Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 08:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If this guy had had his eyes and ears open when he did his earlier reviews, he would have seen that the upmarket German cars he was comparing the Stinger to have a lot of the same materials and construction inside....such as plastic on the glove box door and sometimes a slight wobble to the console. And it he had really had his eyes open, he would have noticed (like Alex did) how solid the interior plastics in the Stinger really were.
Sorry...Alex 1, Mat 0.
This just reinforces that beauty is the eye of the beholder. The next guy might see it differently.
Old 01-27-18, 10:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This just reinforces that beauty is the eye of the beholder. The next guy might see it differently.
if everyone liked same cars, we would not have 40+ brands in the world .

Plus, this is why I love watching videos... differenting opinions. One guy was checking 2017 S class interior and he was knocking on drivers door, and said it felt like poor plastics there (and noise confirmed it)... cant really read that in any magazine.
Old 01-27-18, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean
55 seconds into the video...yikes!
thanks for the tease. for those who don't want to click the 'reviewer' shows the glove box is hard 'scratchy' plastics, the wheel center cover and the center console can be moved around some if manhandled.

the 'reviewer' also then goes on to plug his own website car finder/pricing to show an audi sportback is 'not much more' after (his website's) discount.

this guy is an 'establishment' guy who hates that an upstart (kia) might be disturbing the established order that overly confident middle-aged men should only want german sports sedans and coupes. it's certainly ironic that long after world war ii the brits worship so much that is german. heck the germans own rolls royce and bentley too... yet the brits still consider them thoroughly british.

Originally Posted by spwolf
if everyone liked same cars, we would not have 40+ brands in the world .

Plus, this is why I love watching videos... differenting opinions. One guy was checking 2017 S class interior and he was knocking on drivers door, and said it felt like poor plastics there (and noise confirmed it)... cant really read that in any magazine.
Old 01-27-18, 11:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qedwTyqZt_U&t=55s

My console is very solid. Nowhere near the flex he is showing. He looks like he is putting quite a bit of force which would result in the same thing with most any car. I just checked my RX and also has a bit of flex (and creaking) if one really wants to put pressure on it.

However, the Kia steering wheel cover is cheap hands down and I'll also add the paddle shifters (feel cheap) which I don't think he mentions. Everything else, he's grasping since I can slightly wiggle some ***** too in my RX like the Drive Mode Select, if you really are trying to. And when I had the '17 A4, the shifter did not feel very solid and precise when engaging into a gear and car had similarly lots of hard plastics in the lower portions of the dash console, etc. Each car will have its quibbles and those looking for them with an agenda will find them and point them out.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-27-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-27-18, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

according to this site the kia is also subject to a 10% tariff in the uk while of course the german competition isn't.
http://madb.europa.eu/madb/euTariffs...410&country=KR

i watched the whole video now and my conclusion is the reviewer is (to use a british expression) a ********.
Old 01-27-18, 12:01 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My console is very solid. Nowhere near the flex he is showing.
So you're saying that you still have "some" play in the console? You cannot be serious. I tried this with my 01 ES300 and that thing is build as solid as a tank. For a 50k car ANY play in the panels is simply unacceptable.
Old 01-27-18, 01:44 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qedwTyqZt_U&t=55s
As the old adage goes, "you get what you paid for ..."
Old 01-27-18, 01:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
So you're saying that you still have "some" play in the console? You cannot be serious. I tried this with my 01 ES300 and that thing is build as solid as a tank. For a 50k car ANY play in the panels is simply unacceptable.
About as much as I do with the RX which is to say minimal on force, and nothing if you lean your leg against it for example.
Old 01-27-18, 02:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
About as much as I do with the RX which is to say minimal on force, and nothing if you lean your leg against it for example.
You could pick any car apart in reality. I sat in the new Stinger on Thursday evening. Yes, the build quality is excellent and KIA did an excellent job. If you took off the badge you be hard pressed to know it was not a Mercedes Benz C-class. The center console was solid.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-27-18 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a pretty fair review:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...eds-seasoning/
Old 01-27-18, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You could pick any car apart in reality. I sat in the new Stinger on Thursday evening. Yes, the build quality is excellent and KIA did an excellent job. If you took off the badge you be hard pressed to know it was not a Mercedes Benz C-class. The center console was solid.

There's a reason why Kia won the latest J.D. Power IQS (Initial Quality Survey). Even the Opel-based Buicks, good as they are, aren't necessarily in the same league.
Old 01-27-18, 04:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's a reason why Kia won the latest J.D. Power IQS (Initial Quality Survey). Even the Opel-based Buicks, good as they are, aren't necessarily in the same league.
I don't believe Toyota has even dominated IQS studies in the past. They usually dominate dependable and reliability studies. Issue with JD is that the brands pay for the JD Power data. It is very flawed.

The latest JD Power dependability study:

Of the 18 segment awards bestowed by the study, Toyota-made nameplates account for 10. These include the Lexus ES, Lexus GS, Lexus RX, Toyota Avalon, Toyota Camry, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Toyota Prius, Toyota Prius V, Toyota Sienna, and Toyota Venza. The Toyota Camry has the lowest PP100 score industry-wide, and no other automaker has captured as many segment awards in one study. General Motors receives four segment awards, for the Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Sonic, Chevrolet Silverado HD, and Chevrolet Tahoe. Other models receiving segment awards in the study include the Ford F-150 and Honda Ridgeline pickup trucks, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class, and Volkswagen Tiguan.

No KIA, No Hyundai. No Buick.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-27-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 04:40 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I am looking forward to a comparison between the S5 Sportback and the GT AWD. I do believe that the S5 is the natural competitor of the stinger. Some would argue that the price reflects the A5 as the competition, but with my Audi discounts, I can come within 5 grand of this car. My coin would be on the Audi.
Old 01-27-18, 04:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta love those crazy Aussies. They've already been busy doing some dragstrip comparisons. The tale of the Stinger and the Stang at the dragstrip.

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-mus...arison-109840/
Old 01-27-18, 05:22 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
You gotta love those crazy Aussies. They've already been busy doing some dragstrip comparisons. The tale of the Stinger and the Stang at the dragstrip.

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-mus...arison-109840/

Very nice. The stinger is indeed fast.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger