Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus cheated me out of a replacement dash by not playing by their own rules...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17 | 05:34 PM
Tourbillon
Driver School Candidate

I tried the gentle approach when I contacted LOA but that didn't work; they (she) said that I should have had my vehicle inspected. So, I'll likely purchase one of those plastic dash covers and do whatever I can to call attention to the deceptive practices that Lexus uses for these types of recalls. I appreciate all of the comments from you guys and will post pictures of the dash cover once I purchase it. I'm hoping that it won't look as bad as the dashboard does now with places where small chunks of foam have fallen out.
Old 12-11-17 | 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Still can't see it. Maybe it's my phone.
You have an Apple Mac Safari computer, don't you? If you click on the image, you will see a small circle on the cursor with a (+) symbol on it.....click with that, and the image will be blown up further....you shouldn't have any trouble reading it.
Old 12-11-17 | 05:44 PM
Tourbillon
Driver School Candidate

One positive thing that I can say about Lexus, besides the obvious reliability, is that it is possible to obtain service information for their hybrids. German manufacturers like Porsche and BMW treat that information as top secrete resulting in independent repair shops refusing to work on German hybrids! A friend of mine has a Cayenne hybrid that was having 'hybrid faults' and the dealer insisted that the 'e-Machine', basically the electric motor, was shorting out because there was oil in it. I argued that oil does not conduct electricity but they not only insisted that was the problem, they said that they would only repair the car if she spent $10k to have the engine removed and possibly have the e-machine replaced for an additional $10k. With VERY limited hybrid electrical info, mostly from VW Touareg hybrid which uses the exact same hybrid battery and hybrid electrical system, I found the problem which was a bent female pin in the connector for the hybrid battery. The Porsche dealer knew that nobody would work on it so they feel like they can tell customers anything because they have a monopoly on repairing their hybrids. At least Lexus hasn't resorted to that kind of tactic!

Last edited by Tourbillon; 12-11-17 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-11-17 | 06:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tourbillon
I tried the gentle approach when I contacted LOA but that didn't work; they (she) said that I should have had my vehicle inspected. So, I'll likely purchase one of those plastic dash covers and do whatever I can to call attention to the deceptive practices that Lexus uses for these types of recalls. I appreciate all of the comments from you guys and will post pictures of the dash cover once I purchase it. I'm hoping that it won't look as bad as the dashboard does now with places where small chunks of foam have fallen out.
That's a very good solution. But you have to be careful about words. This is not a safety issue, but rather a cosmetic issue, so it's basically a TSB and a Warranty Enhancement Notice. As you have said correctly, Toyota was facing a class action on it so they resorted to this. It's not a recall.
Old 12-11-17 | 09:01 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

I have a 2006 RX400h / (WEN) stating that I had until Dec 31, 2017 to have it replaced.
Why do you think it is Dec 31, 2017 when WEN clearly states

May 31, 2017
or
10 years from the day of first use, in your case I am assuming expired sometimes in 2016.
Old 12-12-17 | 07:29 AM
Tourbillon
Driver School Candidate

The reason I thought the deadline was Dec 31 was because I glanced at a second WEN that I was sent and assumed that it was the notification that the part had become available and that WEN had the Dec 31 date. It was my mistake not to actually read that second WEN. My complaint is that the WEN about the dash recall stated that I would be notified when a replacement became available. I was told by LOA that I needed to have my vehicle inspected by a dealer in order to get on a list to be notified of part availability; something that is not mentioned on the WEN. I had my car in the Lexus body shop twice and asked about having the dash replaced while it was there but the part wasn't available and they didn't tell me that I needed to take it to the service department, which is a separate entity from the Lexus dealer's body shop, to have the car inspected. The multiple times I called after that I was told that the part wasn't available and to wait for a letter.
Old 12-12-17 | 07:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't read it but in glancing at the document, it seems the warranty expires 5/31/17, or 10 years after the vehicle went in-service, whichever is later. This sounds fair.

Is the issue that they don't have any parts, and so the warranty basically expired without any action on Lexus' part?
Old 12-12-17 | 08:55 AM
Tourbillon
Driver School Candidate

The issue is that every time I called the local Lexus' parts department to see if the part was available, they told me that it was not and to wait for a letter from LOA which is what the WEN said. I mistook another WEN for a notification that the part was available and that document had a 12/31/2017 date but when I actually read the document, it was a separate WEN for a brake actuator. My issue is that when I took my car into the dealer and when I called them, nobody informed me of the REQUIREMENT of having my vehicle inspected in order to get on a mailing list to get notified when the part became available. I'm pretty sure that I called about parts availability in Nov or Dec 2016 and it still wasn't available and was under the mistaken impression that I had until 12/31/2017 to get it replaced. I feel penalize for not having my vehicle serviced at the dealer which both LOA and the dealer's service dept. said would have automatically put me on the part waiting list to be notified. The dash recall is the result of a class action lawsuit so it is not unreasonable to believe that Lexus did what they could to limit the number of defective units they had to replace. They won't even discount the part for me to install myself which the local dealer has in stock!
Old 12-12-17 | 09:13 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

The name of the thread should be changed from "Lexus cheated me out" to " I fooled myself out" as I see that Lexus has done everything they could on their end.
Old 12-12-17 | 09:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

You might try posting this on the 2nd gen RX forum. There might be some owners who've had the replacement and can offer advice.
Old 12-12-17 | 09:36 AM
Tourbillon
Driver School Candidate

I'll probably get an OEM dash from the dealer for $803 (10%off) and install it myself but will wait to see if there is a year end parts special which is not uncommon. It was my mistake for relying on Lexus to notify me of the part becoming available like the WEN stated.
Old 12-12-17 | 09:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

My issue is that when I took my car into the dealer and when I called them, nobody informed me of the REQUIREMENT of having my vehicle inspected in order to get on a mailing list to get notified when the part became available. I'm pretty sure that I called about parts availability in Nov or Dec 2016 and it still wasn't available and was under the mistaken impression that I had until 12/31/2017 to get it replaced.
so when you took your car to the dealer, did you ask about dash replacement as part of the service? That’s where you should look to prove it was part of your service requests prior to warranty expiration.

Otherwise sorry but to me this sounds like you didn’t read the mail closely enough on requirements of you until after the due date, not a case of Lexus cheating you.
Old 12-12-17 | 10:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, because of the way customer service often goes nowadays, I can relate to the OPs frustration. From Lexus' point of view, it really shouldn't make any difference if there is an explanation--meaning, everybody was covered to 5/31/17. That's about 6 mos. ago. If the dealer led to misunderstanding or confusion, they should simply perform the correction now. End of story. It would be different if say it's June 2019, and the campaign were completed almost 2 years ago. My .02....

On my wife's car? I wanted something done under warranty, and they said first appt. Thu. I said yeah but I think our warranty expires Wed. They insisted Thu. is fine. I show up Thu. and the guy says oh ****, your warranty's expired. Before I could explode, he said don't worry, we'll handle it. And they did....
Old 12-12-17 | 05:33 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Warranty enhancement.. not a safety recall..

i hate to to say it.. but reader error..
Old 12-12-17 | 06:35 PM
Tourbillon
Driver School Candidate

Warranty enhancement due to class action lawsuit. The WEN said nothing about the requirement of having the vehicle inspected in order to get placed on the list to be notified when a replacement part would become available which in many cases was over a year after the initial WEN.

Quick Reply: Lexus cheated me out of a replacement dash by not playing by their own rules...