Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 05:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If I don’t end up keeping my GS, this is the front runner for a replacement vehicle.

I'm getting mine in the upcoming days, GT Limited (in Canada is loaded beyond GT2). Badge-stigma aside, the car is impressive beyond what Lexus (unfortunately) is offering these days.

Will report on it soon!
Old 12-29-17, 06:00 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
Looks like it beats the LC500 performance, let alone lesser Lexus models.
Old 12-29-17, 06:13 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I still just cant get past that name...
Old 12-29-17, 06:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Looks like it beats the LC500 performance, let alone lesser Lexus models.
Car and Driver says it is not a luxury car in their verdict. Just like I thought. People are going to rather buy are true luxury branded car. This new stinger reminds me of the Chevy SS
Old 12-29-17, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Car and Driver says it is not a luxury car in their verdict. Just like I thought. People are going to rather buy are true luxury branded car. This new stinger reminds me of the Chevy SS
Yes and no. The SS has a traditional large American V8. But you're right.....the Stinger, despite its nice leather seats and door panels inside, is not a luxury car IMO either. In fact, the dash looks a lot like an A3.
Old 12-29-17, 06:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...the Stinger, despite its nice leather seats and door panels inside, is not a luxury car IMO either. In fact, the dash looks a lot like an A3.
I would suspect the Stinger's cousin, the G70, will sit more on the luxury side of the spectrum.
Old 12-29-17, 08:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I would suspect the Stinger's cousin, the G70, will sit more on the luxury side of the spectrum.
That would make sense. I can’t see a KIA high performance sports model working. This new KIA is going to fail.
Old 12-29-17, 08:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Check your local dealer's web-sites for inventory. Stingers are just starting to drive now, although the ones officially listed on dealer-inventory sites aren't necessarily there yet.....dealers load them up on the sites sometimes when they order them. Sometimes they will be marked "In Transit"...other times, not.
I have a year left on my GS lease, so lots of time for inventory to build. I love my GS so I may just buy it out, but if I don’t, I’ll definitely consider a Stinger.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm getting mine in the upcoming days, GT Limited (in Canada is loaded beyond GT2). Badge-stigma aside, the car is impressive beyond what Lexus (unfortunately) is offering these days.

Will report on it soon!
Congrats! You replacing the IS?
Old 12-29-17, 09:50 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have a year left on my GS lease, so lots of time for inventory to build. I love my GS so I may just buy it out, but if I don’t, I’ll definitely consider a Stinger.
Congrats! You replacing the IS?
Thanks! IS and RC F. With the Stinger, I get the looks, 4 door practicality, and performance in one year-round package.
Old 12-29-17, 10:21 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks! IS and RC F. With the Stinger, I get the looks, 4 door practicality, and performance in one year-round package.
I wouldn't mind owning one, and to factor in Kia's now high reliability history, it really is a good bang for the buck. I think it will do better than expectations in sales.
Old 12-29-17, 02:58 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the Stinger as well and would highly consider it.

The practicality of a hatchback is great, but unlike an SUV, this thing drives and performs like a sport's car. It's a great mix that is hard to beat: four doors, hatchback and fast.
Old 12-29-17, 07:30 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That would make sense. I can’t see a KIA high performance sports model working. This new KIA is going to fail.
I don't know what you term "fail". The local KIA GM already thinks it is a great success. Not that they have sold so many, but for the floor traffic. Lots of people that would not have shopped KIA are now in looking. Sales are up in their other product lines.
Old 12-29-17, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I've already seen a couple on the road. By the looks of them non-gt's and they looked a bit plain.
Old 12-29-17, 08:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I don't know what you term "fail". The local KIA GM already thinks it is a great success. Not that they have sold so many, but for the floor traffic. Lots of people that would not have shopped KIA are now in looking. Sales are up in their other product lines.
I'm getting the sense that Kia never intended the Stinger to ever be a big time seller or profitable car model. It's really a showcase for what Hyundai/Kia can do when they put their minds to do something serious with style/performance/reliability. Absolutely, the $45-55K+ market is very crowded with pedigreed sports sedans and Kia didn't just decide to do this yesterday.

IMHO, the Stinger's job is to change public perception about an economy sedan maker which is easily past any past history or perception that people might have. Yes, this is a Lexus forum so you see people fussing about materials and nitpicks, without talking about price and reliability. Kia does have a way to go here, but the Stinger only has to accomplish one more thing from here on in: get people talking and showing up in the showroom.
Old 12-30-17, 07:07 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I like the Stinger as well and would highly consider it.

The practicality of a hatchback is great, but unlike an SUV, this thing drives and performs like a sport's car. It's a great mix that is hard to beat: four doors, hatchback and fast.
For those who would like a 4 series grand coupe, worried about reliability and disappointed with Lexus performance the Stinger scores a bulls eye. Of course there will always be class differentiation, but the Stinger convincingly compensates by being is faster than the LC.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger