Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 07:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another one. Stinger vs Corvette. Didn't realize that this car is already out and burning up dragstrips.

Old 01-28-18, 11:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You could pick any car apart in reality. I sat in the new Stinger on Thursday evening. Yes, the build quality is excellent and KIA did an excellent job. If you took off the badge you be hard pressed to know it was not a Mercedes Benz C-class. The center console was solid.
Exactly right!

Originally Posted by MattyG
Another one. Stinger vs Corvette. Didn't realize that this car is already out and burning up dragstrips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4HbfmjFkIY
12.6s 1/4 mile, not bad and actually better than the RC F.
Old 01-28-18, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You could pick any car apart in reality. I sat in the new Stinger on Thursday evening. Yes, the build quality is excellent and KIA did an excellent job. If you took off the badge you be hard pressed to know it was not a Mercedes Benz C-class. The center console was solid.

Sounds to me like you were trying to pick it apart until you actually went and saw it for yourself.

You'll notice that, with the Avalon, I don't (yet) have anything negative to say about the new 2019 version, except for the oversized bulldozer-grille and ski-ramp dash that I think are awkward-looking. Yes, I did have some negative comments to say about the 2013-2014 version (I'll admit that)...but that was not until after I had gone to see and test-drive it for myself. I made no negative comments on that car until I had actually seen it.

And it will be the same way with the new Avalon. No, from pictures, I don't like the grille (or, necessarily the ski-jump center dash)...but I'll save any further comments for a personal inspection. Any further comments, without doing that, IMO, would just be guesswork.

I did get to see the new Avalon at the D.C. show, but it was up on a turntable, and not accessible.
Old 01-28-18, 05:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sounds to me like you were trying to pick it apart until you actually went and saw it for yourself.

You'll notice that, with the Avalon, I don't (yet) have anything negative to say about the new 2019 version, except for the oversized bulldozer-grille and ski-ramp dash that I think are awkward-looking. Yes, I did have some negative comments to say about the 2013-2014 version (I'll admit that)...but that was not until after I had gone to see and test-drive it for myself. I made no negative comments on that car until I had actually seen it.

And it will be the same way with the new Avalon. No, from pictures, I don't like the grille (or, necessarily the ski-jump center dash)...but I'll save any further comments for a personal inspection. Any further comments, without doing that, IMO, would just be guesswork.

I did get to see the new Avalon at the D.C. show, but it was up on a turntable, and not accessible.
you should go back and check my posts. Don’t think I ever picked the Stinger apart. I just said it has no chance at selling well as it is too nice or good of a car for the KIA brand which is not on par with even Toyota or Honda. I still believe this. The KIA dealer and experience was pathetic.

As for the Avalon. Do what you like. Your comments on the Avalon are not consistent with professional publications and you come off as baiting with your consistent Avalon bashing. I firmly believe you pretty much really want one but won’t pull the trigger. But I will leave that one up to you.

I am going to stay on Stinger discussion. Engage me with Stinger Chat, Avalon already has a thread.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

you should go back and check my posts. Don’t think I ever picked the Stinger apart. I just said it has no chance at selling well as it is too nice or good of a car for the KIA brand which is not on par with even Toyota or Honda. I still believe this. The KIA dealer and experience was pathetic.

As for the Avalon. Do what you like. Your comments on the Avalon are not consistent with professional publications and you come off as baiting with your consistent Avalon bashing. I firmly believe you pretty much really want one but won’t pull the trigger. But I will leave that one up to you.

I am going to stay on Stinger discussion. Engage me with Stinger Chat, Avalon already has a thread.

Fair enough on the thread-topic. But you are simply wrong about my so-called Avalon-"bashing"....for reasons I've already explained. But your point on the topic is taken.....I agree, this is a Stinger thread, not an Avalon.
Old 01-29-18, 07:24 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

saw it at the Houston Auto Show, very nice car. Will be interesting to see how much further they can improve it and keep it at the price point
Old 01-29-18, 10:51 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven it.

It's fantastic, and deeply out of place in the Kia lineup--but if the Hyundai Group wants to get the most bang out of their bucks (wons??) they invested into developing this chassis for the Genesis family, I'm all for it.
Old 01-29-18, 11:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

I had some spare time today, so I stopped by my local Kia dealer. They had a lower end model in the showroom (~$37k sticker). I looked around and didn't see any sales people, which seemed weird to me. Maybe I should play the lotto today. I opened the door and sat inside. When I closed the door I was impressed by the solidness of it. I'm 6'4", so fitting comfortably is a sporty vehicle is usually a challenge. I was pleasantly surprised by how I was able to maneuver the seat to a very comfortable position. The materials in this base(ish) version were also impressive. I moved to the back seat on the passenger side and while I could fit, I doubt I could last more than an hour back there.

Still no sales people in sight, I went out to check out the three they had sitting in front of the place. Two were basically the same as the showroom model, but the third was a GT1 AWD. It was locked, so I just walked around it. It had a sticker of a little under $49k. I would probably prefer the GT2 with the Nappa leather, but that would shoot the price over $52k. Not a huge difference and it would come with a bunch of options not available on the GT1. If it drives as well as it looks, I can see this thing selling well once it gets a little warmer out. The badge may be a deterrent for some, but I've been around long enough to not worry about what others think of what brand I drive.

