Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 06:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
The only person I know that has owned an RDX, owned two in a row. Last year, she traded it in and picked up a Macan. Some people move up.
Macan is not moving up by any means. It's a tradeoff between common sense and reasoning in engineering (RDX) to ultra-premium badged CUV that emulates tight driving experience. And that's about all you can get in Macan.
Old 06-01-18, 07:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Macan is not moving up by any means.
It is if you consider badge prestige and cost.
Old 06-01-18, 07:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
It is if you consider badge prestige and cost.
Isn't the Macan based on the Q5 which is based on the VW Toureg or whatever the smaller thing is called?
Old 06-01-18, 10:00 AM
kagete
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad the HUD isn't available on the A Spec as the chromed-out look of the Advance really ruins the look.

I'm a permanent convert to Android Auto and I don't see manufacturers catching up easily. Google Maps with live traffic and reroute suggestions plus integration with your mail, calendar, and contacts make for a great combo that no manufacturer can possible compete with as there likely never will be BMVmail or LexusMail and captive phone ecosystem offerings from car manufacturers.

The most underappreciated aspect of Android Auto is that it has the absolute best voice recognition out of any car or software manufacturer. I have no doubt that they will continue to lead in this field as well for the next 5 to 10 years. Having excellent voice recognition makes for much safer driving and really opens up your options for interaction with your vehicle. You wouldn't need to take your eyes off the road or fiddle with a touchpad or **** too.
Old 06-01-18, 10:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tom Voelk Review (spoiler alert--he likes it...a lot):

Old 06-01-18, 11:33 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Macan is not moving up by any means. It's a tradeoff between common sense and reasoning in engineering (RDX) to ultra-premium badged CUV that emulates tight driving experience. And that's about all you can get in Macan.
Macan is "moving up". No one would realistically compare a Porsche Macan to an Acura RDX. They aren't even on the same-level, to be honest.

Originally Posted by kagete
Too bad the HUD isn't available on the A Spec as the chromed-out look of the Advance really ruins the look.

I'm a permanent convert to Android Auto and I don't see manufacturers catching up easily. Google Maps with live traffic and reroute suggestions plus integration with your mail, calendar, and contacts make for a great combo that no manufacturer can possible compete with as there likely never will be BMVmail or LexusMail and captive phone ecosystem offerings from car manufacturers.

The most underappreciated aspect of Android Auto is that it has the absolute best voice recognition out of any car or software manufacturer. I have no doubt that they will continue to lead in this field as well for the next 5 to 10 years. Having excellent voice recognition makes for much safer driving and really opens up your options for interaction with your vehicle. You wouldn't need to take your eyes off the road or fiddle with a touchpad or **** too.
+1 Agreed on the HUD comment. It sucks the A-Spec don't have HUD. The A-Spec is hands down the better looking car. All of the A-Specs look better than their Advance models. The Advance models are just down right ugly - same thing for the TLX Advance. The chrome strip on the door is dumb idea.

Google Maps is legit good. Its one of the best maps out there. But - I still maintain - Android Car Play can never replacement a good car infotainment system. IE: I would never use Google Maps/Android Car Play over MMI Virtual Cockpit. And I have yet to meet an Audi owner that will. Similarity - no BMW owner would use Apple Car Play over iDrive. Apple maps is just garbage.

A lot of cars are starting to offer Amazon Alexa - which in my opinion, is better than Google's voice assist.
Old 06-01-18, 11:43 AM
Noble8626
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Yes. Like I said before, the RDX A-Spec features unique to itself just like the NX has features unique to itself. But still the NX will top off with more features by listing them out.

LED Rear Turn Signals
Power folded rear seats ($400 optional extra - probably you didn't package it)
Hands-free tailgate
Memory steering wheel
Power Tilt steering wheel (RDX is manual tilt)
360 Camera (Only Advance Pack for RDX - we are comparing A-Spec to F-Sport)
Power-folding mirrors (on 18 models)
Improved sound damping
Adaptive Suspensions
Amazon Alexa
Sub-Free weather/traffic
10-Year Comp Lexus Enform (Acura has 12 month comp for security and 6 months for remote/concierge)
Misc:
Hybrid option
Better badge
Better resale value
Lexus is known to have better built quality than Acura
Made in Japan - more import feel (Acura made in Ohio)

That isn't even a complete list - its what I can pull up on short-notice. This is what I mean when the NX300 F-Sport still has the edge over the RDX A-Spec - not the Advance Pack RDX.

No - you can't assume that getting a A-Spec or F-Sport that the person is looking for a "Sporty experience". The A-Spec and F-Sport are both appearance packages. It doesn't do jack to the car's performance. It probably makes it worst - especially these performance packages give you bigger and heavier rims because "sport".
According to Redline Reviews - who drove Advance Pack and A-Spec - the A-Spec doesn't change much of the cars character in terms of handling. He said it just feels more stiff/ride is a bit rougher and that's about it. <--- That could be because of the lower profile tires.

Yes - I'm well aware that the F-Sport will swing pass into 50K mark with all the features I listed. You can adjust the price difference to the fact that the NX F-Sport has a "Lexus" badge on it and its made in Japan while the Acura RDX A-Spec is not made in Japan and its an "Acura" badge. (Badge is important in this case because Lexus is internationally sold while Acura isn't. My friend's relatives in Europe didn't even know what an "Acura" was. I feel like this is important because if you are paying upwards of 40K for a car - people should know what you drive.) The price difference is justified. My point is the: NX300 F-Sport is a better car than the RDX A-Spec - not the Advance pack.
Just a few comments from the NX features/options you listed:

LED Rear Turn Signals (sure, I agree it sucks the RDX doesn't have them but probably not a huge deal to the majority of non-enthusiast buyers as they are labeled in this thread. Probably holding off to add them for its mid-cycle refresh.)
Hands-free tailgate (optional on the NX, not standard equipment, standard on Advance)
Memory steering wheel
360 Camera (Only Advance Pack for RDX - we are comparing A-Spec to F-Sport) (optional on the NX, not standard equipment, standard on Advance)
Improved sound damping (sure, although most can agree the NX needed it. It was criticized heavily for having a relatively noisy cabin that was uncharacteristic for a Lexus vehicle. Judging from AoA and Redline reviews, Acura focused heavily on sound isolation with this redesign which they noted and I wouldn't be surprised if the RDX has a quieter cabin than the refreshed NX under all driving conditions.)
Adaptive Suspensions (optional on the NX, not standard equipment, standard on Advance)
Amazon Alexa
Sub-Free weather/traffic (beginning with the Tech trim and up, I believe I saw the RDX has some traffic tracking program but I don't have any further details on what it is or if it's sub-free)
10-Year Comp Lexus Enform (Acura has 12 month comp for security and 6 months for remote/concierge)
Misc:
Hybrid option
Better badge (I agree)
Better resale value (perhaps, but it also varies model to model and I'd be curious to see how this trends now that the new RDX is released)
Lexus is known to have better built quality than Acura (which has definitely been the case before, but don't forget that this isn't the same Acura from a decade ago. This is the first redesign where Acura is pushing to reinvent itself. The entire car was benchmarked and built to a higher standard than any car they've developed in the past decade aside from the NSX.)
Made in Japan - more import feel (Acura made in Ohio) (I agree, I'm annoyed this isn't built in Japan too)

I would agree that the NX F-Sport is more customizable than the RDX A-Spec but once you start adding those extra options you're well over the price of an RDX Advance trim which has most of these options as standard equipment and still kept under $50k. I'm also not convinced that buyers who are interested in A-Spec or F-Sport trims do not consider driving performance characteristics in their buying decision, especially when you consider that F-Sport trims in higher tier Lexus vehicles roll in equipment and performance tuning that enhances the vehicles driving dynamics. And we both know Lexus doesn't make a considerable effort in highlighting that distinction of "appearance vs functional" F-Sport trims between their lower and higher tier cars because they want you to think you're getting a more dynamic car when you opt for it no matter what car you buy. A quote taken directly from the Lexus website on the 2018 NX F-Sport:

"The NX F SPORT features exclusive front and rear performance dampers and a suspension tuned for optimized performance. For even more dynamic handling, an available Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) features 650 levels of damping that can automatically adapt to changing conditions, for enhanced response based on the selected drive mode."

Whether that means they made one screw tighter than the non-F-Sport is irrelevant, the fact is it's different from the standard NX suspension and so they can market that it has enhanced driving dynamics. I'm aware the A-Spec for the RDX is an appearance package but, to the non-enthusiast buyer as stated here, I don't think it's seen that way by the majority of buyers. When my mom purchased her NX, she was apprehensive to getting the F-Sport because she thought it would be too sporty riding based on the aggressive way it looks alone. While I'm not generalizing and saying my mom makes up the majority of buyers, she does fall into the category of a non-enthusiast.

