Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
^^^bit, i think m meant:
"designed in america" "made in america"

take apple and the first gen SC300/400 for example

apple: "designed in california" "made in china"
SC300/400: "designed in california" "made in japan"
An American nameplate does not necessarily even mean "designed in America". Some vehicles with American nameplates are simply rebadged imports....or vehicles designed (and sometimes built) overseas with American nameplates. The best examples I can think of are the smaller, German (Opel)-designed Buicks, such as the Cascada, Regal, Encore, and the now-discontinued Verano, but there are also others. The American Ford Escape, for example, was actually designed and first sold in Europe as the Ford "Ka". The recently-discontinued Dodge Dart was developed from an Italian Alfa Romeo platform, using Fiat Engines.
Old 12-07-17, 03:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The American Ford Escape, for example, was actually designed and first sold in Europe as the Ford "Ka".
just a slight correction, that's not the case, the Ka was a tiny sub-compact POS... i know someone who had one.

edit: they now have the Ka+ i see... still, no escape sized vehicle

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/ka-plus
Old 12-07-17, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just a slight correction, that's not the case, the Ka was a tiny sub-compact POS... i know someone who had one.

Yes, thanks for the correction, bit...a typo on my part (wouldn't be the first time LOL) I meant the European Ford Kuga.
Old 12-07-17, 05:27 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

With today's parts-contents laws, there is no such thing as a truly American, European, Japanese, Chinese, or Korean vehicle any more. That's why the country-of-origin of major components (engine, transmission, etc..) is required on today's price-stickers.

When one speaks of a vehicle's nationality nowadays, it is simply the nameplate and little else.

I understand it. At the end of the day, no matter where the car is made, I place American AUTOMAKER's cars at the bottom of the list.
Just a personal preference.

Only way I am buying American is if it's AT LEAST 30% less $$ than a competitive Japanese car. (Honda Accord vs Ford Fusion).
I actually considered leasing an Encore few months back. Only because I wanted a car for city-driving, and it fit the bill at $120/month lease..

EDIT: I place FIATs at the bottom... They are modern day Yugo's
Old 12-07-17, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I've been fairly unhappy with aspects of the build quality of my last 3 Lexus products, so I'm not of that camp as much any more.
Old 12-07-17, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I understand it. At the end of the day, no matter where the car is made, I place American AUTOMAKER's cars at the bottom of the list.
Just a personal preference.

Only way I am buying American is if it's AT LEAST 30% less $$ than a competitive Japanese car. (Honda Accord vs Ford Fusion).
I actually considered leasing an Encore few months back. Only because I wanted a car for city-driving, and it fit the bill at $120/month lease..

Did the Encore not have 20% off MSRP at one point?
Old 12-07-17, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
The Encore is actually an American-spec version of the European Opel/Vauxhall Mokka. You're certainly in a lot of company.....the Encore is Buick's bread-and-butter vehicle in the U.S., leading sales by a considerable margin.

If you are not already aware of it, the Yugo was, in fact, an old Fiat design from the early 1970s. It was built, of course, in Yugoslavia (hence the name) until the plant was heavily damaged in an air raid during the Kosovo war.
Old 12-07-17, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've been fairly unhappy with aspects of the build quality of my last 3 Lexus products, so I'm not of that camp as much any more.
Haven't owned one (except for the 2001 IS300 I had).......but, from reviews and test-drives, I noticed a distinct change in how many Lexus products were designed and built, starting right around 2006-2007.
Old 12-07-17, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't owned one (except for the 2001 IS300 I had).......but, from reviews and test-drives, I noticed a distinct change in how many Lexus products were designed and built, starting right around 2006-2007.
What did you notice?
Old 12-07-17, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What did you notice?
In general, lighter/thinner materials in the design, elimination of the nice 3.0L in-line 6 for V6s, slightly firmer suspensions/underpinnings, somewhat less "thunk" in the door-closings, some paint colors, particularly black, getting at least some noticeable orange-peel (though other colors, in the Lexus tradition, remained mirror-smooth), Less-impressive wood trim inside, more plastic in the interiors, deletion of some formerly standard features like the first-aid kit in the trunk (on some models, it is now an option), deletion of standard body-side moldings, replacing real spare tires with temporary spares or donuts, an increasing reliance on dash-electronics, less sound-insulation on some models (not all), substitution of fake leather for the real stuff (though, to be honest, the NuLuxe substitute is excellent), lower-profile tires that didn't absorb bumps as well, and a general change in the way Lexus products were advertised and marketed....you didn't have the smooth-sounding "Mr. Lexus" James Sloyan ads any more. While some of this, of course, is subjective rather than fact, personally, I tend to prefer the way Lexus products were done before that period, rather than after it.

While the CT, in fact, did sell pretty well under the Lexus nameplate (one cannot deny that), I still stand by my earlier statements that I don't think it should have been marketed as a Lexus, but rather as a Toyota. Except for the nice NuLuxe upholstery, which was superb, I just did not think it had the refinement, road manners, and feel that a Lexus product needs...I feel, to some extent, the same way about the NX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 07:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

In general, lighter/thinner materials in the design, elimination of the nice 3.0L in-line 6 for V6s, slightly firmer suspensions/underpinnings, somewhat less "thunk" in the door-closings, some paint colors, particularly black, getting at least some noticeable orange-peel (though other colors, in the Lexus tradition, remained mirror-smooth), Less-impressive wood trim inside, more plastic in the interiors, deletion of some formerly standard features like the first-aid kit in the trunk (on some models, it is now an option), deletion of standard body-side moldings, replacing real spare tires with temporary spares or donuts, an increasing reliance on dash-electronics, less sound-insulation on some models (not all), substitution of fake leather for the real stuff (though, to be honest, the NuLuxe substitute is excellent), lower-profile tires that didn't absorb bumps as well, and a general change in the way Lexus products were advertised and marketed....you didn't have the smooth-sounding "Mr. Lexus" James Sloyan ads any more. While some of this, of course, is subjective rather than fact, personally, I tend to prefer the way Lexus products were done before that period, rather than after it.

While the CT, in fact, did sell pretty well under the Lexus nameplate (one cannot deny that), I still stand by my earlier statements that I don't think it should have been marketed as a Lexus, but rather as a Toyota. Except for the nice NuLuxe upholstery, which was superb, I just did not think it had the refinement, road manners, and feel that a Lexus product needs...I feel, to some extent, the same way about the NX.
What did you find that improved?
Old 12-07-17, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My main issue has been interior rattles.
Old 12-07-17, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What did you find that improved?
What did I consider an improvement? That, of course, depends on what one consider an "improvement". In general, I liked the older Lexus models more than the newer ones, but several improvements did come about. One was more efficient, multi-gear transmissions for better gas mileage. Another was expansion of AWD-availability in the sedans for better winter traction. Another was the beautiful Matador Red paint. And, of course, the defect-rate in new Lexus vehicles dropping to what is arguably the lowest in the industry.

I'll agree with Steve, BTW, on the interior rattles. I forgot to list that earlier.
Old 12-07-17, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Technology and features have much improved as well, Lexus were always pretty lean cars when it came to features and by and large thats been addressed.
Old 12-07-17, 08:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would say color palettes for the interior, HP, hybrid availability, features, standard safety, style. Interior design, materials, wood material, leather are all better.

Quick Reply: If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.