Now, I'm really looking forward to checking out the Genesis version at the auto show next month.

Old 01-29-18, 12:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I had some spare time today, so I stopped by my local Kia dealer. They had a lower end model in the showroom (~$37k sticker). I looked around and didn't see any sales people, which seemed weird to me. Maybe I should play the lotto today. I opened the door and sat inside. When I closed the door I was impressed by the solidness of it. I'm 6'4", so fitting comfortably is a sporty vehicle is usually a challenge. I was pleasantly surprised by how I was able to maneuver the seat to a very comfortable position. The materials in this base(ish) version were also impressive. I moved to the back seat on the passenger side and while I could fit, I doubt I could last more than an hour back there.

Still no sales people in sight, I went out to check out the three they had sitting in front of the place. Two were basically the same as the showroom model, but the third was a GT1 AWD. It was locked, so I just walked around it. It had a sticker of a little under $49k. I would probably prefer the GT2 with the Nappa leather, but that would shoot the price over $52k. Not a huge difference and it would come with a bunch of options not available on the GT1. If it drives as well as it looks, I can see this thing selling well once it gets a little warmer out. The badge may be a deterrent for some, but I've been around long enough to not worry about what others think of what brand I drive.

Now, I'm really looking forward to checking out the Genesis version at the auto show next month.

Thanks for the story. I am interested to know how the 4 cylinder does.
Old 01-29-18, 12:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Car and Driver just tested the 4 cylinder. Here are some tidbits:

The four-cylinder is rated at 255 horsepower, and its torque peak of 260 lb-ft hits at just 1400 rpm. It isn’t quite as smooth as some other turbocharged 2.0-liters out there and it doesn’t rev as high, topping out at a 6500-rpm redline, but the double-overhead-cam engine gets the job done, with a flat torque curve and a nice kick just over six grand.

The powertrain’s shortcoming is the eight-speed automatic transmission, which Hyundai/Kia designed and builds in house. It’s geared well for this package and its performance is satisfying around town, but play Lewis Hamilton on your favorite twisty road and the eight-speed is lethargic. Flicking the paddle shifters delivers an eventual gearchange, but they could be snappier.
At the test track, using the car’s launch-control system, the base-engine Stinger managed a zero-to-60-mph time of 6.1 seconds and a quarter-mile run of 14.7 seconds at 95 mph. That’s about 1.5 seconds slower than the all-wheel-drive Stinger GT in both tests yet 0.7 second quicker than the Optima Turbo with the same powerplant.

On the street, the 2.0-liter Stinger is responsive and quick. The four-cylinder does get a little raspy at the top of its rev range, but it’s no deal killer. And although our testing and evaluation was done on 91-octane premium fuel, Kia says the turbo four can get by drinking cheaper regular.

Unfortunately, it’s thirsty. The engine’s stop/start system is one of the smoothest around, so we rarely deactivated the feature. Still, we averaged just 19 mpg during two weeks of testing and mixed driving around Los Angeles; its EPA combined estimate is 24 mpg.
Someone at BMW should ask Kia how to tune steering. The Stinger’s electrically assisted system offers linear response and plenty of feedback and feel. At higher speeds the Stinger takes a stern set. It’s calm and cool even as it’s hitting the top-speed limiter at 132 mph. Its large four-wheel disc brakes—the front rotors are 12.6 inches and the rears measure 12.4 inches—are easy to modulate and resist fade when you’re hammering the Stinger down a fast and tight mountain road. At the track, it came to a halt from 70 mph in 182 feet.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...wd-test-review
Old 01-30-18, 05:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

a magazine recently did a test and hte Stinger GT AWD tied with the BMW 440 Grand Coupe Xdrive
Old 01-30-18, 11:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I wonder what these are selling for in the states. I got an e-quote on the one I looked at yesterday. They dropped ~$2.5k. I look at another dealer in the area and see that they add $1k to the price on all Stingers. I didn't ask for a quote, but thought that was odd.
Old 01-30-18, 11:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I wonder what these are selling for in the states. I got an e-quote on the one I looked at yesterday. They dropped ~$2.5k. I look at another dealer in the area and see that they add $1k to the price on all Stingers. I didn't ask for a quote, but thought that was odd.
Some dealers are insanely marking it up 10-15K!!
https://stingerforum.org/threads/the...iscussion.151/

Stinger is nice but not that nice.
Old 01-30-18, 12:11 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Some dealers are insanely marking it up 10-15K!!
https://stingerforum.org/threads/the...iscussion.151/

Stinger is nice but not that nice.
That's insane! The dealer that quoted me the $2.5k off, shows that they have 20 on hand. The other showed only 3. That probably has something to do with it.
Old 01-30-18, 12:19 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I saw a black one on the street with smaller wheels so i guess non-GT version and it did not look that great or stand out in anyway. So far the pricing i have seen is not aggressive enough for me to consider it any way as a worthy luxury competitor since at the end of the day you are still driving a Kia.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger