Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 07:45 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No problem. I've always respected your opinion.....and your posts (still do). But, I also have mine....and IMO, the Maxima is probably the closest rival, in the American market, to the Stinger, that Nissan offers.

But, of course, I haven't done a formal Stinger test-drive yet. If I find anything on the test-drive that would make me change my mind, I will certainly do so.
But conversely, the closest rival in the American market, to the Maxima, that Kia offers, would be the Cadenza.
Old 01-05-18, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
But conversely, the closest rival in the American market, to the Maxima, that Kia offers, would be the Cadenza.
No, not IMO. The Cadenza is essentially an entry-level luxury sedan...along the lines of the Lincoln MKZ and Lexus ES350. The Maxima is a somewhat different animal......more sport-oriented.
Old 01-05-18, 08:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The Maxima does seems like a stretch as a Stinger competitor. Maybe one of the Red Sport sedans from Infiniti if you want to have something from the Nissan family, but clearly the A5 and 4 Series Grand Coupe are the direct target vehicles.
Old 01-05-18, 08:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

New Regal and Maxima, not even close to being considered when I bought the Stinger as they are family mid-size sedans first-and-foremost and not designed from the ground-up to be RWD-performance oriented sport sedans.

The one I most seriously considered, and IMO, the Stinger's closest competitor, was the S5 Sportback. It's an incrementally better car, and for perhaps 5-7K more I would have gone for it, but not the 25K premium (in Canada). Even a 2.0T A5 Quattro Sportback, similarly equipped is 8K more! No brainer for the Stinger if one can get over the badge!
Old 01-05-18, 08:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
New Regal and Maxima, not even close to being considered when I bought the Stinger as they are family mid-size sedans first-and-foremost and not designed from the ground-up to be RWD-performance oriented sport sedans.

The one I most seriously considered, and IMO, the Stinger's closest competitor, was the S5 Sportback. It's an incrementally better car, and for perhaps 5-7K more I would have gone for it, but not the 25K premium (in Canada). Even a 2.0T A5 Quattro Sportback, similarly equipped is 8K more! No brainer for the Stinger if one can get over the badge!

Did you actually price an A5 or S5 at a dealership...or just go with the factory Build-Your-Own prices on the web site?
Old 01-05-18, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

IMO, the Maxima is probably the closest rival, in the American market, to the Stinger, that Nissan offers.
that's like saying the toyota camry is the closest rival, in the American market, to the Stinger, that Toyota offers. while perhaps true, it's irrelevant as they're so different. the maxima is marketed as a sporty sedan but it's really anything but. reminds me of some fwd pontiacs of old, all flash, little substance.

No, not IMO. The Cadenza is essentially an entry-level luxury sedan...along the lines of the Lincoln MKZ and Lexus ES350. The Maxima is a somewhat different animal......more sport-oriented.
even if the maxima is more 'sport oriented' (about as much as a 'sport' in 'sport utility vehicle' imo ), the maxima is still entirely different than the stinger. i expect the stinger is smaller, less back seat room, but being rwd/awd and with the amazing ttv6 option, the stinger is more alfa giulio competitor than crapmaxima.
Old 01-05-18, 08:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Did you actually price an A5 or S5 at a dealership...or just go with the factory Build-Your-Own prices on the web site?

In person, after taxes (all-in) price difference. Very little negotiation on the S5, while a little more wiggle room on the A5. Due to the high price difference and the fact that I owned an A4 (similar car as we know), I didn't bother with a test drive and walked away. Remember, this is Canada we're talking about where the Stinger is aggressively (cheap) priced and not so much in the US where the price gap is far smaller with Audi and others. 52K USD for a GT2 AWD gets you into the German luxury cars similarly equipped (with their 4 cyls though) which makes the case to purchase a Stinger GT in the US a tougher sell personally.
Old 01-05-18, 08:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Maxima does seems like a stretch as a Stinger competitor. Maybe one of the Red Sport sedans from Infiniti if you want to have something from the Nissan family, but clearly the A5 and 4 Series Grand Coupe are the direct target vehicles.
These are the exact two vehicles (A5 Sportback - since it existed internationally in the last gen, and 4 Series Gran Coupe) that were benchmarked for the Stinger, even years ago when I was in Korea for initial product scoping/design reviews for the Stinger.
Old 01-05-18, 09:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Come on, bit. You yourself owned a RWD car with one of the best weight-distribution/balance on the road....a 50/50% Miata.
yes, but let me clarify... the miata is about being LIGHT WEIGHT with lower hp, somewhat like a lotus elise, and as you say, RWD is lighter than AWD so that makes sense. but when you get into higher horsepower, rear wheel traction becomes an issue with rwd. at the extreme you have a car like a viper, with tons of hp and rwd and it's a pig in terms of handling (rear spinouts). with previous mercedes amg coupes and sedans were rwd with higher and higher hp and they'd become good mostly for burnouts and drag races. now they're awd.

if i had a high hp car, awd would be a requirement.
Old 01-05-18, 09:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
These are the exact two vehicles (A5 Sportback - since it existed internationally in the last gen, and 4 Series Gran Coupe) that were benchmarked for the Stinger, even years ago when I was in Korea for initial product scoping/design reviews for the Stinger.
do you have the coolest job ever, or what?
Old 01-06-18, 06:50 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/kia/sti...ger-vs-audi-s5

Looks like a Kia achieved something Lexus would be proud of...
Old 01-06-18, 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/kia/sti...ger-vs-audi-s5

Looks like a Kia achieved something Lexus would be proud of...
Lexus sedans are really old. Wait till the next gen IS or GS emerges. Then we will see how good the Stinger is.
Old 01-06-18, 07:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus sedans are really old. Wait till the next gen IS or GS emerges. Then we will see how good the Stinger is.
How long will this wait be??
Old 01-06-18, 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
How long will this wait be??
Should be a few years I think. Maybe for 2019
Old 01-06-18, 07:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Should be a few years I think. Maybe for 2019
Well 2019 is only 1 year away now so maybe 2020 at least. And like you said, the is and gs now seem really old. Having said that i think the is350 is a wonderful DRIVING car (ironically what bmw has always been so lexus achieved something there!) but the design just isn't that strong imo. likewise the gs is a great driving car but it's just dated now in tech and value. going to be interesting to see what lexus comes up with. like others have said, i could see a 'sportback' design for gs, harkening back to the original giugaro gs300. New is and gs can't come soon enough.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger