Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford May Kill the Fusion in the US

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 04:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
2013 debuted a new 2nd generation, and 2017 saw a facelift which added new front and rear end styling, rotary controlled automatic transmission, new trims, and the performance Sport model which featured the first time a V6 was offered on a second generation.
I don't know how it's selling but I've always thought the Fusion Sport was intriguing.. It got some good reviews too.
Old 12-22-17, 05:02 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Automakers don't like to disclose corporate secrets about profit margins in vehicles, but Ford is getting a $1200 per car net cost advantage on the Mexico built Fusions according to the Center for Automotive Research (so 8% according to the article quoted below in the Motley Fool). The problem is that, compared to its competitors the Fusion still is slightly higher in average transaction price. Just enough to matter on pricing. And that doesn't even cover the scenerio if say Trump were to carry through with a threat on tariffs on Mexico production vehicles.

Interestingly enough, the Michigan factory that made Fusions, now makes Continentals - and those are not doing bad at all in sales numbers. The rest of the Ford factories in the USA are plumb busy building very profitable trucks and SUVs. So with the drive to simplify and cut costs as well as the move to lower margin electrics, it leaves the Fusion's future up in the air.

...For a while, Ford built Fusions for the U.S. market in two factories, one in Michigan and one in Mexico. Not everything is cheaper in Mexico: Labor and locally made parts cost less, but some other things (including shipping to U.S. dealers) cost more. Overall, CAR estimated that the Fusions built in Mexico cost Ford $1,200 less per car than the ones built in Michigan. That difference in cost is profit for Ford -- or looked at another way, it's margin that Ford can use to price the Fusion more aggressively, as it is doing now. At the moment, competition in the Fusion's segment (midsize sedans) is fierce. The Fusion's average transaction price is about $22,500 right now, according to J.D. Power data made available to The Motley Fool. That's still higher than the average of the Fusion's competitors (about $21,800), reflecting Ford's pricing discipline and the fact that the Fusion was recently revamped.

But Ford probably isn't making a ton of money on Fusions at that price, even Mexican-built ones. Profit margins on individual products are closely held secrets, but we can estimate that Ford's overall profit margin on the Fusion is probably around 8% right now, or in the neighborhood of $1,800 per car. (Its profit margins on smaller vehicles are almost certainly thinner.) A 35% tariff would add an average of $7,875 per car, leaving Ford deep in the hole. Ford can't just pass that on to consumers, because the Fusion competes (fiercely) with vehicles made in the U.S. and elsewhere. Even adding a few thousand dollars to its price would drop it out of consideration for a lot of potential buyers. So, why can't Ford just live with the $1,200-per-car cost disadvantage and make those Fusions in the U.S.?

The short answer is that Ford doesn't have room: Most of Ford's U.S. factories, and those of its rivals, are running near full capacity. Most are making (more profitable) trucks, SUVs, or luxury vehicles. (Ford no longer makes Fusions in Michigan; that assembly line now builds more-profitable Lincoln Continentals instead.) If Ford was forced to build Fusions in the U.S., it would have to build a new factory. But here's the thing about auto factories: They cost a lot of money no matter how busy they are, and the market for new cars is cyclical. It can cost a billion dollars or more to build a new auto factory -- but that's just the beginning. The industry rule of thumb is that an auto factory becomes profitable when it's at or over 80% of "capacity," which in the industry's lingo means two shifts working five days a week. Most of Ford's (and GM's and Fiat Chrysler's) U.S. factories are at or above capacity right now because the U.S. new-car market is very strong. That's why Detroit's profit margins in North America have been so high.
Source

Last edited by MattyG; 12-22-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 06:43 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Fusion, like the Legacy, offered AWD....so did the Buick Regal. The Malibu, though, does not. Neither does any of the other American-market sedans in this class.
I think that the Fusion is less competitive because it's fuel economy numbers (non-hybrid) are so weak. I doubt that the Fusion is going anywhere and the next iteration will feature the new 9 speed auto, giving the efficiency boost that is needed.
Old 12-23-17, 08:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think that the Fusion is less competitive because it's fuel economy numbers (non-hybrid) are so weak. I doubt that the Fusion is going anywhere and the next iteration will feature the new 9 speed auto, giving the efficiency boost that is needed.

Hey.....welcome back. Haven't seen you post in Car Chat for quite some time. I guess you saw the thread on the upcoming Subaru Ascent.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Fusion (assuming it and the MKZ are not discontinued) get that new 9-speed....perhaps even the Continental. I have that transmission in my new 2018 Buick Lacrosse (it was joint-developed by GM and Ford)...and I've been very pleased with the gas-mileage, though it doesn't have enough miles on it to gauge potential reliability.
Old 01-03-18, 02:41 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AutoBlog

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/03/...design-fusion/

Ford Fusion redesign cancelled amid declining car sales

Sales of the Fusion have fallen 21 percent, but Ford will keep the nameplate for at least a few more years.

Sven GustafsonJan 3rd 2018 at 12:55PM
There are new twists in the saga of the Ford Fusion, but the long-term future of the Blue Oval's best-selling car remains unclear. The Detroit News got a hold of a letter sent to suppliers in November in which Ford says it is canceling a planned North American redesign for a 2020 Fusion, though that doesn't necessarily mean the nameplate will go away.

The Detroit News, citing an unnamed source, also reports that the Fusion and Mondeo, its overseas sibling sedan, will remain part of the Ford stable for at least 3 or 4 years. It published a statement from Ford spokesman Mike Levine saying that the "Fusion remains an important part of the Ford lineup for years to come with even more new fresh features on the way. We will have more news to share in the future."

Sales have been falling for the Fusion and cars in general for Ford, which, like other automakers, is adjusting to a shift in consumer preferences toward crossovers, SUVs and pickups. CEO Jim Hackett has been working to shift the product lineup accordingly and cut production costs.

The company on Wednesday reported that U.S. sales of the Fusion fell 21.1 percent in 2017 to 209,623 units, the 3rd straight year of declining sales for the sedan. Including the Lincoln brand, Ford sold 595,390 cars last year, a 14.2-percent drop from 2016, while sales of SUVs and trucks both rose year over year to more than 1.99 million on the strength of models like the F-150 and the redesigned 2018 Expedition.

What a future Fusion could look like, if it does indeed survive, is open to interpretation. As we've recently written, the Fusion has suffered amid comparatively wider profit margins for crossovers and stronger competition from the newly redesigned Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. It should be noted, though, that the cancellation of a redesign doesn't preclude the sort of heavy refresh Ford has frequently undertaken in the past in lieu of full model redo.

Adding to the uncertainty is Ford's decision to move production of the Fusion and Mondeo to China from plants in Mexico and Spain in 2020 while saying it won't export those China-built cars to the United States.

Old 01-03-18, 09:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd say look for whatever sedan they are selling in China in a couple of years to come over to the US. I also think that means it will be built in China as well.

Of course that's the American way, the profit of the corporation is paramount. Bribe the government for favorable regulations that stifle competition(internet service and cell phone providers), bribe the government for lucrative trade deals with 3rd world countries that pay slave wages, move production offshore, the only thing that really matters is the stock and bond shareholders, **** everybody else who has a stake in the company like American Ford workers, domestic suppliers and their workforce.
Old 01-04-18, 08:28 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

so, it's confirmed-no R&D for a new fusion. I remember the first gen fusion shared the same chassis and engine as the 03-08 mazda6. I'm curious to know what ford has planned? another joint venture for a mid-size sedan? improved Taurus? enlarged focus?
Old 01-04-18, 08:48 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They need to kill non luxury sedans. If you gonna drive a daily drive an suv.
Old 01-04-18, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
They need to kill non luxury sedans. If you gonna drive a daily drive an suv.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands in the American market that (still) buy Camrys and Accords each year LOL.
Old 01-04-18, 09:58 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands in the American market that (still) buy Camrys and Accords each year LOL.
I think even those cars can be used as a weekend car. They just make them so nice nowadays.

But for the most part, non luxury sedans are dying out at a steady rate. Suvs just make for a better daily driver/work car.
Old 01-04-18, 03:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
I think even those cars can be used as a weekend car. They just make them so nice nowadays.

But for the most part, non luxury sedans are dying out at a steady rate. Suvs just make for a better daily driver/work car.
They don't to everyone, plenty of people buy sedans, no reason to kill any product line. Let people choose what they want.
Old 01-04-18, 03:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Even if they 'get rid of the Fusion', they're likely just consolidating the sedan portfolio. My guess is the next Fiesta and Focus would become larger and the Fusion/Mondeo and the next Taurus would become a two'fer like Acura did with the TL and TSX = TLX

Maybe they'll call it the Faurus
Old 01-04-18, 03:45 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ Or are they making way for a Mustang Gran Coupe?? The renderings look very interesting:

I see a lot of Mustangs rolling around here in socal
Old 01-04-18, 03:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ hah what is that?! Looks like a Mustang and a Charger had a baby.
Old 01-04-18, 04:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the "no updates" apply to the Mondeo also? I cannot believe that Ford would not update the consistently highly-rated Mondeo.