And if we're going to list features of the NX, it's only fair to do the same for the RDX (only focusing on the guts of the car, not features/options that are widely similar across the entire segment):

More Horsepower
More Torque
Better handling in SH-AWD trim
Better interior materials w/ real aluminum and leather (and most likely fit and finish, remember that the new RDX was built to a higher standard than their past vehicles, this is Acura reinvented)
Better premium sound system
More rear cargo space (RDX = 58.9 ft vs NX = 54.6 ft)
Class leading cabin space
Class leading rear seat legroom

I'm sure most of us can agree that the 2nd-gen RDX was not class competitive in any area other than its powertrain and given that, it still managed to push 51,295 units in 2017. That's not too far behind the 2017 NX annual units of 59,341. Now with this new RDX that improved upon its predecessor in every single way, it's as good (if not better) in almost every area relative to its direct competition when not looking at subjective traits. With all of that taken into consideration, there is no doubt in my mind that the new RDX will surpass previously established sales figures in the luxury compact SUV segment. Lexus, as a brand, is my personal favorite but Acura kicked *** with this redesign and they deserve credit where it's due. If you don't believe me, watch all the auto-journalists reviews of the new RDX, a few can be found buried in this thread.
Old 06-01-18, 12:08 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Noble8626
Just a few comments from the NX features/options you listed:

LED Rear Turn Signals (sure, I agree it sucks the RDX doesn't have them but probably not a huge deal to the majority of non-enthusiast buyers as they are labeled in this thread. Probably holding off to add them for its mid-cycle refresh.) (I'll agree. The LED rear turn signals is not a big deal. Its not even considered as a "luxury item". It always can be replaced by yourself. But I still added as it is something the NX has over the RDX)
Hands-free tailgate (optional on the NX, not standard equipment, standard on Advance) (I know. But I'm strictly talking about the A-Spec model. I already said Advance model is better.)
Memory steering wheel
360 Camera (Only Advance Pack for RDX - we are comparing A-Spec to F-Sport) (optional on the NX, not standard equipment, standard on Advance) (I know. But I'm strictly talking about the A-Spec model. I already said Advance model is better.)
Improved sound damping (sure, although most can agree the NX needed it. It was criticized heavily for having a relatively noisy cabin that was uncharacteristic for a Lexus vehicle. Judging from AoA and Redline reviews, Acura focused heavily on sound isolation with this redesign which they noted and I wouldn't be surprised if the RDX has a quieter cabin than the refreshed NX under all driving conditions.) (NX needed or not is a question I'm not sure about. But my reason for adding this was: the A-Spec model doesn't have this at all while the Advance model does. I'm sure the Advance model will have a quieter cabin but I think the A-Spec would rival the NX F-Sport similarly.)
Adaptive Suspensions (optional on the NX, not standard equipment, standard on Advance) (I know. But I'm strictly talking about the A-Spec model. I already said Advance model is better.)
Amazon Alexa
Sub-Free weather/traffic (beginning with the Tech trim and up, I believe I saw the RDX has some traffic tracking program but I don't have any further details on what it is or if it's sub-free)
Misc:
Hybrid option
Better badge (I agree)
Better resale value (perhaps, but it also varies model to model and I'd be curious to see how this trends now that the new RDX is released) (I'm basing this on the overall average of Lexus. In general - Lexus holds value really well. But we will see how this RDX fairs.)
Lexus is known to have better built quality than Acura (which has definitely been the case before, but don't forget that this isn't the same Acura from a decade ago. This is the first redesign where Acura is pushing to reinvent itself. The entire car was benchmarked and built to a higher standard than any car they've developed in the past decade aside from the NSX.) (While its not the same Acura from a decade ago, it still an Acura from yesterday. Looking at pictures - the interior is vastly improved over the previous generation. But after watching a couple of reviews - they cheapen out at key points. IE: Redline reviews said the feedback for the 1:1 touchpad feels cheap and "springy" - for this price point - I expect a hard tacky click.)
Made in Japan - more import feel (Acura made in Ohio) (I agree, I'm annoyed this isn't built in Japan too) (Its not that American-made is bad. It just doesn't feel "import" when your Japanese car came from Ohio or Kentucky.)

I would agree that the NX F-Sport is more customizable than the RDX A-Spec but once you start adding those extra options you're well over the price of an RDX Advance trim which has most of these options as standard equipment and still kept under $50k. I'm also not convinced that buyers who are interested in A-Spec or F-Sport trims do not consider driving performance characteristics in their buying decision, especially when you consider that F-Sport trims in higher tier Lexus vehicles roll in equipment and performance tuning that enhances the vehicles driving dynamics. And we both know Lexus doesn't make a considerable effort in highlighting that distinction of "appearance vs functional" F-Sport trims between their lower and higher tier cars because they want you to think you're getting a more dynamic car when you opt for it no matter what car you buy. A quote taken directly from the Lexus website on the 2018 NX F-Sport:
(I know. The NX300 F-Sport will hit Advance Pack RDX money with all those features. But for someone comparing just between A-Spec and F-Sport, they might pay the extra premium for the NX300 F-Sport. Truthfully - the price bump is literally because the car is shipped from Japan using 100% Japanese materials and because of the badge. I think that's enough to justify the price definition.)

"The NX F SPORT features exclusive front and rear performance dampers and a suspension tuned for optimized performance. For even more dynamic handling, an available Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) features 650 levels of damping that can automatically adapt to changing conditions, for enhanced response based on the selected drive mode."

Whether that means they made one screw tighter than the non-F-Sport is irrelevant, the fact is it's different from the standard NX suspension and so they can market that it has enhanced driving dynamics. I'm aware the A-Spec for the RDX is an appearance package but, to the non-enthusiast buyer as stated here, I don't think it's seen that way by the majority of buyers. When my mom purchased her NX, she was apprehensive to getting the F-Sport because she thought it would be too sporty riding based on the aggressive way it looks alone. While I'm not generalizing and saying my mom makes up the majority of buyers, she does fall into the category of a non-enthusiast.

And if we're going to list features of the NX, it's only fair to do the same for the RDX (only focusing on the guts of the car, not features/options that are widely similar across the entire segment):
(Definitely - only fair to list the same. Like I said before - NX F-Sport comes with more features at this trim level.)

More Horsepower
More Torque
Better handling in SH-AWD trim
(Agreed. The Acura RDX 2019 has more power and a better AWD system.)
Better interior materials w/ real aluminum and leather (and most likely fit and finish, remember that the new RDX was built to a higher standard than their past vehicles, this is Acura reinvented)
(I would not generalize the interior material to be better because interior material isn't just about real aluminum and leather. There are little things to be considered - little details. IE: Switches and *****, soft touch material else-where in the cabin. As I haven't sat in a Acura RDX 2019 yet. I want to point out a few reviewers say the 1:1 feedback click feels cheap for this price point. I also want to say the "glossy" material on the center dash looks cheap. The glossy material won't agree well and its not good with finger prints either. It will also likely fade with sun-damage too. That's two things I noticed about the interior quality/material so far. I would assume there's more because in order for Acura to price this car at such a low cut-off price compared to Lexus/Germans - they would have to cut corners.)
Better premium sound system
More rear cargo space (RDX = 58.9 ft vs NX = 54.6 ft)
Class leading cabin space
Class leading rear seat legroom
(Agreed with everything above here)

I'm sure most of us can agree that the 2nd-gen RDX was not class competitive in any area other than its powertrain and given that, it still managed to push 51,295 units in 2017. That's not too far behind the 2017 NX annual units of 59,341. Now with this new RDX that improved upon its predecessor in every single way, it's as good (if not better) in almost every area relative to its direct competition when not looking at subjective traits. With all of that taken into consideration, there is no doubt in my mind that the new RDX will surpass previously established sales figures in the luxury compact SUV segment. Lexus, as a brand, is my personal favorite but Acura kicked *** with this redesign and they deserve credit where it's due. If you don't believe me, watch all the auto-journalists reviews of the new RDX, a few can be found buried in this thread.(No no. I believe you and I saw some myself. My point is more just the NX300 F-Sport is still really competitive to the RDX despite being old. Secondly - its hard to predict sales. You can pretty much assume in the beginning RDX sales will be slow because there will be no incentives. German/Lexus models will offer good promotions as they aren't brand brand new. Another thing is - you have to consider how people want to package these vehicles. People don't usually buy these cars loaded. We'll have to see if people want a minimum packaged RDX over a minimum packaged NX.) (At no point I said the new RDX is bad. I'm just saying the NX300 F-Sport is wedged between the A-Spec and Advance pack - with the Advance being the best RDX ever made.)
See blue. Makes things simpler.

EDIT: The 2019 Acura RDX just released on the website with full list of specs and features - from what I gather from their full specs and features list:
https://www.acura.com/rdx/pricing-and-specs

The RDX A-Spec also doesn't have:
Rain sensing wipers.
Confirmed no Sub-free weather/traffic.
Auto-dimming side mirrors.
Heated steering wheel.
Illuminated Door Handles.

These are the few extra things I just found out the Acura RDX A-Spec do not have. And this is why I was saying the NX300 F-Sport is a better buy compared to the Acura RDX A-Spec. The NX300 F-Sport just has more features.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-01-18 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 01:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Lets talk specifically the 2018 prices you have listed. You listed a non-fully loaded price RX450hL and compared it to a fully loaded MDX to fit your argument (you did this for the 2015 prices as well). The 2018 MDX Advance Package (which is the highest packaged option - fully loaded), yes, it cost $58,650. But the RX450hL price you listed is not the fully loaded price - the price is barely optioned. Once you option out the RX450hL to a point where its "fully loaded" like the Acura MDX, the Lexus RX shoots up over 60K with options.

Let me break it down for you:
RX450hL - starts at $51,645 with destination.
Add Navi and ML sound - $54,845.
Add Cold weather pack and Luxury pack - $59,095 <-- already more than the Advance Pack MDX. (Only fair Lexus RX get all packages because the MDX got all the packages)
And I haven't even gotten to options yet....

Don't use a fully loaded MDX price to compare it to a lower optioned RX price. Use the fully loaded RX price as well - make both vehicles comparable...
This is why the Lexus RX is more expensive. This is why the Lexus RX is seen as more upscale. This is why the Lexus RX also sells more...

Secondly - I want to add. I would use the proper competition base price as well. The RX350L versus the MDX (both 7 seater) - Base RX350L $47,670 Base MDX $44,200.

I'll agree with you on one thing, the MDX is faster than the RX. However - just because the MDX is faster doesn't make it more upscale. Speed don't make a car upscale. IE: The 2008 Lexus IS250 was slow but it was more upscale than the 2008 G35 which was insanely faster.
I used bing prices for model year/MSRPs and tried to be as comparable as possible without spending hours on the post looking up every single option/pricing package/features, I did not list every single trim price because for some years there are so many and I never cherry picked any price to try to prove my argument, my argument and facts are correct, I also listed what was the most expensive model for each gen/year at the end of each price listing that were pretty comparable. Avg transaction prices for the MDX have always been higher then the RX, that is not the case with Acura sedans compared to Lexus sedans but it is with the MDX vs RX.

As for the current MDX and RX they are closer and the RX now has a 7 seater and in the one case of the base RX350L base and MDX base the RX is more expensive but I believe the base RX350L is better equipped then a base MDX which is why it likely has the higher price now, once you add the common tech package the MDX becomes more expensive. The highest spec non hybrid MDX is $56,650.00 , the highest spec non hybrid RX350L is $54,085.00, the highest spec hybrid MDX is $58,650.00, the highest spec hybrid RX350L $54,555.00.

The IS250 and GS350 competed in the same segment, IS had a nicer interior with better quality with a small slow engine with a base price of $32,025.00, $34,485.00 for awd , the GS350 was a larger car, larger interior, with much more power and performance and a base price of $32,250.00, $34,750.00 awd. I would not say either one was more upscale then the other, G35 was just slightly higher in price but you just got different advantages with both cars, stepping up to the the IS350 it was a good deal more expensive then the G35.

Back in around 2007-08 the MDX was beating the BMW X5 in comparison tests and was being frequently compared to it, a BMW exec said the MDX was one of the main vehicles they had to bench mark to improve the next X5 because they acknowledged the current MDX was superior to the X5 and they were losing sales to it, can't really say that was ever the case with the RX which pretty much was never compared to a X5, some earlier reviews even had the MDX going against the Lexus GX and the MDX still won some.

Either way the Acura MDX has always been a more expensive more upscale vehicle then the Lexus RX, that is pretty common knowledge among buyers and people here.

Last edited by UDel; 06-01-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 01:31 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
I used bing prices for model year/MSRPs and tried to be as comparable as possible without spending hours on the post looking up every single option/pricing package/features, I did not list every single trim price because for some years there are so many and I never cherry picked any price to try to prove my argument, my argument and facts are correct, I also listed what was the most expensive model for each gen/year at the end of each price listing that were pretty comparable. Avg transaction prices for the MDX have always been higher then the RX, that is not the case with Acura sedans compared to Lexus sedans but it is with the MDX vs RX.

As for the current MDX and RX they are closer and the RX now has a 7 seater and in the one case of the base RX350L base and MDX base the RX is more expensive but I believe the base RX350L is better equipped then a base MDX which is why it likely has the higher price now, once you add the common tech package the MDX becomes more expensive. The highest spec non hybrid MDX is $56,650.00 , the highest spec non hybrid RX350L is $54,085.00, the highest spec hybrid MDX is $58,650.00, the highest spec hybrid RX350L $54,555.00.

The IS250 and GS350 competed in the same segment, IS had a nicer interior with better quality with a small slow engine with a base price of $32,025.00, $34,485.00 for awd , the GS350 was a larger car, larger interior, with much more power and performance and a base price of $32,250.00, $34,750.00 awd. I would not say either one was more upscale then the other, G35 was just slightly higher in price but you just got different advantages with both cars, stepping up to the the IS350 it was a good deal more expensive then the G35

Either way the Acura MDX has always been a more expensive more upscale vehicle then the Lexus RX, that is pretty common knowledge among buyers and people here.
You are literally refusing to package the RX properly into to make the RX cheap so it can fit your narrative... All I did to pack the RX was add Navigation + ML system Pack, Luxury Pack, Cold Weather Pack and 360 Camera. <--- Doing this is roughly the same thing as adding the Entertainment Pack, Tech Pack, Advance Pack on the MDX. IE: I'm making both vehicles fully loaded - meaning - making them both the same with similar features. The price of the RX you have is missing at least 1-2 featured packages. Meaning the RX you compared to the MDX has less features, which lowers the price dramatically. You need to add these packages on the RX because you added the packages on the MDX.

Explain to me how is it comparable when you packaged the Acura MDX to fully loaded but do the not the same for the Lexus RX? That is not comparable because you are using a Acura MDX with more features to compared to a Lexus RX with less features. If you compare the fully loaded versions of the MDX to the fully loaded version of the RX - the Lexus RX is more expensive and more upscale.

Note:I didn't look through all options. I went to Build a Lexus - added the packages that was needed on the RX to make the RX similar to the MDX Advance Pack. By doing that - I came up with the numbers seen below:

The highest spec FWD non Hybrid MDX (FULLY LOADED) is $56,650 ($57,645 with destination) - $58,650 ($59,645 with destination) AWD. The highest spec FWD non Hybrid RX350L (FULLY LOADED) is $59,090 - $60,490 AWD. <--- (Similar to the MDX, this Lexus RX is packaged with all the packages + 360 Camera. Just like the MDX - packaged with all packages and 360 Camera. Meaning this RX is similarity packaged to the MDX.)

The highest spec Hybrid MDX (FULLY LOADED) is $59,145 (with destination). The highest spec RX450hL(the RX350hL don't exist anymore) (FULLY LOADED) is $60,960 (with destination).

The base price MDX is $44,200 ($45,195 with destination). The RX350L base price is $47,670 ($48,685 with destination).

Conclusion:
A Lexus RX with a similarity packaged option list as the MDX Advance Pack will yield the Lexus RX a higher price tag. These are the facts - people can go build it themselves and see that you are actively lowering the price of the RX in your comparison to make it seem cheaper than the MDX.

Note: I assume your GS350 is a typo and you meant G35. Yes. The IS250 and the G35 competed in the same segment. But the IS250 is seen as a more upscale car due to its features, better refinement/quality and badge. My point was: the extra room and power doesn't increase a car's value to be more upscale.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-01-18 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 05:15 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,134 Likes on 734 Posts

Test drove a 2019 RDX advanced today. I can not stress enough if you are in the market for a new SUV take the time to test drive. It is a blast to drive. Handles like a sporty sedan, accelerates rapidly with zero turbo lag like in the NX and is quiet. Now I know why Alex on Autos raved about it and picked over the NX. The technology, comfort and ride excel. Test drove it at 11am today. It was sunny and hot. The shade on the panoramic roof was wide open. It was not overly bright or hot with it open. Got home and opened the shade on my ES and had to shut it. It was way to bright and hot. Acura must use a high heat reduction tint. Top of the line with the advance package with SHAWD list at $47,000. Can not imagine a better buy. ELS sound system is indescribable. You just have to listen. Only concern is gas mileage. EPA is 21 and 27. I took it on a 12 mile trip which half was highway and my mpg was 10.
Old 06-01-18, 06:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 06-01-18, 08:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You are literally refusing to package the RX properly into to make the RX cheap so it can fit your narrative... All I did to pack the RX was add Navigation + ML system Pack, Luxury Pack, Cold Weather Pack and 360 Camera. <--- Doing this is roughly the same thing as adding the Entertainment Pack, Tech Pack, Advance Pack on the MDX. IE: I'm making both vehicles fully loaded - meaning - making them both the same with similar features. The price of the RX you have is missing at least 1-2 featured packages. Meaning the RX you compared to the MDX has less features, which lowers the price dramatically. You need to add these packages on the RX because you added the packages on the MDX.

Explain to me how is it comparable when you packaged the Acura MDX to fully loaded but do the not the same for the Lexus RX? That is not comparable because you are using a Acura MDX with more features to compared to a Lexus RX with less features. If you compare the fully loaded versions of the MDX to the fully loaded version of the RX - the Lexus RX is more expensive and more upscale.

Note:I didn't look through all options. I went to Build a Lexus - added the packages that was needed on the RX to make the RX similar to the MDX Advance Pack. By doing that - I came up with the numbers seen below:

The highest spec FWD non Hybrid MDX (FULLY LOADED) is $56,650 ($57,645 with destination) - $58,650 ($59,645 with destination) AWD. The highest spec FWD non Hybrid RX350L (FULLY LOADED) is $59,090 - $60,490 AWD. <--- (Similar to the MDX, this Lexus RX is packaged with all the packages + 360 Camera. Just like the MDX - packaged with all packages and 360 Camera. Meaning this RX is similarity packaged to the MDX.)

The highest spec Hybrid MDX (FULLY LOADED) is $59,145 (with destination). The highest spec RX450hL(the RX350hL don't exist anymore) (FULLY LOADED) is $60,960 (with destination).

The base price MDX is $44,200 ($45,195 with destination). The RX350L base price is $47,670 ($48,685 with destination).

Conclusion:
A Lexus RX with a similarity packaged option list as the MDX Advance Pack will yield the Lexus RX a higher price tag. These are the facts - people can go build it themselves and see that you are actively lowering the price of the RX in your comparison to make it seem cheaper than the MDX.

Note: I assume your GS350 is a typo and you meant G35. Yes. The IS250 and the G35 competed in the same segment. But the IS250 is seen as a more upscale car due to its features, better refinement/quality and badge. My point was: the extra room and power doesn't increase a car's value to be more upscale.
You are refusing to look at the different generations over the years I posted which clearly proves the MDX was a more expensive vehicle then the RX. I am not sure why you keep trying to make this false argument with the RX when it is simply wrong, it has been very common knowledge and easily provable that the MDX has always been a more upscale, more expensive, larger, quicker, sportier, better driving, better equipped vehicle on the whole then the RX, whether you found one trim option on the current one that is more expensive on the RX does not change that fact that the MDX was always a more upscale, more expensive vehicle then the RX over the generations, all the rumors are saying the MDX will go further upscale next generation so even the current overlap or outlier is not going to exist when the next generation rolls around. It is not a knock against the RX to state the fact the MDX has been a more upscale vehicle then the RX, the LX is a much more upscale vehicle then the MDX.

I chose to Bing search the trims of all the generations, neither Acura or Lexus site lists prices for older models, I was not cherry picking anything in what I listed, just going by results which are clear, look at the right hand corner of package prices.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=2018+L...ZI&form=MOZSBR
https://www.bing.com/search?q=2018+A...ZI&form=MOZSBR

https://www.bing.com/search?q=2008+L...220D974CCE67F3
https://www.bing.com/search?q=2008+A...653D18829546C5

The IS250 was seen as more upscale to you and some but not to everyone, some people found the G35 more upscale with its larger size, more power, bigger engine, being much quicker, etc. For me I would much rather have a G35/37 then a IS250, a IS350 would be a different story. The IS250 would be closer to a G25 which was a big flop, the IS350 and G35/37 were/are closer but the IS350 does come at a much bigger premium.
Old 06-01-18, 11:39 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
You are refusing to look at the different generations over the years I posted which clearly proves the MDX was a more expensive vehicle then the RX. I am not sure why you keep trying to make this false argument with the RX when it is simply wrong, it has been very common knowledge and easily provable that the MDX has always been a more upscale, more expensive, larger, quicker, sportier, better driving, better equipped vehicle on the whole then the RX, whether you found one trim option on the current one that is more expensive on the RX does not change that fact that the MDX was always a more upscale, more expensive vehicle then the RX over the generations, all the rumors are saying the MDX will go further upscale next generation so even the current overlap or outlier is not going to exist when the next generation rolls around. It is not a knock against the RX to state the fact the MDX has been a more upscale vehicle then the RX, the LX is a much more upscale vehicle then the MDX.

I chose to Bing search the trims of all the generations, neither Acura or Lexus site lists prices for older models, I was not cherry picking anything in what I listed, just going by results which are clear, look at the right hand corner of package prices.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=2018+Lexus+RX350+price&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR
https://www.bing.com/search?q=2018+Acura+MDX+price&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

https://www.bing.com/search?q=2008+Lexus+RX350+price&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=2008+lexus+rx350+price&sc=1-22&sk=&cvid=54C56F6E9C7C491083220D974CCE67F3
https://www.bing.com/search?q=2008+Acura+MDX+price&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=2008+acura+mdx+price&sc=5-20&sk=&cvid=9E944482C49242CC89653D18829546C5
The IS250 was seen as more upscale to you and some but not to everyone, some people found the G35 more upscale with its larger size, more power, bigger engine, being much quicker, etc. For me I would much rather have a G35/37 then a IS250, a IS350 would be a different story. The IS250 would be closer to a G25 which was a big flop, the IS350 and G35/37 were/are closer but the IS350 does come at a much bigger premium.
Let me start off by saying - I don't know much about the older RX versus the older MDX. So I'll take your word for it - back then - it might be the MDX is considered "more expensive and more upscale." But now its my turn - why are you refusing to answer my question? Which is: why are you actively lowering the price of the RX by refusing to add 1-2 featured packages? The price of the 2018 RX you listed is missing at least 1-2 packages - meaning you are comparing a half packaged RX to a fully packaged MDX. <--- That's not how you compare the two cars.
Current generation - today's model of the RX versus the MDX. The RX is more expensive and more upscale compared to the MDX, like I proved in my previous comment.
BASE:

FULLY LOADED:
The highest spec FWD non Hybrid MDX (FULLY LOADED) is $56,650 ($57,645 with destination) - $58,650 ($59,645 with destination) AWD. The highest spec FWD non Hybrid RX350L (FULLY LOADED) is $59,090 - $60,490 AWD.

Again - the base model for the RX350L and MDX - the RX is more expensive.
The Lexus RX packaged with Navigation + ML Pack, Weather Pack, Luxury Pack and 360 Camera is more expensive than the Acura MDX packaged with Entertainment, Tech Pack and Advance Pack. Both vehicles are fully loaded and have similar features - yielding a higher price RX.

Lastly - currently - the Lexus RX is more upscale for multiple reasons. The Lexus RX holds better brand prestige, cost more, has more features, and more customization. You are the first person I have heard that said the Acura MDX is more upscale than a Lexus RX.

What? No. The IS250 is not closer compared to the G25. The IS250 is clearly above the G25. The G25 was introduced in 2011 and at the time the IS250 as F-Sport package. The IS250 offered F-Sport Package and Navigation - the G25 did not. You couldn't get a sports or navigation package on the G25. So how is the IS250 closer compared to a G25, which can't even get navigation and other features the Lexus IS250 at the time has?
Sure. Difference in option. Some people could think the Infiniti G35 at the time was a more upscale car. Some people didn't. And I was one of those people. Was the Infiniti G35 a better car? Yes. Was it a more upscale car? No.
At the time - the Lexus brand was internationally sold and known - Infiniti wasn't. So, the Lexus IS250 at the time, has brand prestige, has real wood trim, better quality, better built/finish, and provided a more luxury feel while the G was more sporty feel.
Old 06-01-18, 11:45 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Test drove a 2019 RDX advanced today. I can not stress enough if you are in the market for a new SUV take the time to test drive. It is a blast to drive. Handles like a sporty sedan, accelerates rapidly with zero turbo lag like in the NX and is quiet. Now I know why Alex on Autos raved about it and picked over the NX. The technology, comfort and ride excel. Test drove it at 11am today. It was sunny and hot. The shade on the panoramic roof was wide open. It was not overly bright or hot with it open. Got home and opened the shade on my ES and had to shut it. It was way to bright and hot. Acura must use a high heat reduction tint. Top of the line with the advance package with SHAWD list at $47,000. Can not imagine a better buy. ELS sound system is indescribable. You just have to listen. Only concern is gas mileage. EPA is 21 and 27. I took it on a 12 mile trip which half was highway and my mpg was 10.
Is your pricing accurate? Was the dealer giving you a discount?

An Advance Package RDX, with a non-special color (meaning no paint price increase), cost $47,400 before destination and $48,395 with destination. With extra dealer junk on it - you are looking at least $49,000 for the Advance Pack.
There is no possible way to get $47,000 unless its discounted. Which I doubt it is because its a brand new car.

https://www.acura.com/build-price/rdx?modelyear=2019
Build the RDX yourself - there is no way to get a lower price than $48,395 on an Advance Pack RDX. Acura's packing is simple - its either you have everything or one thing.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX