Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2017 Hyundai Ioniq

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 12:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just wondering, where do you get that data point from (bold)?y.
Take a look at below. This is just a quick look up. Average transactions documents are difficult to find.

Old 12-16-17, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So I guess we are to conclude that Toyota or Honda has not improved themselves since the 80s and 90s?
In some ways, yes, in some ways no. Toyota and Lexus have pretty much maintained their position at or near the top of the reliability charts since then. But several Lexus owners, right here on Car Chat, have commented that they feel (and I generally agree) that overall Lexus build quality is not what it was in the 1990s and early 2000s.

As for Honda, they still screw their cars together at the factory like little Swiss Elves, and use quality materials on the surface, but, under the skin, reliability has declined noticeably on several of their models lately.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-16-17 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 02:12 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Image......some of it outdated. Toyotas and Lexus still scores quite well on reliability, but the competition has caught up (or surpassed) on much of everything else.

The public, in general, is not like us here on car forums....they don't keep up with the auto market. Many of them are either not aware of changes in recent designs, or, for other reasons, sometimes just walk around with their heads in the sand. There are people out there (and I'm not kidding) that think that Kia and Hyundai still make the junk they did in the 80s and 90s....and should be avoided. They have absolutely no idea of what is going on today. There are also people who think that Mercedes is still the most solidly-built car in the world, like it was back then.
Agreed, I assume in the Los Angeles area consumers are more open to Korean made vehicles because of all the aisians in CA
Old 12-16-17, 02:16 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

In some ways, yes, in some ways no. Toyota and Lexus have pretty much maintained their position at or near the top of the reliability charts since then. But several Lexus owners, right here on Car Chat, have commented that they feel (and I generally agree) that overall Lexus build quality is not what it was in the 1990s and early 2000s.

As for Honda, they still screw their cars together at the factory like little Swiss Elves, and use quality materials on the surface,
Especially in Ohio where their highest quality plant is located.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-16-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 02:31 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Ionic

I have driven all the current Prius's & Ionic's & agree with Marshall's detailed review. I particularly dislike the Prius sound system controls,particularly the volume button on the piano black control face. It is very hard to find while driving without fully diverting your attention from looking out the windshield. Prius seems more front end heavy causing excessive understeer.

The Ionic plugin Electric is enjoyable to drive with it's full charge range of approximetely 160 miles range (dependent upon driving style & terrain). I like the more conventional interior design & above average seats.
Old 12-16-17, 06:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

What surprised me is that there is no mention at all in this review of the "hybrids are not worth their extra cost just to save on fuel costs" argument, as there inevitably is when the Prius or other Toyota / Lexus hybrid vehicles are being discussed.

Regarding Hyundai, from where I sit, as a Canadian with only a passing interest in Korean automakers, it seems to me that Hyundai is still fighting the "Hyundai builds junk" perception.

Although Hyundai Canada offers a 5-year / 100,000 km (~62,000 miles) powertrain warranty, Hyundai USA still offers the seemingly impressive 10-year / 100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty. This was done initially in an effort to prove that Hyundai uses top-quality parts and components in its drivetrains. If Hyundai is now building top-quality product and the buying public believes that, there would no longer be a need to carry such a warranty.

And Hyundai Canada recently aired a series of controversial commercials known as "How Does Hyundai Do It?". In these commercials, a team of 3 men -- 1 supposedly German, 1 supposedly American and 1 supposedly Japanese -- break in to a Hyundai dealership after hours to take much closer looks at Hyundai products (crawling in and under cars). One of these men, representing some unnamed, non-Korean automaker, will compare some feature offered on the lower-priced Hyundai car to a higher-priced German, American or Japanese car and exclaim (in a terrible, yet-comical German, American or Japanese accent) "How does Hyundai do it?". The commercial, on the surface, is comical, but masks a terrible self-esteem problem. If Hyundai is now building top-quality product and the buying public believes that, Hyundai should be more confident about its products and would no longer have to try to prove that it is as good as German, American or Japanese automobiles; nor would it have to try to sell its cars at lower prices than its international competitors.

This all gives the impression that Hyundai still does not quite offer truly competitive product, and so must rely on long warranties and terrible commercials in an effort to prove that it is a truly internationally-competitive automaker.
Old 12-16-17, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
What surprised me is that there is no mention at all in this review of the "hybrids are not worth their extra cost just to save on fuel costs" argument, as there inevitably is when the Prius or other Toyota / Lexus hybrid vehicles are being discussed.
IMO, for me as a reviewer come up with a statement like that would be improper...that is a decision that a prospective buyer or leasee has to make for himself or herself. Also, consider the fact that Hybrid ownership can, in come cases, be more than simply a matter of gas-costs. Tax-benefits and HOV priviledges for special rush-hour commuting lanes sometimes go with it, depending on the jurisdiction.

Regarding Hyundai, from where I sit, as a Canadian with only a passing interest in Korean automakers, it seems to me that Hyundai is still fighting the "Hyundai builds junk" perception.
Being a Canadian does not change the fact that Hyundai and Kia produce vastly better vehicles now than they did 15-20 years ago. That is not something that stops (or changes) at a national border.

Although Hyundai Canada offers a 5-year / 100,000 km (~62,000 miles) powertrain warranty, Hyundai USA still offers the seemingly impressive 10-year / 100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty. This was done initially in an effort to prove that Hyundai uses top-quality parts and components in its drivetrains. If Hyundai is now building top-quality product and the buying public believes that, there would no longer be a need to carry such a warranty.
I disagree on at least part of that statement. There's an old saying....."Put up or shut up". Hyundai, with that warranty, has obviously decided to put up.

And Hyundai Canada recently aired a series of controversial commercials known as "How Does Hyundai Do It?". In these commercials, a team of 3 men -- 1 supposedly German, 1 supposedly American and 1 supposedly Japanese -- break in to a Hyundai dealership after hours to take much closer looks at Hyundai products (crawling in and under cars). One of these men, representing some unnamed, non-Korean automaker, will compare some feature offered on the lower-priced Hyundai car to a higher-priced German, American or Japanese car and exclaim (in a terrible, yet-comical German, American or Japanese accent) "How does Hyundai do it?". The commercial, on the surface, is comical, but masks a terrible self-esteem problem. If Hyundai is now building top-quality product and the buying public believes that, Hyundai should be more confident about its products and would no longer have to try to prove that it is as good as German, American or Japanese automobiles; nor would it have to try to sell its cars at lower prices than its international competitors.
Well, no arguments there. New-car ads, from both manufacturers and dealers, have been an insult to people's intelligence for decades. That's something that not even the Koreans are exempt from LOL.

This all gives the impression that Hyundai still does not quite offer truly competitive product, and so must rely on long warranties and terrible commercials in an effort to prove that it is a truly internationally-competitive automaker.
The proof is in the pudding. And you taste that pudding by actually going to Hyundai and Kia shops and sampling their products....not by looking at corny stuff on TV.
Old 12-16-17, 09:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Agreed, I assume in the Los Angeles area consumers are more open to Korean made vehicles because of all the aisians in CA
Glad you brought that up. I study auto demography, and have already checked this out. The bulk of those who buy Hyundais and Kias in L.A. are not Korean. There is a wide range of ethnicities grabbing them.
Old 12-16-17, 10:02 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
AWD4Mo - good feedback. do you still have the sportage and if not, what did you get instead?
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question bitkahuna..... I translated that Kia Sportage into a Subaru Crosstrek, which I enjoyed for 3 years, and just recently translated the Subaru into a 2014 Lexus IS250 awd, with which I am truly mesmerized.
Old 12-17-17, 03:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I study auto demography, and have already checked this out. The
Then you'll know that the SoCal/L.A. region is arguably the largest new-car market in the country, with the D.C. region, where I live, as second.
Old 12-17-17, 05:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The proof is in the pudding. And you taste that pudding by actually going to Hyundai and Kia shops and sampling their products....not by looking at corny stuff on TV.
But the proof is that Hyundai is not growing in the US, they are just not doing well in the US. Americans are not flocking to Hyundai as you seem to suggest, Americans are also not willing to pay the same money for Hyundai as they would a Toyota. Through October Hyundai brand was down 13% YTD and KIA was down 7% YTD in the US market. Hyundai is also down three spots on CR's reliability rankings. Toyota average readability is 80 while Hyundai is 59
Old 12-17-17, 05:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So what you are saying is that if this was a Prius or a Lexus hybrid, their would be discussion of how the hybrid component are not worth it?

I don't know if I would say "Hyundai builds junk" but I think Hyundai has the problem with "Why would I pay Toyota or Honda prices for a Hyundai"

Absolutely agree. No chance Hyundai would offer this warranty if they were showing growth in their sales and were perhaps leading the industry in reliability surveys. Just like how GM offers a longer powertrain warranty in miles compared to the Japanese.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-17-17 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 06:30 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the proof is that Hyundai is not growing in the US, they are just not doing well in the US. Americans are not flocking to Hyundai as you seem to suggest, Americans are also not willing to pay the same money for Hyundai as they would a Toyota. Through October Hyundai brand was down 13% YTD and KIA was down 7% YTD in the US market. Hyundai is also down three spots on CR's reliability rankings. Toyota average readability is 80 while Hyundai is 59
Part of the reason they are not growing is the lack of proper SUV portfolio. The Tuscon never really caught on, its only Santa Fe which does decent numbers. They seem have to invested heavily in Sedans, sub compacts /hybrids etc.

I was in the market for a compact sedan recently & ended up with the Elantra mainly due to the fact that if offered me all the features i was looking for at price which was lower than Corolla. IMO that is how majority of the people look at Hyundai /Kia vs. other brands like Toyota, Honda, Subaru etc.
Old 12-17-17, 06:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
P
I was in the market for a compact sedan recently & ended up with the Elantra mainly due to the fact that if offered me all the features i was looking for at price which was lower than Corolla. IMO that is how majority of the people look at Hyundai /Kia vs. other brands like Toyota, Honda, Subaru etc.
Thank you for sharing and being honest. Elantra starts at $13,450 while Corolla starts at $18,550. The loaded Elantra turbo is at $18,550 while you are just getting into a Corolla at that point. I have been saying a few times now that the prices for Hyundai and Toyota do not align.

Do you like your Elantra?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-17-17 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 06:53 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing and being honest. Elantra starts at $13,450 while Corolla starts at $18,550. The loaded Elantra turbo is at $18,550 while you are just getting into a Corolla at that point.

Do you like your Elantra?
Yes, i am very happy with it. All my previous cars have been Toyota's. My Elantra value edition (pretty well equipped) was cheaper to lease than Corolla LE which is one up from base. I suspect you will be able to find a better deal on a Ioniq than a Prius. In my case i didn't see any reason to pay more for a Corolla especially if you are leasing when long term reliability is not a priority.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2017 Hyundai Ioniq