Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 08:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What did I consider an improvement? That, of course, depends on what one consider an "improvement". In general, I liked the older Lexus models more than the newer ones, but several improvements did come about. One was more efficient, multi-gear transmissions for better gas mileage. Another was expansion of AWD-availability in the sedans for better winter traction. Another was the beautiful Matador Red paint. And, of course, the defect-rate in new Lexus vehicles dropping to what is arguably the lowest in the industry.

I'll agree with Steve, BTW, on the interior rattles. I forgot to list that earlier.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, lighter/thinner materials in the design, elimination of the nice 3.0L in-line 6 for V6s, slightly firmer suspensions/underpinnings, somewhat less "thunk" in the door-closings, some paint colors, particularly black, getting at least some noticeable orange-peel (though other colors, in the Lexus tradition, remained mirror-smooth), Less-impressive wood trim inside, more plastic in the interiors, deletion of some formerly standard features like the first-aid kit in the trunk (on some models, it is now an option), deletion of standard body-side moldings, replacing real spare tires with temporary spares or donuts, an increasing reliance on dash-electronics, less sound-insulation on some models (not all), substitution of fake leather for the real stuff (though, to be honest, the NuLuxe substitute is excellent), lower-profile tires that didn't absorb bumps as well, and a general change in the way Lexus products were advertised and marketed....you didn't have the smooth-sounding "Mr. Lexus" James Sloyan ads any more. While some of this, of course, is subjective rather than fact, personally, I tend to prefer the way Lexus products were done before that period, rather than after it.

While the CT, in fact, did sell pretty well under the Lexus nameplate (one cannot deny that), I still stand by my earlier statements that I don't think it should have been marketed as a Lexus, but rather as a Toyota. Except for the nice NuLuxe upholstery, which was superb, I just did not think it had the refinement, road manners, and feel that a Lexus product needs...I feel, to some extent, the same way about the NX.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-08-17, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would say color palettes for the interior, HP, hybrid availability, features, standard safety, style. Interior design, materials, wood material, leather are all better.
Areas where I disagree are materials, wood material and leather being better. IMHO these items were all better in my older Lexus cars than they are in similar new Lexus cars.

Example, my LS400 had real leather armrest, real leather gathered door inserts, very soft nappa level quality leather standard with no leather upgrade. Wood was thick and rich, when you looked at the edges of say the ashtray door they looked like hand cut and finished wood furniture. My 2003 ES had real leather center armrests, and very good quality leather almost the same as the LS. Wood was the same way. My LS430 was a UL, so it had a full stitched real leather lower dash, door panels, console, etc.

Compare my LS460, base leather nowhere near the quality of what was in the LS or even that 2003 ES. Semi-Aniline leather is still nice. Stitched imitation leather door panels, lower dash and imitation leather armrest. These areas are still imitation even in a UL LS460. I love the car but if I'm being honest, it just does not feel overall as high quality or well built inside as the LS400 or LS430 did.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-08-17 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Compare my LS460, base leather nowhere near the quality of what was in the LS or even that 2003 ES.
Now you're talking.

The only problem I can remember with those cars had nothing to do with leather...it was the sometimes quirky throttle-by-wire response and erratic shifting.
Old 12-08-17, 10:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the electronic throttle had a lot of lag. That was an issue to a lesser extent with my LS400 too.
Old 12-10-17, 09:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Areas where I disagree are materials, wood material and leather being better. IMHO these items were all better in my older Lexus cars than they are in similar new Lexus cars.

Example, my LS400 had real leather armrest, real leather gathered door inserts, very soft nappa level quality leather standard with no leather upgrade. Wood was thick and rich, when you looked at the edges of say the ashtray door they looked like hand cut and finished wood furniture. My 2003 ES had real leather center armrests, and very good quality leather almost the same as the LS. Wood was the same way. My LS430 was a UL, so it had a full stitched real leather lower dash, door panels, console, etc.

Compare my LS460, base leather nowhere near the quality of what was in the LS or even that 2003 ES. Semi-Aniline leather is still nice. Stitched imitation leather door panels, lower dash and imitation leather armrest. These areas are still imitation even in a UL LS460. I love the car but if I'm being honest, it just does not feel overall as high quality or well built inside as the LS400 or LS430 did.
I have no idea what year your LS400 was, but upon inception leather door inserts were not a standard item until 1993. Leather seats, shifter, door inserts, and console box were an option. So was a power telescoping steering wheel. Heated front seats.

Items like the roof, sun visors became fabric. Lumbar and vertical supports were added to the passenger seat in1993.

People can live in the past if they want, complain about trivial things, but the new models of Lexus are significantly superior vehicles than the early models.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-10-17 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-10-17, 10:04 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the plague of standard Nuluxe on a couple cars, Lexus interiors are better today than ever before. Material and build quality in the new LC and upcoming LS are out of this world and finally on-par with the best from Germany. The current LS is still a Toyota parts bin special in places.

The only exception I feel is the IS/RC. From the day photos were released I hated their boy racer designs. It doesn't look like a blend of luxury and sport like say an A4 or 3-series, it just looks ugly. My 2nd gen IS has a nicer looking interior with a more extensive use of wood, even though its build quality falls short of the current car.
Old 12-10-17, 10:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Aside from the plague of standard Nuluxe on a couple cars, Lexus interiors are better today than ever before. Material and build quality in the new LC and upcoming LS are out of this world and finally on-par with the best from Germany. The current LS is still a Toyota parts bin special in places.
Glad you agree. I am sure there will be some who can't get over the past.
Old 12-10-17, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have no idea what year your LS400 was, but upon inception leather door inserts were not a standard item until 1993. Leather seats, shifter, door inserts, and console box were an option. So was a power telescoping steering wheel. Heated front seats.

Items like the roof, sun visors became fabric. Lumbar and vertical supports were added to the passenger seat in1993.

People can live in the past if they want, complain about trivial things, but the new models of Lexus are significantly superior vehicles than the early models.
My LS400 was a 98. It’s in my signature. The LS400 we looked at in 1990 definitely had gathered leather inserts, I still have the brochure. Yes leather was an option, that was common at the time. Almost all LS400s had leather, power tilt wheel, etc. it’s very rare to see one that doesn’t.

Its not about living in the past. No doubt overall Lexus products are better today, however as someone who has owned many over many generations of Lexus cars they are not built as well or as solidly as they were in the 90s. They’re just not.

As much as I’ve enjoyed my Lexus cars, I feel very strongly this is likely my last Lexus. Competitors are just making more compelling products that tick the boxes better for me, and Lexus doesn’t excel at the build and quality compared to the competition anymore.
Old 12-10-17, 02:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

don't see a sig.
Old 12-10-17, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How weird is that?! No clue why my sig didn’t post lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-10-17 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
don't see a sig.
There are no signatures on mobile.
Old 12-10-17, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How weird is that?! No clue why my sig didn’t post lol

Don't worry, Steve......we all know what your sig is by now LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would think so lol
Old 12-10-17, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I would think so lol
I imagine pretty soon, it might be changing to SW18LS....or maybe SW18G90
Old 12-10-17, 03:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My 2nd Gen GS430 had terrible leather and was a higher end car then the ES330 of that era, especially the front seats, it was hard and plasticky and seemed to lack any qualities of nice leather, my parents Acura's had much nicer more supple leather. I tried everything to soften the leather up in my GS too but nothing worked, Leatherique, Leather Masters, Surflex, etc. The rear seats which were barely used were better but still not impressive at all. I can't imagine a LS460 having as bad or worse leather then my GS had.

Quick Reply: If you want a luxury or full-size American-badge sedan, consider one now.