Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 05:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Maxima?? Seriously??? If you put that then you gotta include Avalon, Lacrosse, and just about every other sedan

4-Series Gran Coupe, A5/S5 Sportback, would be some of the closest competitors for that RWD/AWD fastback styling of the Stinger.
New Buick Regal comes to mind for sure
Old 01-04-18, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Maxima?? Seriously??? If you put that then you gotta include Avalon, Lacrosse, and just about every other sedan
Gotta disagree, at least somewhat, on that one, Hoovey. The Maxima, IMO, can be considered a mild-core sport sedan, though, I'll admit, not quite to the same extent as the Stinger. Not so with the Avalon and Lacrosse...especially with the Lacrosse's standard 18" wheels. They are not designed for aggressive driving, but relatively easy, relaxed cruising, though both will corner decently well for that type of sedan. The Touring version of the Avalon, of course, has a slightly firmer suspension.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Yes, Thanks, I thought I had added the Regal GS...apparantly not. I'll do that now. The Regal, though, being FWD/AWD would probably compete a little closer to the Ford Fusion Sport and Taurus SHO than to the Stinger itself. But, yes, you have a point.

The non-GS versions of the Regal, though, are tilted a little more to the side of the family-sedan than to classic sport-sedan like the GS.

BTW.....on a sightly different note, what does this mean in your signature?

Cut the cord and cable free since 2008
You talking about cable TV? Fiber-optic phone lines? Wireless Internet? Cell phone?

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-18 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 05:39 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Yes, every review needs a Buick to compare against!
Old 01-04-18, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yes, every review needs a Buick to compare against!
Hey....gotta choose a high standard.

(Just kidding)
Old 01-04-18, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, Thanks, I thought I had added the Regal GS...apparantly not. I'll do that now. The Regal, though, being FWD/AWD would probably compete a little closer to the Ford Fusion Sport and Taurus SHO than to the Stinger itself. But, yes, you have a point.

The non-GS versions of the Regal, though, are tilted a little more to the side of the family-sedan than to classic sport-sedan like the GS.

BTW.....on a sightly different note, what does this mean in your signature?

You talking about cable TV? Fiber-optic phone lines? Wireless Internet? Cell phone?
Yes no cable subscription for me.
Old 01-04-18, 06:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta disagree, at least somewhat, on that one, Hoovey. The Maxima, IMO, can be considered a mild-core sport sedan, though, I'll admit, not quite to the same extent as the Stinger. Not so with the Avalon and Lacrosse...especially with the Lacrosse's standard 18" wheels. They are not designed for aggressive driving, but relatively easy, relaxed cruising, though both will corner decently well for that type of sedan. The Touring version of the Avalon, of course, has a slightly firmer suspension.
"In your opinion" doesn't make it 'Closest American Market Competitor'. The Stinger is sporty and premium. The Maxima has sporty intentions, but it's FWD with lots of torque steer. Wouldn't hold a candle to the Stinger.

The Stinger btw is 190.2 in length. The Charger, Taurus, and SS are 200 in, 202 in, and 195 in in total length respectively. So even those are 'literally' a stretch to say they compete.

Maybe start titling it [Marshalls Closest Competitors]

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: BMW 3-series, Audi A4/S4, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS300/350, Dodge Charger, Nissan Maxima, Mercedes C300/350, Ford Fusion Sport, Ford Taurus SHO, Chevrolet SS, Volvo S60, Buick Regal GS.
You're forgetting the XE S, Giulia, A5 Sportback, 4-Series Gran Coupe, VW CC.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 01-04-18 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

"In your opinion" doesn't make it 'Closest American Market Competitor'. The Stinger is sporty and premium. The Maxima has sporty intentions, but it's FWD with lots of torque steer. Wouldn't hold a candle to the Stinger.

The Stinger btw is 190.2 in length. The Charger, Taurus, and SS are 200 in, 202 in, and 195 in in total length respectively. So even those are 'literally' a stretch to say they compete.

