L. Since we’ve had ours now for about a year. I can say that the driving assists did take some getting used to but we love it now! It really attributes to why we love it as a long distance cruiser. The one thing I would warn you about is the radar cruise control, it doesn’t always pick up cars fast enough who are entering a freeway from an on ramp. Since it detects the slow moving car so late, it triggers the collision warning system. Long story short, the driving assists are great, but watch out for slow moving cars entering the freeway!
Old 04-24-18 | 03:12 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jwong77
congrats on the new RX L. Since we’ve had ours now for about a year....
How have you owned a car for a year that's been available for sale for 98 days?

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs