Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Here is the Odyssey in Malaysia, Hong Kong, and New Zealand:
https://www.honda.com.my/model/overview/odyssey
https://www.honda.com.hk/index.php/e...s/odyssey-2016
https://www.honda.co.nz/cars/odyssey/explore/

Family sizes are getting smaller and smaller, but there is still a small market for people movers...
Toyota has a large minivan for the Australia market and other places. It's amazing what a little bit of research does

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota has a large minivan for Australia and other places. It's amazing what a little bit of research does
fixed for you. It's amazing what a little bit of grammar does

---

But yeah, let's try to keep this thread more about the RX L and less about minivans.
Old 12-06-17, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
fixed for you. It's amazing what a little bit of grammar does

---
You should of put in the "Australian market" for me, as that is what my intention was.
Old 12-06-17, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

---

But yeah, let's try to keep this thread more about the RX L and less about minivans.
I think it is sort of relevant in the context of what we were talking about. A Lexus AWD Sienna would be superior to an RX 350L. But all good, no worries

I do wonder what sort of trim line you will have to select to get to the 7 passenger model. I wonder if you need to select a mid level trim to get the L version.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

You should of put in the "Australian market" for me, as that is what my intention was.
I don't like to assume, but point taken. All in fun.

I think it is sort of relevant in the context of what we were talking about. A Lexus AWD Sienna would be superior to an RX 350L.
Not just directed at you, just a reminder based on the last few posts. It's borderline.

I disagree, but because the Sienna is now ancient. It would be a bad use of resources at the moment. Plus the market's favorable trend towards CUVs rather than sedans and minivans. I'm not even sure how a minivan would work with the Lexus Spindle.

The L in my eyes is a bit of a cop out. Lengthening the body by 4.3 inches, rather than the adjust the wheelbase which is the same as the two-row version of the RX 350, seems like cheating. Granted it's easier to produce, but I'd have liked to see a lengthened wheelbase, different interior, and honestly was looking forward to that 'TX' name that was trademarked a few years ago.
Old 12-06-17, 03:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Family sizes are getting smaller.
Although the US has 1.8 children per child bearing woman, I read that Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong & Singapore etc have as little as 1.2 children per child bearing woman, hence it would be rather useless for such families to drive in a vehicle with 7 empty seats.
Hence, the boom in SUV's which provide copious vertical space for waistlines that are getting bigger and bigger.

However, I do believe that there is still a small, though diminutive market for an MPV with a proper 7/8 seats, as opposed to the new 7-seater Lexus RX350L with its limited 3rd row space [due to the high ground clearance provided for natural terrain travel].

Overseas, the Toyota Estima 7/8 seater looks like this, not with a spindle, but a big mouth "predator" grille.

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-06-17 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 10:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Maybe I'm just crazy, but that Estima still has the same sort of look as the old 1990's Previa van. Kind of weird, but I like the look of that van, it actually has some semblance of style and design to it, unlike the crap minivans we get here. Of course I felt kind of the same way about the old 90's Previa, looked like the shuttle craft off the USS Enterprise D.
Old 12-07-17, 05:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Here is the Odyssey in Malaysia, Hong Kong, and New Zealand:
https://www.honda.com.my/model/overview/odyssey
https://www.honda.com.hk/index.php/e...s/odyssey-2016
https://www.honda.co.nz/cars/odyssey/explore/

Family sizes are getting smaller and smaller, but there is still a small market for people movers...
Your links make my point for me. That is not the same vehicle lol, it has the same name but it is a completely different vehicle, more similar to the Asian Toyota vans than the US Odyssey.

If you look at dimensions I will bet that it’s a good bit smaller than the US Odyssey. Like I said, the “American Minivan” is a North America only product.

Families are getting smaller, maybe. But, family vehicles are getting bigger in the US.
Old 12-07-17, 06:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Your links make my point for me. That is not the same vehicle lol, it has the same name but it is a completely different vehicle, more similar to the Asian Toyota vans than the US Odyssey.

If you look at dimensions I will bet that it’s a good bit smaller than the US Odyssey. Like I said, the “American Minivan” is a North America only product.

Families are getting smaller, maybe. But, family vehicles are getting bigger in the US.
Yes, the US version of the Sienna & Odyssey are the same platform, but stretched one size larger than their international counterparts.

It's just like the Toyota Avalon & Lexus ES being mostly an US or North American only product, and not available in Europe.

Likewise, the Lexus RX350L and RX450hL is also an US-only product Hoovey???
Or is it available internationally too?

It's similar to property.

Population getting bigger via immigration.
Though families getting smaller through actual child birth.
However people getting bigger at girth/waistlines.

Hence land size getting smaller, while houses are getting bigger - especially by vertical increase in space via two storey homes & high rise buildings - as opposed to traditional acreage/suburban living with large single storey homes.

Ditto motor vehicles with fewer than 7/8 seats, but the actual dimensions getting bigger - especially by vertical increase in space via crossover CUV tall wagons - as opposed to traditional long wide lower full size sedans.

Vertical increase in space is actually more efficient & more economical than traditional horizontal increase in space.

The crossover CUV also "bridges" the gap between a sedan, and genuine SUV natural terrain vehicles like the Toyota Landcruiser with more genuine 2-piece body-on-frame ladder chassis & more genuine rear drive based 4WD driveline - for more genuine off-road & towing capabilities.

A 7-seat crossover CUV like the RX350L bridges the gap between an MPV with more genuine 7/8 seats, and a genuine SUV natural terrain vehicle...

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-07-17 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 07:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the US version of the Sienna & Odyssey are the same platform, but stretched one size larger than their international counterparts.
Exactly. Thats my point, if you did a Lexus version of the Sienna the only market would be here. If you were going to sell it overseas it would have to be a smaller vehicle, packaged differently.

It's just like the Toyota Avalon & Lexus ES being mostly an US or North American only product, and not available in Europe.
But they sell a ton of those vehicles making the engineering costs worthwhile, this would be a niche product.
Old 12-07-17, 10:24 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Exactly. Thats my point, if you did a Lexus version of the Sienna the only market would be here. If you were going to sell it overseas it would have to be a smaller vehicle, packaged differently.

But they sell a ton of those vehicles making the engineering costs worthwhile, this would be a niche product.
I see your point.

Yes, the Sienna is a huge full size MPV, while the Estima is midsize and based more directly off Camry platform, without stretching wheelbase and tracks too much.
Too difficult to reskin Sienna for Lexus application.

And yes, Avalon and ES is limited to North American markets only, but sells in reasonably decent numbers.
There isn't a huge amount of engineering either, as both Avalon and ES are stretched wheelbase reskinned Camries.

Poor old MPV's - today's family sizes in developed countries are just too small, and getting even smaller, and ever more nuclear.
But the girths/obesity are getting much bigger for tall crossovers.
While the 7-seat CUV like the RX350L is probably just another "large size" niche for the North American market like the Sienna & other NA minivans???

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-07-17 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right, and if you sold a Lexus reskinned Estima which might sell in Asia, it wouldn't appeal to US consumers and wouldn't fill the niche here.

A good example of that style MPV that was sold here is the Mazda 5. MUCH smaller than an American minivan. The Estima is 187 inches long, my new Pacifica is 204 inches long, a foot and a half longer
Old 12-07-17, 11:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I see your point.

Yes, the Sienna is a huge full size MPV, while the Estima is midsize and based more directly off Camry platform, without stretching wheelbase and tracks too much.
Too difficult to reskin Sienna for Lexus application.

And yes, Avalon and ES is limited to North American markets only, but sells in reasonably decent numbers.
There isn't a huge amount of engineering either, as both Avalon and ES are stretched wheelbase reskinned Camries.
Actually no, even 10 years ago, I have seen them in eastern Europe, I personally rode in a ES taxi in Dubai in 2008, and they are available in China now. Yes, the same car as in N.America with no size difference nor obvious visual difference.
​​​​​​​
Personally, I would take a Toyota Alphard as is or rebadged over the RX if made available here.
Old 12-07-17, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Personally, I would take a Toyota Alphard as is or rebadged over the RX if made available here.
I think you're in the minority there...
Old 12-07-17, 11:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I think you're in the minority there...
Alphard in top trim feels more luxurios than RX. And I don 't regard either minivans or SUV cool cars or vanity cars, both are just people/load movers that I don't care to drive, but for utility purpose.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs