Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Buick Enclave Avenir test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Are we talking about enclave?

No. The Enclave comes from the same platform as the Lacrosse. I was talking about the Regal.
I was replying to a reference to it, but can't find the initial post any more...perhaps it was deleted.

Did you get my later question about the red warning lights on the test-drive? (check post #15).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-17 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Aron that's not true (just fake wood and chrome for thousands) the Avenir has features like adapting suspension not available on lower trims. From Buick...
  • Avenir Technology Package is available on Avenir and includes Adaptive Full-Speed Cruise Control with Stop/Go, Front Automatic Braking, a Premium Suspension Package and Continuously Variable Real Time Damping
Old 12-21-17, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. ... I was talking about the Regal.
I was replying to a reference to it, but can't find the initial post any more...perhaps it was deleted.

Did you get my later question about the red warning lights on the test-drive? (check post #15).

yes there's no mention of regal in this thread which is why i was confused, besides it being completely irrelevant.
as for strange lights, no seemed fine to me.
Old 12-21-17, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So basically this Avenir thing is like the GMC Denali, a clever way to get you to pay a few thousand dollars more for a bit of chrome trim, big wheels, and fake wood. At least with the Denali you get the big 6.2 liter V8 vs the standard 5.3 V8 in your regular Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe/Silverado/Sierra. The Avenir line, looks like they're selling the same engines as the base models.
Apples and oranges. The GMC Yukon Denali is done on the Suburban's full-size RWD body-on-frame platform. The Enclave Avenir's smaller FWD platform, like that of the Lacrosse, was not designed for a V8. Buick simply does not offer anything in the Suburban/Yukon line.....perhaps by dictation from GM's upper management. Which, perhaps, makes sense. Most Buick buyers are not into towing heavy boats/trailers or carrying 8-9 people.
Old 12-21-17, 06:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Actually denali is a trim level not a model and the gmc acadia denali is similar size to enclave.
Old 12-21-17, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Actually denali is a trim level not a model and the gmc acadia denali is similar size to enclave.

OK...I thought he was referring to the big V8 Denali. You're right...there is a smaller Acadia Denali too. Yes....like the Avenir, it is a trim level.

Sorry, Aron, if I misunderstood your post.
Old 12-21-17, 07:03 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So basically this Avenir thing is like the GMC Denali, a clever way to get you to pay a few thousand dollars more for a bit of chrome trim, big wheels, and fake wood. At least with the Denali you get the big 6.2 liter V8 vs the standard 5.3 V8 in your regular Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe/Silverado/Sierra. The Avenir line, looks like they're selling the same engines as the base models.
Denali has been quite successful for GMC, in both share of sales and in resale value relative to the other trims. Denali doesn't always have an engine upgrade (I believe it only does for the Yukon line - It's optional for the Sierra). GMC is consistent in what Denali generally means. Good visual differentiation - grille, wheels, etc, luxury interior goodies. But it has taken a long time for it to take over 50% of GMC sales.

Jeep is starting to have similar success with "Overland" and "Trailhawk" for the various Jeep model lines.

Avenir is definitely trying to establish this for the Buick brand. Does it have enough differentiation and pop that consumers are looking for? Not sure yet.

High Country is the Chevrolet attempt.
Old 12-21-17, 07:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The Denali trim level has definitely established itself on GMC vehicles. I was surprised to see the Acadia outsells the Enclave by over 2 to 1 (YTD 100k +32% vs. 43k -10%). Buick needs the Avenir trim to catch on.
Old 12-21-17, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Denali trim level has definitely established itself on GMC vehicles. I was surprised to see the Acadia outsells the Enclave by over 2 to 1 (YTD 100k +32% vs. 43k -10%). Buick needs the Avenir trim to catch on.
The Denali trim is nice. I believe it was first to market back in 97 or 98? Kinda like a pebble beach edition Lexus. I remember the first Yukon Denali, such a cool idea. The came Escalade or perhaps they both came at the same time.I honestly doubt the Avenir trim will catch on. The Buick models are selling for 25% off on rebate, it tells me they are priced to high. So now they have another higher priced trim? And Buick was pretty much forced to lower the starting price of the LaCrosse out of the gate. Buick should of built that two door Abenir to help with the brand.
Old 12-21-17, 03:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Buick models are selling for 25% off on rebate, it tells me they are priced to high.
you keep throwing out that 'fact' when big discounts are likely only on end of year '17s and not '18s. plus i doubt gm is concerned since buick is a HUGE success in china.
Old 12-21-17, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

you keep throwing out that 'fact' when big discounts are likely only on end of year '17s and not '18s. plus i doubt gm is concerned since buick is a HUGE success in china.
Roughly 80% of total Buick sales come from China, where they absolutely love the nameplate. (I don't exactly hate it myself LOL). In fact, Buick offers some models there, such as the Holden-derived Park Avenue, that they don't here.

Here in America, of course, the small Encore SUV pretty much carries the brand's banner.

Old 12-21-17, 04:51 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Denali trim is nice. I believe it was first to market back in 97 or 98? Kinda like a pebble beach edition Lexus. I remember the first Yukon Denali, such a cool idea. The came Escalade or perhaps they both came at the same time.I honestly doubt the Avenir trim will catch on. The Buick models are selling for 25% off on rebate, it tells me they are priced to high. So now they have another higher priced trim? And Buick was pretty much forced to lower the starting price of the LaCrosse out of the gate. Buick should of built that two door Abenir to help with the brand.
it's actually a common GM practice, might be for other car manufacturers as well, but I worked for GM and know first hand that GM has a lot of back cash in their vehicles so they can "discount" them and make them appear like they are great deals, trust me the dealerships are still making at least 20% commission even with 25%-35% knocked off the price. Hell the GM trucks have rebates that "give back" as much as $18,000 on some models.

All vehicles are over priced, but GM is a master at it.
Old 12-21-17, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
All vehicles are over priced, but GM is a master at it.
I'd give that award to Mercedes.
Old 12-21-17, 05:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I respect your view on it, I'm going to disagree. I'm not a big fan of rain-sensors myself. First, if the sensors mess up during an automated car wash, it can cause real problems (some vehicles have an on/off switch for that to disable the system). Second, it's fine if the glass is otherwise clean, with only water droplets on it....it won't harm the glass. But, if, as with many windshields most of the time, you have got even small amounts of dust, dirt, salt, small tree/branch droppings, bird/insect-droppings, etc, on it, and then a few raindrops fall and trigger the sensors, those sensors will start rubbing and abrading the dirt and contaminents against the glass as the wipers start going back and forth. The result can be fine arc-shaped lines and scratches to appear in the glass...which gradually build up with time. That's also why it's important to replace wiper blades regularly, to have good rubber on the blades that has not deteriorated and become abrasive.
Having upscale features standard on an upscale car has nothing to do with whether you like those features. I almost never use my cruise control--should my BMW not come with it? Some people don't like sunroofs, and never open the shade--should a top of the line Buick not have a sunroof? Some people don't like heated seats--I could go on.

You don't like rain sensing wipers--no problem--turn them to off.
Old 12-21-17, 06:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, that Park Avenue interior is very nice. Gee, looks lexus like

Quick Reply: 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir test drive...