Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 08:13 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
ok chill out. I think I said mainstream North American brand. But I am too tired to go back and look. A Mercedes S class is not what we are discussing. Who brought it up?
We are discussing Full Size Sedans, The OP started the conversation about American badged full size.. someone said something about the Avalon being the last true full sized car sold in North America, so if you are tossing in a Toyota, it's only fair to toss in the Germans as well, the S-Class is sold in North America, as is the 7 series, and the A8 etc.

From an American Badged POV, the Dodge/.Chrysler Hemi cars and the Caddy CT-6 are all that are really left from the Big 3.. Some might say the Lincoln MK whatever and the Taurus, but they are more like large mid size then actual full size (IMO).

on a side note, the wonderful State of California is entertaining a bill to outlaw all ICE vehicles for sale or registration by 2040. guess I'll be moving, while I'm not opposed to an electric vehicle as a daily driver, I won't be giving up my motorcycle or hot rod because of some idiot lawmakers in CA.
Old 12-06-17, 08:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
We are discussing Full Size Sedans, The OP started the conversation about American badged full size.. someone said something about the Avalon being the last true full sized car sold in North America, so if you are tossing in a Toyota, it's only fair to toss in the Germans as well, the S-Class is sold in North America, as is the 7 series, and the A8 etc.

From an American Badged POV, the Dodge/.Chrysler Hemi cars and the Caddy CT-6 are all that are really left from the Big 3.. Some might say the Lincoln MK whatever and the Taurus, but they are more like large mid size then actual full size (IMO).

on a side note, the wonderful State of California is entertaining a bill to outlaw all ICE vehicles for sale or registration by 2040. guess I'll be moving, while I'm not opposed to an electric vehicle as a daily driver, I won't be giving up my motorcycle or hot rod because of some idiot lawmakers in CA.
ok ok. Toss in the Germans too.
Old 12-06-17, 08:19 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

ok ok. Toss in the Germans too.
toss them in or toss them out..
Old 12-06-17, 08:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
toss them in or toss them out..
I don't think the German or flagship large cars are in any danger. That is why I think some don't want to talk about them.
Old 12-06-17, 09:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

If you mean me Jill i never mind talking about the awesome s class but i guess i felt a 6 figure car wasn't mainstream but it's all good.
Old 12-06-17, 10:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Why are we talking about the last gen(2012) Impala???? That car had a really tight rear seat, knees brushed the rear seat back, something the current Impala eliminated, its a lot nicer in the rear seat on the new model. 2017 Impala has 18.8 cubic feet of trunk space, 105 cubic feet in the cabin.
Old 12-07-17, 06:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'd like to know what happened to all the Chevy Caprices that used to be deployed as taxis and police cars. I don't know the exact year but they were gone before my 1998 Nissan, seemingly overnight. If GM exited the market more than 20 yrs. ago, and handed it to Ford, it would be quite surprising that they were that wrong, and that they should be building full sized sedans today....give me a 1994 Roadmaster LT1, for a fair price, and I'll drive it as soon as my divorce goes through as a result of that purchase. I may like it, but I would be 1/1000 imho...and even in this very thread, seems like many embrace the idea of FWD (not sure why)
Old 12-07-17, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think the German or flagship large cars are in any danger. That is why I think some don't want to talk about them.
They are not totally insulated from the SUV craze, but, no, they have not reached the level of sluggishness (compared to past sales) that we are seeing with Ford and GM.
Old 12-07-17, 08:16 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Every time I rent an American car, I tell myself that I need to make more $$$ to not drive one of these things.

I would buy a Korean car before American.. I can't stand that Cadillacs still use similar dash/radio frame as their Chevy counterparts..
Old 12-07-17, 08:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

I would buy a Korean car before American....
Me as well.
Old 12-07-17, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

My American Pacifica is really nice, as were my American Jeep Grand Cherokees. I think the stigma is largely outdated nowadays.
Old 12-07-17, 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My American Pacifica is really nice, as were my American Jeep Grand Cherokees. I think the stigma is largely outdated nowadays.
Yes, the evidence, at least since the GM/Chrysler buyout, pretty much supports that. Even if FCA products are still at or near the bottom of the bar of today's reliability ratings, the bar itself has been moved upwards considerably from those days. And, to top it off, today, most of the complaints are not about actual mechanical breakdowns, but stuff like how difficult video screens and E-shifters are to operate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-17 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I would buy a Korean car before American..
With today's parts-contents laws, there is no such thing as a truly American, European, Japanese, Chinese, or Korean vehicle any more. That's why the country-of-origin of major components (engine, transmission, etc..) is required on today's price-stickers.

When one speaks of a vehicle's nationality nowadays, it is simply the nameplate and little else.

Old 12-07-17, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

^^ exactly. far too simplistic to say 'american' or any other nationality.
is an accord made in ohio 'american'? it probably has more american content than most gm vehicles.
Old 12-07-17, 01:25 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^bit, i think m meant:
"designed in america" "made in america"

take apple and the first gen SC300/400 for example

apple: "designed in california" "made in china"
SC300/400: "designed in california" "made in japan"

Quick Reply: If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.