Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Buick Enclave Avenir test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I'll have to check one of these out myself...

Agreed on the rain sensing wipers. One of those features that a premium car must have in this day and age.
Old 12-21-17, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Having upscale features standard on an upscale car has nothing to do with whether you like those features. I almost never use my cruise control--should my BMW not come with it? Some people don't like sunroofs, and never open the shade--should a top of the line Buick not have a sunroof? Some people don't like heated seats--I could go on.

You don't like rain sensing wipers--no problem--turn them to off.
Fine. No problem....if there is a switch for it.
Old 12-21-17, 08:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Having upscale features standard on an upscale car has nothing to do with whether you like those features. I almost never use my cruise control--should my BMW not come with it? Some people don't like sunroofs, and never open the shade--should a top of the line Buick not have a sunroof? Some people don't like heated seats--I could go on.

You don't like rain sensing wipers--no problem--turn them to off.
I agree. I am seeing a theme with posts about not spending this or that for a specific item. I will say I think the 05-07 Avalon had rainsense wipers that had no off mode while in intermittent mode. But I have never seen a new car where you can't turn it off. I do agree with Marshall, it is not the greatest feature.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-22-17 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-22-17, 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you keep throwing out that 'fact' when big discounts are likely only on end of year '17s and not '18s. plus i doubt gm is concerned since buick is a HUGE success in china.
Big discounts? 25% is a huge discount. Never a good thing to sell a car with 25% on the hood. But yes, it is end of the model year but in the summer I do remember the LaCrosse was offered with 20% or 21% off midway through its first model year.
Old 12-22-17, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is just the way American cars are priced. $10k off my Pacifica no problem, $10k off a hot selling Grand Cherokee no problem. Big trunk money is just how they operate.
Old 12-22-17, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is just the way American cars are priced. $10k off my Pacifica no problem, $10k off a hot selling Grand Cherokee no problem. Big trunk money is just how they operate.
Big rebates have never been a good thing. It cheapens the brand and lowers the resale value. I think the Tundra is the only Toyota I have seen offer big rebates up to about 5K
Old 12-22-17, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good or bad, it’s just the way they are.
Old 12-22-17, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No offense, Steve, but personally, I don't think a fully-loaded Pacifica (or a fully-loaded Lacrosse, for that matter) is worth 48-50K to start with. And the Avenir version of the Enclave that bit looked at doesn't even start till almost 55K...not including destination. Plus, in my case (not sure about yours)...loaded vehicles like this usually have a bunch of features that I either don't want, don't need, can easily do without, don't see the sense of, or, for whatever reason, won't lose a minute's sleep at night by not having LOL. Of course, I admit I don't have a wife riding wth me, two kids in the back seat constantly wanting an infotainment system, or need devices to pay attention to the road for me which I, as a driver, should be doing myself. (that last comment about paying attention to the road was not meant to be rude or a barb at you personally...just to illustrate a point about a lot of today's distracted drivers)
Old 12-22-17, 07:48 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the issue really revolves around how the list price is set. Is it better strategy to set a $40,000 list with no discount or $50,000 list with margin to offer a $10,000 discount? I know lots of people who insist that they would never pay list price no matter how good a value it might be. In the end, the value of a car is what people will pay for it, not what the window sticker says it is worth.
Steve
Old 12-22-17, 10:52 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Big rebates have never been a good thing. It cheapens the brand and lowers the resale value.
This is one of the factors that drove GM into bankruptcy: GM would set a MSRP at the beginning of the model year but soon after would put a lot of money on the hood to move cars sitting on the lot, which subsequent buyers came to expect ("Why buy now? It will go on sale next month!").
Old 12-22-17, 11:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
This is one of the factors that drove GM into bankruptcy: GM would set a MSRP at the beginning of the model year but soon after would put a lot of money on the hood to move cars sitting on the lot, which subsequent buyers came to expect ("Why buy now? It will go on sale next month!").
Thanks for input. I remember after the recession or perhaps before it that GM was not gong to do this model going forward. Clearly they are back to their old ways. 25% rebates must be historically high.
Old 12-22-17, 01:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, Steve, but personally, I don't think a fully-loaded Pacifica (or a fully-loaded Lacrosse, for that matter) is worth 48-50K to start with. And the Avenir version of the Enclave that bit looked at doesn't even start till almost 55K...not including destination. Plus, in my case (not sure about yours)...loaded vehicles like this usually have a bunch of features that I either don't want, don't need, can easily do without, don't see the sense of, or, for whatever reason, won't lose a minute's sleep at night by not having LOL. Of course, I admit I don't have a wife riding wth me, two kids in the back seat constantly wanting an infotainment system, or need devices to pay attention to the road for me which I, as a driver, should be doing myself. (that last comment about paying attention to the road was not meant to be rude or a barb at you personally...just to illustrate a point about a lot of today's distracted drivers)
Thats exactly the point, it didn't cost $49,000...it cost $36,000. There were $6-7k in factory rebates ALONE. However, thats what loaded minivans cost, high 40s almost $50k. 50k is just not a huge sum to pay for a vehicle anymore.

Thats fine that you don't want certain options, thats why there are options. The issue is when you suggest that certain options need not exist just because you don't find value in them.

I do find it interesting though that you think a loaded Pacifica isn't worth $49k when you easily paid $7k+ more for your Lacrosse than you had to. You chose to pay extra for newer fluids, I chose to pay extra for options
Old 12-22-17, 03:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fine. No problem....if there is a switch for it.
As you said--the car wash can mess up rain sensing wipers. What cars don't allow you to turn them off? That would be a pretty moronic design.

I'm on my 3rd car with that feature; all have had OFF position.
Old 12-22-17, 03:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Every car I’ve had with them has an off position too.
Old 12-22-17, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thats exactly the point, it didn't cost $49,000...it cost $36,000. There were $6-7k in factory rebates ALONE. However, thats what loaded minivans cost, high 40s almost $50k. 50k is just not a huge sum to pay for a vehicle anymore.

Thats fine that you don't want certain options, thats why there are options. The issue is when you suggest that certain options need not exist just because you don't find value in them.

I do find it interesting though that you think a loaded Pacifica isn't worth $49k when you easily paid $7k+ more for your Lacrosse than you had to. You chose to pay extra for newer fluids, I chose to pay extra for options
No, it wasn't 7K, closer to 1-2K when all was over. And I got a vehicle with a significantly better transmission than the 2017s. And, like I said, I wouldn't have paid 48-50K for a Lacrosse either, no matter how loaded it was.

Quick Reply: 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir test drive...