Well, with all due respect...you're free to write your own review. Mine will stand.....though Jill was correct that the Regal GS should have been added.
Old 01-04-18, 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe start titling it [Marshalls Closest Competitors]

I really do not believe the Stonger competes with all those models. RWD or not RWD. Loaded Camry, Chargers, Loaded Honda Accords all compete with the lower trim and mid trim Stinger. Stinger is a difficult car to compare as the brand is a one off in the price point it is going after.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-04-18 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 06:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ No thanks. Just saying your wording
CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS
is opinion and not fact about the Stingers competition.

---

I really do not believe the Stonger competes with all those models. RWD or not RWD. Loaded Camry, Chargers, Loaded Honda Accords all compete with the lower trim and mid trim Stinger.
Well sure. Point is, what was listed.. might as well say Kia Stinger Competiton: Sedans
Old 01-04-18, 06:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^^ No thanks. Just saying your wording is opinion and not fact about the Stingers competition.

---

Well sure. Point is, what was listed.. might as well say Kia Stinger Competiton: Sedans
I see what you mean. The Genesis version competes properly with Lexus MB and BMW.
Old 01-04-18, 06:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Stinger is unique compared to the others. It's a RWD biased car and it's a hatchback. In real world driving the AWD is a valuable trait and that's what should make a difference for prospective buyers. It's nice to talk about Miatas or for that matter any pure sports car having RWD.

The problem with that is you're talking about two door sports cars on a short wheelbase with far less curb weight. Of course those cars going to be more balanced and have a direct communicative steering feel. That's why they're called sports cars and the Kia is called a GT or hatchback. In the real world, nobody is doing all out rally driving and tail out drifts. It's not a proper argument.

What happens when you lengthen the wheelbase and add weight on a vehicle? Is RWD the better drive train then? Not really. You are now talking about weight, momentum and physics. It's the reason Lexus offered AWD on the last generation LS and why it's offered on the 5LS. You need it for everyday driveability. The Stinger is longer than some of its competitors from Germany and it needs that extra interior room for practicality and that's why AWD is better for this car.
Old 01-04-18, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

The Genesis version ...
Which we haven't even seen...
competes properly with Lexus MB and BMW.
and audi, acura, infiniti, alfa, cadillac, ...
Old 01-04-18, 10:39 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The Stinger is unique compared to the others. It's a RWD biased car and it's a hatchback. In real world driving the AWD is a valuable trait and that's what should make a difference for prospective buyers. It's nice to talk about Miatas or for that matter any pure sports car having RWD.

The problem with that is you're talking about two door sports cars on a short wheelbase with far less curb weight. Of course those cars going to be more balanced and have a direct communicative steering feel. That's why they're called sports cars and the Kia is called a GT or hatchback. In the real world, nobody is doing all out rally driving and tail out drifts. It's not a proper argument.

What happens when you lengthen the wheelbase and add weight on a vehicle? Is RWD the better drive train then? Not really. You are now talking about weight, momentum and physics. It's the reason Lexus offered AWD on the last generation LS and why it's offered on the 5LS. You need it for everyday driveability. The Stinger is longer than some of its competitors from Germany and it needs that extra interior room for practicality and that's why AWD is better for this car.
And here I was thinking they were all going to AWD because of winter handling, since most of their sales are in countries and states which have lots of snow!
Oh well, I better go back to the drawing board and redefine that mid-engined 50-50 weight distribution thing!
Old 01-05-18, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^ No thanks. Just saying your wording is opinion and not fact about the Stingers competition.
No problem. I've always respected your opinion.....and your posts (still do). But, I also have mine....and IMO, the Maxima is probably the closest rival, in the American market, to the Stinger, that Nissan offers.

But, of course, I haven't done a formal Stinger test-drive yet. If I find anything on the test-drive that would make me change my mind, I will certainly do so.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger