Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 07:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
In the television world and for that matter, the youtube online video world - Alex on Autos is a producer and scriptwriter. He just happens to be a producer/writer/host because, as I said, the online world is about leveraging clicks at the lowest possible cost. Doesn't mean it's the best product out there.

Alex needs an on cam host, and a video editor/producer. Unfortunately, he does not do well with on cam telegenic stuff. That's my point.
your problem with guys like Alex is that they are not part of some large company such as CR... but thats actually the good part about Alex and similar guys
CR does not review EVER vehicles as detailed in their videos, because they want you to buy their magazine.
Old 01-22-18, 07:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
your problem with guys like Alex is that they are not part of some large company such as CR... but thats actually the good part about Alex and similar guys
CR does not review EVER vehicles as detailed in their videos, because they want you to buy their magazine.
Alex on Autos Youtube 186K subscribers.

CR subscribers. 3.2 million digital. 7 million overall. And they've been at it for a long time. Alex is just a new media guy like all the others, nothing special about him. He's leveraging online video, that's about it.

Where does Alex on Autos get his vehicles? CR buys them like regular people.

Amateur stuff is nice and digital is the new way of doing things, doesn't mean it's better.
Old 01-22-18, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Lol. There is so much amateurish camera/editing work meant to be consumed as cheap hamburger as a way of driving clicks, that you just shake your head with this stuff. ... is this about some Youtube guy waving his arms and getting his gigantic hands/thumb into the shot with crude editing and sunglass-wearing "host"? Rule no. 1 - you don't wear sunglasses when the cam is on you if you want to connect with your audience.
if you think AoA is bad, check out this guy, sunglasses 'n all too.

The reason the so-called "bad guys" ie. CR are being yelled at is that they have pros working on their video/editing.
CR may have 'pros' doing video/editing, but they have total whiny dorks doing the reviews themselves.

Alex in question has pretty good editing and provides way more information than CR videos ever will.

I agree, you don't have to agree with the reviewers, but with video reviews, they are just so much more informative than regular written ones... With text, writer can write whatever they want and have their own little preferences you know nothing about... but with video you are seeing it with your own eyes, it makes it much more legitimate right away.

Plus there are at least 4-5 good ones, and watching all of them for particular vehicle will likely give you really good set of information that you need to know before getting into the showroom.

Alex on Autos Youtube 186K subscribers.
CR subscribers. 3.2 million digital. 7 million overall. And they've been at it for a long time.
cheap (and irrelevant) shot because alex doesn't review washing machines, air conditioners, hair dryers and other stuff.

Alex is just a new media guy like all the others, nothing special about him. He's leveraging online video, that's about it.
that's like saying snapchat is just a social sharing photo and video app.

Where does Alex on Autos get his vehicles? CR buys them like regular people.
i and most couldn't care less.

Amateur stuff is nice and digital is the new way of doing things, doesn't mean it's better.
everyone has to start somewhere and the automotive world is FAR, FAR better off because of these youtube pioneers.
Old 01-22-18, 08:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Aside from the usual suspects with the anti-CR bash. Here's the real point. I don't care where everybody "starts". I care about informative properly done PRO stuff. You don't need to be the big guys.

https://www.thebalance.com/tips-shoo...rapher-2315393

Snapchat? Huh?

http://fortune.com/2018/01/20/leaked-snap-memo/

Yet, the same crowd here loves the big stuff from big companies. Not too long ago it was all about the Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson and all of them. Pro stuff. Sunglasses here?

Old 01-22-18, 08:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Not too long ago it was all about the Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson and all of them.
Although there are some exceptions here and there, most of the time, Clarkson is not what I would call a legitimate reviewer. His style is just not conducive to serious analysis. Depending on what kind of mood he is in at any given moment, his style varies between that of an automotive entertainer and a clown.
Old 01-22-18, 10:20 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

At his best, Clarkson is a clown. I have never seen anything he did that had any data, just his screwball take. Alex, at least, provides data that is useful.
Old 01-23-18, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Clarkson just does opinion pieces. Funny though.
Old 01-23-18, 11:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I much prefer the YouTube reviewers rather than big companies.

Savagegeese does reviews that CR or other big companies can only dream of.
Old 01-23-18, 01:15 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I much prefer the YouTube reviewers rather than big companies.

Savagegeese does reviews that CR or other big companies can only dream of.
Savagegeese reviews are brilliant. His surly, grumpy mechanic guy has even grown on me.

Regarding the Stinger, I love it. Really hope the V8 model that's been speculated happens.
Old 01-23-18, 05:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
Savagegeese reviews are brilliant. His surly, grumpy mechanic guy has even grown on me.

Regarding the Stinger, I love it. Really hope the V8 model that's been speculated happens.
Agreed, much better camera tech and editing. You can see those guys really spend some money on trying to make their reviews look good but the on air presentation is also pretty good. But yeah, the Stinger is a very good placeholder for Kia right now even if it doesn't catch the attention of a core group of buyers in this market. Lots of possibilities with a rwd platform.
Old 01-23-18, 10:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, much better camera tech and editing.
you felt AoA reviews are too long, but Savagegeese reviews are often 30+ minutes... but i agree the camera work / editing is good but i think the guy is just trying way too hard to sound macho and cool.
Old 01-24-18, 01:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you felt AoA reviews are too long, but Savagegeese reviews are often 30+ minutes... but i agree the camera work / editing is good but i think the guy is just trying way too hard to sound macho and cool.
Macho?

SavageGeese reviews do sometimes get long-winded, as well. The LC 500 review was pretty long. However, his presentation is always really top-notch - great lighting, editing, and just generally well-placed shots.
Old 01-27-18, 06:11 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

55 seconds into the video...yikes!
Old 01-27-18, 06:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean
Yeah I saw that LOL. I wonder if Alex on Autos just spit out a bite of his second burrito. Verdict was to consider it.
Old 01-27-18, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah I saw that LOL. I wonder if Alex on Autos just spit out a bite of his second burrito.
If this guy had had his eyes and ears open when he did his earlier reviews, he would have seen that the upmarket German cars he was comparing the Stinger to have a lot of the same materials and construction inside....such as plastic on the glove box door and sometimes a slight wobble to the console. And it he had really had his eyes open, he would have noticed (like Alex did) how solid the interior plastics in the Stinger really were.
Sorry...Alex 1, Mat 0.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger