Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford May Kill the Fusion in the US

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Not a technicality! The Continental is not on the Taurus platform although the MKS was. The Taurus platform started as a Volvo (S80 I believe) back when Ford owned Volvo. It was originally called the Five Hundred. Alan Mullaly had the name changed to Taurus when he took over. The Fusion is the European Mondeo platform which is much more space efficient and has better driving dynamics. The Continental is on a stretch version of the Fusion/Mondeo platform. There is a new Taurus in China that is on this new platform but it probably won't come here.
Steve
Sorry, but you are incorrect when you state that it is not on the Taurus platform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Continental

The 2017 Lincoln Continental is a four-door sedan based on an extended-wheelbase version of the Ford CD4 platform shared with the seventh-generation Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKZ.
Old 12-21-17, 11:26 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike,
Your Wikipedia quote actually agrees with my point. The CD4 platform is the Fusion platform and also is used in the MKZ. The "7th gen." Taurus is, new China only car.
Steve
​​​​​​The tenth generation Continental is derived from the front-wheel drive Ford CD4 platform. Along with the seventh-generation Ford Taurus (currently sold only in China) and Lincoln MKZ, the Continental shares its chassis underpinnings with the Ford Fusion (Mondeo) but rides on a 5.7 in (145 mm) longer wheelbase. All-wheel drive is available as an option.

Last edited by oldcajun; 12-21-17 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add paragraph
Old 12-21-17, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Mike,
Your Wikipedia quote actually agrees with my point. The CD4 platform is the Fusion platform and also is used in the MKZ. The "7th gen." Taurus is, new China only car.
Steve
​​​​​​The tenth generation Continental is derived from the front-wheel drive Ford CD4 platform. Along with the seventh-generation Ford Taurus (currently sold only in China) and Lincoln MKZ, the Continental shares its chassis underpinnings with the Ford Fusion (Mondeo) but rides on a 5.7 in (145 mm) longer wheelbase. All-wheel drive is available as an option.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry, but you are incorrect when you state that it is not on the Taurus platform.

Oldcajun is correct and you are wrong. The current USA Fusion and current USA Taurus are not off the same platform.
Old 12-21-17, 12:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I figured the Taurus would go, it sells in smaller numbers but they will likely just combine the 2 for a new sedan. Taurus does have better name recognition, used to be one of the top selling sedans in the US when it was a mid sizer in the 80's. Still remember those matte black Taurus Robocop police cars.
Old 12-21-17, 12:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
. Taurus does have better name recognition, used to be one of the top selling sedans in the US when it was a mid sizer in the 80's. .
I disagree to some extent. Fusion sounds more interesting and the name is not associated with American crap from the 80s and 90s. I give GM some credit for staying away from names from the 80s and 90s for their Buick and Cadillac cars.

Originally Posted by UDel
. Still remember those matte black Taurus Robocop police cars.
Sure do. I remember the car would spark underneath every time it went up the ramp in the police parking garage
Old 12-21-17, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike,
Steve

OK...no sense arguing about it all afternoon. Apparently a misunderstanding on both our parts. I should have made clear whether we were talking about the American or Chinese Taurus. Anyhow, the American-market Taurus will probably soon be discontinued from low sales...so, right now, it is probably becoming a moot point.

And, back to the Fusion...I, for one, will be sorry to see it go. Not only do I think the Fusion itself is an excellent sedan, but it also gave us the latest-generation Lincoln MKZ....which I seriously considered when I bought my Lacrosse. I consider the MKZ and Lacrosse to be the two American Lexus ES350s.
Old 12-21-17, 05:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While the automotive press is no different in some respects than other MSM these days, jumping on every rumor and every whisper; there is some credibility to this report. Ford CEO James Hackett was asked a question quite directly about the Fusion's future. Ford had announced that the company won't build the Mondeo in Valencia, Spain and the Fusion in Hermosillo, Mexico.

An auto press writer asked Hackett if there was a need for the Fusion in Ford's future, he answered "I'm giving you a hint". This came after Ford said that it has no plans to import China-built Mondeos/Fusions into Europe and the US.

Now Ford could be lying to its suppliers and the auto media, or it's cagey about what the Fusion's replacement will be. This CEO has signalled he wants to cut $14B from Ford's bottom line and simplify operations and cut down model offerings etc.

Last edited by MattyG; 12-21-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-21-17, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
While the automotive press is no different in some respects than other MSM these days, jumping on every rumor and every whisper; there is some credibility to this report. Ford CEO James Hackett was asked a question quite directly about the Fusion's future. Ford had announced that the company won't build the Mondeo in Valencia, Spain and the Fusion in Hermosillo, Mexico.

An auto press writer asked Hackett if there was a need for the Fusion in Ford's future, he answered "I'm giving you a hint". This came after Ford said that it has no plans to import China-built Mondeos/Fusions into Europe and the US.

Now Ford could be lying to its suppliers and the auto media, or it's cagey about what the Fusion's replacement will be. This CEO has signalled he wants to cut $14B from Ford's bottom line and simplify operations and cut down model offerings etc.

Classic double-talk from auto executives. Might as well be Hillary talking about her E-mail LOL.
Old 12-22-17, 08:05 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if the Fusion is killed that Ford would move the Focus upmarket a bit to fill the slot. Honda's upgrade of the Civic, for example, has the Civic outselling the Accord and being viewed as a viable family car not just a compact.
Old 12-22-17, 11:04 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if the Fusion is killed that Ford would move the Focus upmarket a bit to fill the slot. Honda's upgrade of the Civic, for example, has the Civic outselling the Accord and being viewed as a viable family car not just a compact.
Repeat of history: The introduction of the large Ford Five Hundred (subsequently renamed Taurus) opened up space below it for a new mid-size model, which saw the introduction of the Ford Fusion. Now the slot-filler is going to be killed off?
Old 12-22-17, 11:35 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Along with the cost of development of a new fusion, is the profit margin on a fusion that low/minimal? I know it's a highly competitive segment, but it appears Ford is offering a thousands of $$ of cash incentives yielding a lower profit margin.
Old 12-22-17, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, the rather unimpressive Focus would have to move considerably upmarket to be as nice a car as the Fusion. Kind of like a 6th-grade basketball player trying to fill the shoes of Le Bron James.
Old 12-22-17, 04:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

That logic only works until one looks at how successful and well the Accord sells. There's a huge need and roll the Accord fills, and the numbers prove it. There's no reason why Ford can't do the same with the Fusion.
Bottom line, it's lack of design talent and poor company decisions. Not that the Fusion is bad, but as I stated earlier, it's lingered on too long without an update. The competition has moved forward, Ford has not. This whole thing is similar to what Chyrsler has done with their compact and mid-sized sedans. These companies will lie and BS us all with their excuses and reasons as to why they want to drop cars, but the real truth is incompetence.
Old 12-22-17, 04:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Again this is typical BS from Ford and being lazy, cheap etc.

The new Fusion would share its platform/engines etc with a CUV anyway so its not like they need to develop some unique platform for it.

Midsize segment is HUGE not only in US but globally.
Unless they have some pure EV car hiding somewhere this makes no sense.
Old 12-22-17, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That logic only works until one looks at how successful and well the Accord sells. There's a huge need and roll the Accord fills, and the numbers prove it. There's no reason why Ford can't do the same with the Fusion.
Bottom line, it's lack of design talent and poor company decisions. Not that the Fusion is bad, but as I stated earlier, it's lingered on too long without an update. The competition has moved forward, Ford has not. This whole thing is similar to what Chyrsler has done with their compact and mid-sized sedans. These companies will lie and BS us all with their excuses and reasons as to why they want to drop cars, but the real truth is incompetence.
2013 debuted a new 2nd generation, and 2017 saw a facelift which added new front and rear end styling, rotary controlled automatic transmission, new trims, and the performance Sport model which featured the first time a V6 was offered on a second generation.