Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford May Kill the Fusion in the US

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 07:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
It would be a difficult comparison for the upcoming MY2018 because Optima is on its current platform vs Camry on its brand new architecture. I think there's a subtle psychology with buyers maybe deciding to look at brand new platforms.

388K for MY 2016 and MY 2017, which is the outgoing car, looks to be closing in on 344K. Optima is 124K in 2016, and is sitting on 100K 2017 ytd. Quite lopsided.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...sales-figures/
The proof of whether or not Hyundai or KIA is on par with Toyota is with sale numbers, price points, resale, reliability indexes, and brand value. You would see a seismic shift of buyer habits if those who actually buy Toyotas were switchimg to Hyundai. Toyota is I think the #8 most valuable brand in the world in the top 10 with Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Coca Cola. I wonder where Hyundai is?
Old 12-20-17, 07:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's interesting is that the other thread about the Regal indicates that there will be a TourX AWD wagon coming to the US. Ford could have done this too with a Mondeo wagon as well as the hatchback. In Europe you have the Mondeo hatch and a wagon in AWD. And Ford has been touting their version of an Audi with what's casually being termed an "all road" version.

I'm not a big Ford fan but there is something to say about Fusion as a competitive car, but most of it's being saved for the European market.

Mondeo hatch.

Mondeo wagon
Old 12-20-17, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What's interesting is that the other thread about the Regal indicates that there will be a TourX AWD wagon coming to the US. Ford could have done this too with a Mondeo wagon as well as the hatchback. In Europe you have the Mondeo hatch and a wagon in AWD. And Ford has been touting their version of an Audi with what's casually being termed an "all road" version.

I'm not a big Ford fan but there is something to say about Fusion as a competitive car, but most of it's being saved for the European market.

Mondeo hatch.

Mondeo wagon
They gen could be different and have a different name. I doubt Ford will cancel it.
Old 12-20-17, 07:09 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The proof of whether or not Hyundai or KIA is on par with Toyota is with sale numbers, price points, resale, reliability indexes, and brand value. You would see a seismic shift of buyer habits if those who actually buy Toyotas were switchimg to Hyundai. Toyota is I think the #8 most valuable brand in the world in the top 10 with Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Coca Cola. I wonder where Hyundai is?
Well there's no doubt that in Canada Optima made a splash when it first came on market but lately the sales numbers are dismal. But I sure see a lot of Hyundai and Kia products around, so it's not necessarily a case of the entire line of vehicles languishing. Canada is basically a CUV market because of the concerns about winter belt driving in semi-rural areas which covers a huge chunk of the country.
Old 12-20-17, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well there's no doubt that in Canada Optima made a splash when it first came on market but lately the sales numbers are dismal. But I sure see a lot of Hyundai and Kia products around, so it's not necessarily a case of the entire line of vehicles languishing. Canada is basically a CUV market because of the concerns about winter belt driving in semi-rural areas which covers a huge chunk of the country.
No doubt Hyundai is doing better. But Toyota and Honda cars consistently command a higher price premium than their immediate competitors. A brand that could charge more than a Toyota is Volkswagen in some circumstances.

Do you see my point of view?
Old 12-20-17, 08:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No doubt Hyundai is doing better. But Toyota and Honda cars consistently command a higher price premium than their immediate competitors. A brand that could charge more than a Toyota is Volkswagen in some circumstances.

Do you see my point of view?
Yeah, that's what we can call the "Japan quality perception" premium. Consumers like to check out the go-to cars first when they start looking around for a new vehicle. There's no doubt that Accord and Camry have this vibe going on and its based on facts: they simply have well engineered durable cars that have been that way for a long time. My big worry about average transaction prices is more in relation to whether or not the US, or Canadian consumer who looks at such cars might not be able to afford this segment at some point.

For example, you can have a brand like FCA which has jumped in average transaction prices but I doubt they make better vehicles than Honda or Toyota. What's probably driving those numbers is Ram and Jeep sales numbers. As for Kia/Hyundai, I guess you can say that those are for the smart bargain shopper since you get a similar vehicle for thousands less.

In Canada it's the Civic that's been the traditional best seller is it not?
Old 12-20-17, 08:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, that's what we can call the "Japan quality perception" premium. Consumers like to check out the go-to cars first when they start looking around for a new vehicle. There's no doubt that Accord and Camry have this vibe going on and its based on facts: they simply have well engineered durable cars that have been that way for a long time. My big worry about average transaction prices is more in relation to whether or not the US, or Canadian consumer who looks at such cars might not be able to afford this segment at some point.

For example, you can have a brand like FCA which has jumped in average transaction prices but I doubt they make better vehicles than Honda or Toyota. What's probably driving those numbers is Ram and Jeep sales numbers. As for Kia/Hyundai, I guess you can say that those are for the smart bargain shopper since you get a similar vehicle for thousands less.

In Canada it's the Civic that's been the traditional best seller is it not?
I think Civic, Accord, Corolla, Camry, and Elantra are in the top 10. Gas and tax prices help determine that. And yes, a smart bargain shopper, but at some point Hyundai will have to come in line and try to charge the same prices as Toyota or Honda. It's about making money and as long as they change more, they make more. American cars I think have always had higher transactions than Toyota. Just started watching that recently. Interesting to note is that Cadillac has a higher transaction than Lexus.

Thanks for having a nice discussion about this.
Old 12-20-17, 09:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Ford may discontinue the Fusion name, but I doubt they are abandoning the midsize sedan. Maybe the current huge on the outside tight on the inside Taurus will die off and a new, smaller car under the Taurus name will replace both the large Taurus and the midsize Fusion.
Old 12-20-17, 10:18 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Ford may discontinue the Fusion name, but I doubt they are abandoning the midsize sedan. Maybe the current huge on the outside tight on the inside Taurus will die off and a new, smaller car under the Taurus name will replace both the large Taurus and the midsize Fusion.
The Lincoln Continental is on a stretched version of the Fusion platform, so a new Ford version is possible. The Fusion platform stretch for the Continental got rid of the big outside/small inside issue the plagued the MKS.
Old 12-21-17, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Lincoln Continental is on a stretched version of the Fusion platform
Yes, but only on a technicality. The Continental is actually on the Taurus platform, which, though still FWD, is slightly larger than the Fusion's.

, so a new Ford version is possible. The Fusion platform stretch for the Continental got rid of the big outside/small inside issue the plagued the MKS.
As I understand it, the MKS was also done on an (at that time) Taurus platform.
Old 12-21-17, 08:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

the term 'platform' is overused, abused, and basically irrelevant.
Old 12-21-17, 08:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the term 'platform' is overused, abused, and basically irrelevant.
Sort of agree. However, if Ford goes or might have already done it (I don't know) gone to a complete flexible platform like the new Lexus or Toyota platforms, then the cars don't need to sell as high in the number to be justified. When looking at the LS for example, you need to consider all sales off the platform to determine if the vehicle is successful.
Old 12-21-17, 09:34 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, but only on a technicality. The Continental is actually on the Taurus platform, which, though still FWD, is slightly larger than the Fusion's.

As I understand it, the MKS was also done on an (at that time) Taurus platform.
Not a technicality! The Continental is not on the Taurus platform although the MKS was. The Taurus platform started as a Volvo (S80 I believe) back when Ford owned Volvo. It was originally called the Five Hundred. Alan Mullaly had the name changed to Taurus when he took over. The Fusion is the European Mondeo platform which is much more space efficient and has better driving dynamics. The Continental is on a stretch version of the Fusion/Mondeo platform. There is a new Taurus in China that is on this new platform but it probably won't come here.
Steve
Old 12-21-17, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

'MAY' kill is the opportune word. Unless there's an official press release that says 'Fusion killed', Count me on the 'It's not going anywhere side'. I agree they could drop the Fusion name, but the Taurus is more likely to be discontinued of the two of them. The Fusion/Mondeo is a world car, Taurus is not. With AWD, Hybrid, Energi PHEV, Sport EcoBoost options, Ford certainly covered their bases when comparing the Fusion to any of it's competitors. Cadillac plans to consolidate their sedans, I can see Ford doing the same, but they won't abandon the Midsize/Large segment.
Old 12-21-17, 10:20 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ Good point. Ford is on target to sell over 200,000+ fusions this year alone. Although that number has dropped, that is still a huge number of cars! If they were truly going to kill the fusion, management is probably considering the time and resources to develop a brand new fusion. With all the mechanical design, ee hw, fw, sw, and new technology they are packing into cars nowadays, that is a huge number, where they could allocate for the trucks, suv's, mustangs etc not unless they want to create a more economical or basic midsize sedan