Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus cheated me out of a replacement dash by not playing by their own rules...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 03:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

BMW fudged it. And they got burned. They issued loaner cars often for months if not 1 year, over the Takata recall, and they still had to settle a class action. Some dealerships were ***** nilly and said, "Don't bring your car here, keep it at home."

OK, fine, but how do you know a person still owns the vehicle as you're issuing them a loaner, if you don't inspect it and document the time, date, mileage? So I do believe dealers sometimes do what they want to save time and labor on their end. Seems like based on the forum, they aren't so ***** nilly this time, as they are issuing loaners again over the blower motor recall. I've seen some people post dealer is keeping possession of cars whose owners were issued loaners.

Procedures need to have controls in place. But when a mfg ****** up, don't take it out on the customer, do the right thing.
Old 12-14-17, 08:20 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I received the first recall notice on cracked dashboard in 2014 and has received 3 notices. The 2nd & 3rd did mention to contact Lexus for availability. The dashboard crack on my 2006 rx400h has been there for awhile since 2011. I did mine in March 2017 along with the headlight recall. It does look like dealer inspection is required before they can order the part because they have to submit a report to Lexus. It did took two months for the Lexus dealer to get the part and replaced it in May 2017. They also have to get a tech from other place to do the work as the regular tech were not train on the dashboard replacement.
​​​​​​​
I think it also depend on dealer if they willing to do the replacement. I never had any service at this dealer except for recall but my experience has been good as they were all nice & smooth.
Old 12-14-17, 11:08 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're car is 11 years old, your're the 2nd/3rd owner, and you don't get your car serviced at the dealership. Yea, I'd tell you to take a hike, too.

Btw, I own a 2007 RX400h and my dashboard hasn't cracked yet.
Old 12-15-17, 06:45 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
You're car is 11 years old, your're the 2nd/3rd owner, and you don't get your car serviced at the dealership. Yea, I'd tell you to take a hike, too.

Even though he is not original owner Lexus didn't tell him to take a hike instead sent him a notice and asked him to come over for free dashboard replacement. OP neglected the invitation but wasted no time to come here and blame Lexus and dealer for his negligence.
Old 12-15-17, 06:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting way to deal with customers. Imagine if you had been in charge of the Takata fiasco. BMW and Honda didn't care how old your car was, you were notified and you got a free loaner until the fix was available. Honda was fast. BMW was in some instances 14 mos.
Old 12-15-17, 10:07 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Interesting way to deal with customers. Imagine if you had been in charge of the Takata fiasco. BMW and Honda didn't care how old your car was, you were notified and you got a free loaner until the fix was available. Honda was fast. BMW was in some instances 14 mos.
You are comparing cosmetic damage to something potentially that can cost you your life.

By the way Acura had a huge issue with cracked dashboards and if you weren't original owner Acura would event talk to you. Replacements were available only to loyal customers such as other newly purchased Hondas or Acuras in the family with a service history at the Honda dealers.

Just google Acura TL cracked dashboards and see for yourself.
Old 12-15-17, 10:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oldfart
You are comparing cosmetic damage to something potentially that can cost you your life.

By the way Acura had a huge issue with cracked dashboards and if you weren't original owner Acura would event talk to you. Replacements were available only to loyal customers such as other newly purchased Hondas or Acuras in the family with a service history at the Honda dealers.

Just google Acura TL cracked dashboards and see for yourself.
BMW is doing the same thing over a current recall related to the blower motor (hvac). As much as we can knock their products as no longer being sporty or head of the class etc., they seem to stand behind their products. My point is some are genuinely concerned about their blower motor being faulty (I'm not), and are getting loaner cars indefinitely while there is no fix. Telling somebody to take a hike is bad customer service imho.
Old 12-15-17, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

sometimes customers have unreasonable expectations, especially in this case where the OP didn't do what was requested to get the fix and then blames everyone else.
i learned a long time ago you can't please everyone. you have to live with an assessment that you made a good faith effort to 'make it right'.
Old 12-15-17, 11:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sometimes customers have unreasonable expectations, especially in this case where the OP didn't do what was requested to get the fix and then blames everyone else.
i learned a long time ago you can't please everyone. you have to live with an assessment that you made a good faith effort to 'make it right'.
I was at PATH in Jersey City, and I saw a woman with a stroller ask the PA cop where the elevator was. He told her to get lost. She said excuse me, he goes not my job. I was pretty shocked, so I chimed in. I am pro LE, but this guy was out of hand. Very likely having a terrible day, but nowadays, someone posts that on YouTube and you're done. I can't remember anybody telling me to take a hike. That's pretty rude, but regardless of the customer service situation, it wouldn't be the way to handle. my .02
Old 12-15-17, 12:11 PM
Phantom_89
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was unalbe to get my dash replaced as well. I did not hear about the replecements until after the deadline through this forum. I have a US model car but I am in Canada. I did not receive any notice. The Canadian dealers do not have this WEN at all so they are not willing to do it. The US dealers do not want to do it because my car is registered in Canada. The only way I can get it done is if a Canadian dealer calls thier US counterpart and has them agree to paying for the service. Even then I can only get it done if the parts are available.

None of the dealers are interested in going that far for me though.

Maybe if someone starts a class action again them in Canada it I'll be able to get it then.
Old 12-15-17, 01:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

So he should just be told to take a hike and inherit Lexus poor design flaw that is a major eyesore, will eventually make the car basically un sellable, and costs thousands to fix just because the car is older and he is not the first owner? I would hope and expect more from Lexus when it is not the buyers/owners fault the car has a major flaw that costs a fortune to fix.