Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 10:20 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most organizations, including MT, give their COTY award to the vehicles they think will make the most significant impact or contribution to the state of the auto market/auto industry. The Stinger, if nothing else, is the first serious Korean entry into the world of RWD/AWD sports-sedans (though, technically, it is a hatchback, not a sedan).

Personally, I would agree with the award myself, although the Hyundai Ioniq/Kia Niro (essentially the same car) may also be a contender as the first serious competitor to the Toyota Prius. The upcoming Opel-based Buick Regal Tour-X wagon also probably deserves some consideration as the first American-badged competitor, in quite some time, to the long-established Subaru Outback....the former Ford Freestyle was actually in a larger (full-size) class.
good to know! it's interesting that they would do that, and yes i could see why they would think it would have a significant impact and hopefully it does. it is unique being a relatively low priced 4-door RWD hatchback. the only other cars i can think of in that configuration are the tesla model s, bmw 4 door hatch, and panamera which are higher priced
Old 01-06-18, 12:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
BTW, anyone how did the stinger get to become the north american car of the year finalist, while the other finalists are the accord and camry?
because it's impressive and surprising, good looking, and great value?
Old 01-06-18, 01:15 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because it's impressive and surprising, good looking, and great value?
ok, the front half is. The back half is like an afterthought IMO. Maybe version two will blow me away.
Old 01-06-18, 01:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
ok, the front half is. The back half is like an afterthought IMO. Maybe version two will blow me away.
i think the rear is similar to a7, not surprisingly given the audi guy that went to kia. and i think the stinger looks better.

Old 01-06-18, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm guessing they're "butt-hurt" that they weren't selected as getting a Genesis branded dealer.

That's another quirk of the Genesis system of marketing. A Genesis franchise at a Hyundai shop only allows the place to sell and service the G80 (and, presumably, the upcoming G70). Only select Genesis shops are allowed to handle the G90.

It was the same way with Hyundai and Kia franchises...only certain ones were allowed to sell or service the Hyundai Equus or Kia K900. Why?...beats me, unless factors like the quality and training-level of technicians, customer-friendly facilities, availability of loaners, etc.... like that are taken into consideration.
Old 01-06-18, 03:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai/Genesis also looks at the demographics of the area in terms of income and competitive luxury brand dealerships nearby. I can see how some dealers who aren't getting a stand alone Genesis store are upset, but I think Hyundai is doing the right thing in not placing Genesis stores in areas that might not support the brand.
Old 01-06-18, 04:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the A7's back end styling better. Much more tauter styling. Kia looks nice too, but sort has that "big butt" look because of the hatchback/raised trunk look. Version 2.0 of the Kia is going to really give the Audi boys some fits, I'm sure.
Old 01-06-18, 05:52 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

I saw my first Stinger commercial on TV today.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-06-18 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-06-18, 06:14 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus sedans are really old. Wait till the next gen IS or GS emerges. Then we will see how good the Stinger is.
With the huge investment Kia were willing to make on the Stinger (and possibly other high achievers not yet announced), its likely they have planned for a mid term refresh that will blow the Euro competition. Looking at Lexus' recent track record....its not likely to worry them much.The Stinger appeals to me who moved from the Germans but was ultimately disappointed by Lexus's abdication of leadership, particularly in areas of performance, efficiency, infotainment and hybrids. The brand cache didn’t matter so much, or I won’t have moved over to Lexus in the first place. And window dressing through fast looking styling can only help that much when real performance is missing.

Last edited by webra; 01-06-18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Words left out.
Old 01-06-18, 06:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Looking at Lexus' recent track record....its not likely to worry them much.The Stinger appeals to me who moved from the Germans but was ultimately disappointed by Lexus's abdication of leadership, particularly in areas of performance, efficiency, infotainment and hybrids. The brand cache didn’t matter so much, or I won’t have moved in the first place. And window dressing through fast looking styling can only help that much.
Unfortunately, you couldn't have said it better and precisely reflects my sentiment and resulting action on the purchase of the Stinger.
Old 01-06-18, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

A Genesis franchise at a Hyundai shop only allows the place to sell and service the G80 (and, presumably, the upcoming G70). Only select Genesis shops are allowed to handle the G90.
You've mentioned this before and locally here at least, it's not true, so i'm not sure what you're basing it on.My local Hyundai dealer has plenty of g90s in stock.
Old 01-07-18, 12:34 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

like the k900, the stinger will probably sell in very low numbers.
Old 01-07-18, 03:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You've mentioned this before and locally here at least, it's not true, so i'm not sure what you're basing it on.My local Hyundai dealer has plenty of g90s in stock.
Here......this explains it in solid numbers.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...te-dealerships

Originally Posted by article
Genesis is accelerating forward plans to separate from the Hyundai dealership network. The brand, which began selling cars in August of 2016, can currently be sold in any of the 835 Hyundai dealers. That goes only for the G80 model, though, which used to be called the Hyundai Genesis. The G90, formerly the Hyundai Equus, is offered in 352 dealers, and each needs a showroom within a showroom.
Also, you can check it out for yourself on the Genesis Dealer Locator....you'll notice that there are two types....one for G80 only, and the other for both G80 and G90. Your local shop is (apparently) one that handles both of them.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesi...-location.html

Here, in the D.C. area, for whatever reason, all but one of the Hyundai/Genesis shops in Virginia suburbs where I live handle both the G80 and G90.....the ones across the river in Maryland are G80 only. That's why Steve (SW15LS......I guess now SW17LS) had to drive down to the big new Chantilly VA dealership (and that place is BIG) when he was checking out the G90.

As time goes on, of course, and the brand expands, more and more shops will probably get authorization to handle all of the brand's products...I suspect that will be the case, especially, with the GV80 SUV and the demand it will likely bring. The local Fairfax, VA shop, for example, just a few miles from my place, started out as a smaller, only-G80 franchise...now it handles both.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-07-18 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 08:44 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here......this explains it in solid numbers.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...te-dealerships

Also, you can check it out for yourself on the Genesis Dealer Locator....you'll notice that there are two types....one for G80 only, and the other for both G80 and G90. Your local shop is (apparently) one that handles both of them.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesi...-location.html

Here, in the D.C. area, for whatever reason, all but one of the Hyundai/Genesis shops in Virginia suburbs where I live handle both the G80 and G90.....the ones across the river in Maryland are G80 only. That's why Steve (SW15LS......I guess now SW17LS) had to drive down to the big new Chantilly VA dealership (and that place is BIG) when he was checking out the G90.

As time goes on, of course, and the brand expands, more and more shops will probably get authorization to handle all of the brand's products...I suspect that will be the case, especially, with the GV80 SUV and the demand it will likely bring. The local Fairfax, VA shop, for example, just a few miles from my place, started out as a smaller, only-G80 franchise...now it handles both.
You're mixing some old processes/numbers and not taking into account the changes. Yes, all Hyundai dealers, to date, were grandfathered in to selling the G80, because it was the Hyundai Genesis. Not every Hyundai dealer elected to make the changes required to sell the first Hyundai Equus. Then, as Genesis rolled out, similar Equus requirements were asked for G90 allocations. Again, not every dealer elected to do this.

Going forward, Genesis is splitting to independent shops, all of which will be required to make whatever necessary measures for the full Genesis lineup, including the coming crossovers. It's actually not going to be "more and more shops" they're actively whittling the number of dealers from the 300+ G80/G90 Hyundai shops today to target close to 100 or so. They realize that dealers need significant/substantial volume to reach profitability, and limiting sales points to key areas will allow each dealership to be successful, despite seemingly lower number of accessible touch points. For example, Lexus has ~240 dealers nationwide to sell roughly 300K cars per year. Hyundai/Genesis understands the need to start from the beginning and have happy dealers. Which much lower sales volumes until they can grow, they need much fewer, but dedicated retail outlets.
Old 01-07-18, 09:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Meeting a set benchmark is easy when you steal their engineers and reverse engineer their products. The true test is innovation.
If this were the norm, there'd be no difference between a Porsche, BMW, Audi, Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc. Stealing human capital does have a lot of bang for buck, however. We all must remember in B school learning about the colonel's secret recipe, or the recipe for coke. There isn't any one person who can produce it. So stealing one BMW engineer doesn't mean the entire car co. can be replicated.

I see where you're coming from, not even imho do the BMWs of the world innovate today, too expensive

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger