Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lincoln Nautilus (replaces MKX)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 04:06 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about longevity, if ford was so bad, they wouldn't have the highest selling vehicle in the u.s. for DECADES (f150). they also made a profound and leading move into aluminum and turbos which was ahead of the curve and has paid off for them. i had 2 fords totally over a decade and had no issues (200k in total for both vehicles)... we can all find horror stories of course.
Best selling brand, leaders in aluminum and turbos are not the same as reliability. Singular experiences are not also the end all in reliability.

Hope this is the correct table.
Old 04-03-19, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The large spread between Ford and Lincoln problem-rates is quite interesting...even more so for Chevy/Cadillac and Dodge/Chrysler
Old 04-03-19, 11:04 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The large spread between Ford and Lincoln problem-rates is quite interesting...even more so for Chevy/Cadillac and Dodge/Chrysler
In general, I would expect the luxury version to have worse dependability than a similar mainstream product. The reason is that the luxury product has more things that can fail. Features added to make the luxe car that are not usually available on mainstream brands increase the potential for failures. For example, a loaded Camry has the same engine and drivetrain as the ES350. The ES has some items not on the Camry that could cause additional failures. Features such as the auto trunk, the kick opening for the trunk, the 4 way lumbar for the drivers seat, the UL performance dampers, etc. Having said this I find it strange that in most cases the luxury version rates higher on the Powers survey: Lexus over Toyota, Lincoln over Ford, etc. The ranking of Chevy over Cadillac would seem to make sense.
Old 04-04-19, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
In general, I would expect the luxury version to have worse dependability than a similar mainstream product. The reason is that the luxury product has more things that can fail. Features added to make the luxe car that are not usually available on mainstream brands increase the potential for failures. For example, a loaded Camry has the same engine and drivetrain as the ES350. The ES has some items not on the Camry that could cause additional failures. Features such as the auto trunk, the kick opening for the trunk, the 4 way lumbar for the drivers seat, the UL performance dampers, etc. Having said this I find it strange that in most cases the luxury version rates higher on the Powers survey: Lexus over Toyota, Lincoln over Ford, etc. The ranking of Chevy over Cadillac would seem to make sense.
Yes, the conventional thinking is that more features often means more potential failures, but some manufacturers just might (?) put more (or better) quality control into their more expensive products. And I take that relatively good ranking for Lincoln with a grain of salt......several of their recent products, IMO, have been rather loosely-screwed together and/or appear to have some QC slips. Consumer Reports, in general, seems to have more accurate ratings than J.D. Power.
Old 04-04-19, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, back to topic. I haven't personally seen a Nautilus, but hope to see one at the D.C. auto show next week. I'm going to assume (at least for the moment) that it is more than just a rebadged MKX....though the MKX itself was completely redesigned just a few years ago.
Old 04-04-19, 08:41 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Anyhow, back to topic. I haven't personally seen a Nautilus, but hope to see one at the D.C. auto show next week. I'm going to assume (at least for the moment) that it is more than just a rebadged MKX....though the MKX itself was completely redesigned just a few years ago.
It is just a bit more than a rebadged MKX. The biggest change is the switch from a 6 speed auto to an 8 speed. This helps with both performance and economy, particularly with the base engine. Before I leased my 2016 RX350 I seriously tested the MKX and the then new Cadillac XT5. The Lincoln was significantly better than either particularly with the 2.7 turbo V-6. It was quieter, faster, and had by far the best driver's seat. I chose the RX based on the poor quality dealer for the Lincoln. The Nautilus should be even farther ahead in its class than the MKX was.

The Lincoln Corsair will be all new rather than being a rebadged MKC since the Escape is all new. I assume the Corsair will continue the 2.3 turbo engine so it will be faster than most of its competition.
Old 04-04-19, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
It is just a bit more than a rebadged MKX. The biggest change is the switch from a 6 speed auto to an 8 speed. This helps with both performance and economy, particularly with the base engine. Before I leased my 2016 RX350 I seriously tested the MKX and the then new Cadillac XT5. The Lincoln was significantly better than either particularly with the 2.7 turbo V-6. It was quieter, faster, and had by far the best driver's seat. I chose the RX based on the poor quality dealer for the Lincoln. The Nautilus should be even farther ahead in its class than the MKX was.

The Lincoln Corsair will be all new rather than being a rebadged MKC since the Escape is all new. I assume the Corsair will continue the 2.3 turbo engine so it will be faster than most of its competition.
Yes, thanks for reminding me of the Corsair....if they have one at the show (and I don't see why not) I'm going to take a look at that, too.
Old 04-04-19, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Best selling brand, leaders in aluminum and turbos are not the same as reliability. Singular experiences are not also the end all in reliability.

Hope this is the correct table.
so a ford has .5 problems per vehicle more than a lexus. not a crisis.
Old 04-04-19, 01:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The issue i have with these rankings is they often treat superficial issues on the same level as say a major mechanical failure.

A company with a clunky infotainment system can be written off as the next AMC.
Old 04-04-19, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The reality is the RX isn't a very impressive product. I haven't driven a refreshed Nautilus but I suspect I would feel similarly.

As to "it should sell better", there are lots of cars that should sell better than they do. Bottom line is Lincoln just doesnt have the appeal that Lexus does.
Old 04-04-19, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The reality is the RX isn't a very impressive product. I haven't driven a refreshed Nautilus but I suspect I would feel similarly.

As to "it should sell better", there are lots of cars that should sell better than they do. Bottom line is Lincoln just doesnt have the appeal that Lexus does.
IMO. The new fully loaded Navigator is nicer than any Lexus car/suv currently available.
Old 04-04-19, 03:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

The reality is the RX isn't a very impressive product.
but it's the highest selling lexus by far so they must have done something right. the es and rx are lexus sweet spot, for people with conservative tastes, consider themselves as people who make 'sensible' and safe buying decisions, but want something nicer than than most and acceptable at the country club.

I haven't driven a refreshed Nautilus but I suspect I would feel similarly.
that you expect to not find it very impressive?
Old 04-04-19, 03:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

so a ford has .5 problems per vehicle more than a lexus. not a crisis.
I guess by that logic I guess we can officially declare BMWs reliable :P

Heck, at that point why even purchase a Lexus or Toyota product, just pick up a BMW, just as reliable eh?
Old 04-04-19, 06:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
IMO. The new fully loaded Navigator is nicer than any Lexus car/suv currently available.
Its not comparable to any Lexus vehicle other than the LX. I would agree its a nicer vehicle inside than the LX. Is it nicer inside than an LS500? Not IMHO, but you're comparing apples to bowling ***** there.

but it's the highest selling lexus by far so they must have done something right. the es and rx are lexus sweet spot, for people with conservative tastes, consider themselves as people who make 'sensible' and safe buying decisions, but want something nicer than than most and acceptable at the country club.
If you look at what tends to sell the best, often you find they are not the most impressive vehicles in the segment. See Camry, see Accord. See Highlander. See Rav4, CR-V. Mainstream non enthusiasts like what they like, what they've had, and the things that make another model "more impressive" just don't matter to them.

The RX is fine, but it doesn't excel anywhere.

that you expect to not find it very impressive?
That I would find it more impressive than an RX
Old 04-04-19, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Have you sampled a new RX? I'll admit the front end is over-styled, but, on the road, it drives pretty nicely, and is quite comfortable....far better, IMO, than the NX, although the UX also drives better than I thought it would.

I have several friends with new RXs, and they love it.

Bottom line is Lincoln just doesnt have the appeal that Lexus does.
The latest Navigator is very impressive in many ways, but the price tag puts it out of reach for many people.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lincoln Nautilus (replaces MKX)