Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Pricing was the tipping point for me. If the Stinger was priced in Canada the way it was priced in the US relative to its competitors, I'd likely not be in a Stinger because yes, badge has a price.
It is nice to hear you are able to say that. It is a well know thing that people will pay for the badge.
Old 01-21-18, 11:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
nope, the guy is frequently off with his facts, and never offers a correction
easy to be a critic there Bo. and i've seen alex FREQUENTLY add title over corrections on the videos themselves and in comments.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not the biggest fan of the Alex reviews. They are too bloated with information, way too long and they need to be shortened up.
well since they're on youtube you can just fast forward of course. i do frequently and check out the A/B/C rankings on the various aspects of the review (ride, handling, seating, etc.). and if you don't care about the comparisons, skip that 5 minutes, etc. no biggie.

instead of the critics, i'd say we're so lucky to have in depth free video reviews of vehicles, it's awesome.

Would be interested to know if he is doing reviews with other legit publications or these are just test drives of a dealer car.
what does that mean doing reviews 'with other legit publications'? i'm sure he's done whatever it takes, dealers, manufacturers, press events for reviewers, etc. i know for one chunk of reviews it showed it was in conjunction with some other group. not even sure what "legit" means these days.

It is a well know thing that people will pay for the badge.
yup, vanity and snob appeal are real.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-21-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 12:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Pricing was the tipping point for me. If the Stinger was priced in Canada the way it was priced in the US relative to its competitors, I'd likely not be in a Stinger because yes, badge has a price.
of course... If Stinger diesel AT AWD drops in price like in should in germany, I might buy one in 2-3 years, maybe.
Old 01-21-18, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
easy to be a critic there Bo. and i've seen alex FREQUENTLY add title over corrections on the videos themselves and in comments.

well since they're on youtube you can just fast forward of course. i do frequently and check out the A/B/C rankings on the various aspects of the review (ride, handling, seating, etc.). and if you don't care about the comparisons, skip that 5 minutes, etc. no biggie.

instead of the critics, i'd say we're so lucky to have in depth free video reviews of vehicles, it's awesome.

what does that mean doing reviews 'with other legit publications'? i'm sure he's done whatever it takes, dealers, manufacturers, press events for reviewers, etc. i know for one chunk of reviews it showed it was in conjunction with some other group. not even sure what "legit" means these days.

When I say legit publications it has to do with ethics and credibility. For example, for myself, a review that is published on street date when an embargo lifts is subjective to less outside influence from other sources. The critique IMO gains extra weight as they are all being released simultaneously. If so and so comes along and publishes 30 or 60 days later, the review can very easily be influenced by what has been written and published previously. I also give extra weight to printed publishing vs just the Internet. My comments for this are based on all reviews such as movies, food, cars, or whatever.Consumer Reports is the biggest fraud IMO. Their reviews are custom tailored to their audience once all the legitimate publications have published months earlier

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-21-18 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I've read and seen a lot of Stinger reviews and no matter ones preference for the sources, they seem to be nearly unanimously positive. My guess is that it will sell very well in its segment. Even the reviled CR gives it thumbs up in the review I looked at.

Old 01-21-18, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've read and seen a lot of Stinger reviews and no matter ones preference for the sources, they seem to be nearly unanimously positive. My guess is that it will sell very well in its segment. Even the reviled CR gives it thumbs up in the review I looked at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z23ztuujxfA
Not sure if you are directing to me. I don’t think I have ever said the Stinger is a poorly done car on any way. I just don’t think the KIA brand can sell a car of this caliber to people. Most people will pay more for a real luxury brand.
Old 01-21-18, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Not sure if you are directing to me. I don’t think I have ever said the Stinger is a poorly done car on any way. I just don’t think the KIA brand can sell a car of this caliber to people. Most people will pay more for a real luxury brand.
Nope. Just getting back to talking about the car.
Old 01-21-18, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I am not the biggest fan of the Alex reviews. They are too bloated with information, way too long and they need to be shortened up.
The average new car used to have some 10,000 parts....might be closer to 20,000 with all of the added and mandated equipment today. There is no way you can do a really thorough review in just a couple of minutes. Yes, you can summarize.....but, to an extent, at least, the more you summarize, the more you compromise. I agree Alex is long-winded, but, unlike some of his colleagues, he at least takes his job seriously.
Old 01-22-18, 05:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I agree, you don't have to agree with the reviewers, but with video reviews, they are just so much more informative than regular written ones... With text, writer can write whatever they want and have their own little preferences you know nothing about... but with video you are seeing it with your own eyes, it makes it much more legitimate right away.

Plus there are at least 4-5 good ones, and watching all of them for particular vehicle will likely give you really good set of information that you need to know before getting into the showroom.
Old 01-22-18, 06:08 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol. There is so much amateurish camera/editing work meant to be consumed as cheap hamburger as a way of driving clicks, that you just shake your head with this stuff. The Stinger is a wonderful new vehicle, but when you watch reviews, you'll wonder: is this about some Youtube guy waving his arms and getting his gigantic hands/thumb into the shot with crude editing and sunglass-wearing "host"? Rule no. 1 - you don't wear sunglasses when the cam is on you if you want to connect with your audience.

The reason the so-called "bad guys" ie. CR are being yelled at is that they have pros working on their video/editing. It's the same with the other big outfits. This is less about Kia vs the new digital economy of upstart amateurs getting hold of vehicles and just doing pov and hand cam shots. Very poor production and editing. They cover it up with details and strange fingers and thumbs sticking into shots like your fat pale stuff needs to be in the picture. Bad.
Old 01-22-18, 06:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol. There is so much amateurish camera/editing work meant to be consumed as cheap hamburger as a way of driving clicks, that you just shake your head with this stuff. The Stinger is a wonderful new vehicle, but when you watch reviews, you'll wonder: is this about some Youtube guy waving his arms and getting his gigantic hands/thumb into the shot with crude editing and sunglass-wearing "host"? Rule no. 1 - you don't wear sunglasses when the cam is on you if you want to connect with your audience.

The reason the so-called "bad guys" ie. CR are being yelled at is that they have pros working on their video/editing. It's the same with the other big outfits. This is less about Kia vs the new digital economy of upstart amateurs getting hold of vehicles and just doing pov and hand cam shots. Very poor production and editing. They cover it up with details and strange fingers and thumbs sticking into shots like your fat pale stuff needs to be in the picture. Bad.
Alex in question has pretty good editing and provides way more information than CR videos ever will.
Old 01-22-18, 06:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Alex in question has pretty good editing and provides way more information than CR videos ever will.
In the television world and for that matter, the youtube online video world - Alex on Autos is a producer and scriptwriter. He just happens to be a producer/writer/host because, as I said, the online world is about leveraging clicks at the lowest possible cost. Doesn't mean it's the best product out there.

Alex needs an on cam host, and a video editor/producer. Unfortunately, he does not do well with on cam telegenic stuff. That's my point.
Old 01-22-18, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
In the television world and for that matter, the youtube online video world - Alex on Autos is a producer and scriptwriter. He just happens to be a producer/writer/host because, as I said, the online world is about leveraging clicks at the lowest possible cost. Doesn't mean it's the best product out there.

Alex needs an on cam host, and a video editor/producer. Unfortunately, he does not do well with on cam telegenic stuff. That's my point.

In a word, Alex reviews. He doesn't go in front of the camera to make a show of himself.
Old 01-22-18, 06:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z23ztuujxfA
Thanks for the find. I disagree with their claim on the stiff ride but agree with everything else including the premium quality interior - it's what impressed me the most about this car.
Old 01-22-18, 06:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In a word, Alex reviews. He doesn't go in front of the camera to make a show of himself.
I know right? I see your point.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Kia Stinger-a1.png   2018 Kia Stinger-a2.png   2018 Kia Stinger-a3.png   2018 Kia Stinger-a4.png  

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger