Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Why is the Acura brand a joke? They build very good reliable cars and offer more for the money then most competitors
for some it's not just the vehicle that matters, but the brand and 'prestige'. I personally couldn't care less and only look at the product. Marketing is all b.s. to me and i don't care if the dealership was made of solid gold and they gave me a full body massage each time i went in.
Old 06-04-18, 12:16 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
But the German naming schemes have some relation to relative performance. The Lexus 2 liter performs like a much smaller engine. A GS 300, NX300, or IS300 is saddled with a much more underpowered engine than any of the competition. They are not competitive with BMW, Audi, nor Mercedes 2 liter turbos. Much worse, they are not competitive with Honda or VW or Ford. An NX300 is a cramped, underpowered, stiff riding, overpriced SUV in any of its forms, but particularly the F Sport package. Lexus should be ashamed.
The German naming scheme used to have relation to relative performance - they don't anymore. IE: BMW 325i back in the day - the 3(25)i meant the 2.5L Inline 6. The W204 C300 - the 300 meant 3.0L V6.
Now the 330i and 340i how does it match the relative performance?
330i has a 2.0L with 248HP. Shouldn't it be called the 320i? Why 330i?
340i has 3.0L with 320HP. Shouldn't it be called the 330i? 320i? Why 340i?
C300 has a 2.0L with 241HP. Shouldn't it be called the C200? C241? C250? Why C300?

Ermm... The Lexus AR Turbo is under-powered, true, but they are competitive with the BMW and Audi competition.
The Lexus IS300 (241HP/258TQ) clearly competes with the 320i which has a 180HP/200TQ engine.
The Lexus IS300 (241HP/258TQ) clearly competes with the Audi A4 FWD prestige, which
has the under powered engine with 190HP.
The Lexus NX300 (235HP/258TQ) clearly competes with the Audi Q3, which has a 200HP turbo engine.
The Lexus NX300 (235HP/258TQ) clearly competes with the BMW X3 which has a 248HP/258TQ. (Being that the NX doesn't have a V6 model or a "higher-trim" model, it doesn't compete with the X3 M40i)
The Lexus NX300 (235HP/258TQ) clearly competes with the MB GLC300 which has 241HP/273TQ.
(While the Lexus NX isn't faster than the X3/GLC, the engine specs are not too far off. You are making it sound like the AR turbo is insanely weaker than the competition.)

My point is - the Lexus AR Turbo, while its not the fastest, it is a competition engine within the competition. To say it isn't - shows bias. A car sale relies more than just a faster engine. IE: Some people would trade the 13HP difference in the X3 for a more reliable and cheaper NX.

Let me start off by saying - I don't know much about the older RX versus the older MDX.
That is obvious, you keep trying to argue something that is not true, the MDX has always been a more expensive, more upscale vehicle then the RX, it is very common knowledge and I proved it to you. Not sure why there is still a argument.
I think you are the one that is arguing something that is not true. I'm talking specifically the 2018 models now because I can't comment on older models. The current 2018 Lexus RX is more expensive than the current Acura MDX. Why do you keep denying this? The facts are there. Just gotta build it and match the features. Even the base model RX350L is more expensive than the MDX.

Current generation - today's model of the RX versus the MDX. The RX is more expensive and more upscale compared to the MDX, like I proved in my previous comment.
Again, there may be some overlap with this generation since they just added a 7 seat RX, most RX buyers are still going to be getting the 5 seats RX which is still less expensive then the standard MDX so most buyers are still going to be paying more for the MDX vs the RX, if you are going by base versions/adding awd of each vehicle the MDX is still priced higher then a RX, you have to go for a higher end RX option to start getting in the overlap/higher price for a trim. The MDX will be going more upscale and will be more expensive the next generation just like the RDX has so this overlap right now will be going away and the MDX will again be more upscale and expensive then the RX. My original argument was about the MDX vs RX over the generations, it was always a more expensive, better equipped, more upscale vehicle.
The Lexus RX will be more expensive if you match the exact same features, same drive-train, and same seating. Please go build both of them and see. There is not one case where the MDX is more expensive if the features are matched w/ the RX.
I don't care what buyers are going to buy. That's changing the subject. We are talking about whats more expensive this current generation - not what people are gonna buy.
The fact is the Lexus RX is more expensive and more upscale.

Lastly - currently - the Lexus RX is more upscale for multiple reasons. The Lexus RX holds better brand prestige, cost more, has more features, and more customization. You are the first person I have heard that said the Acura MDX is more upscale than a Lexus RX.
Lexus has better brand prestige, sure but that does not mean individual models of every Lexus are more upscale then every Acura model, a ES or IS are certainly not more upscale then a RLX, a RC is certainly not more upscale then a NSX, NX certainly not more upscale then a MDX. Even currently, unless the 7 seat RX is very popular which it may not be the avg price of the MDX vs RX, MDX is still going to be higher, base MDX or MDX with awd is more expensive then base RX or RX with awd, once you add the popular tech package(nav) to a MDX awd you are already over 50K, the MDX has a much more advanced AWD system, I believe MDX has a better rear seat controls/entertainment package too the current RX, I don't think the RX even offered rear seat controls/entertainment package in previous generations. Again, the MDX will be going more upscale and be more expensive next generation.
You must not talk to many people because it is common knowledge pretty much everywhere that the MDX has always been a more expensive, more upscale vehicle then the RX.
That's a slippery slope argument. Obviously - the Lexus IS is not more upscale than the Acura RLX. You need to compare Apples to Apples. Every Lexus car model is more upscale to the Acura version of the same model within the same segment. IE: Lexus IS > Acura TLX, Lexus ES > Acura RLX and etc... Its because Lexus has better over all brand prestige.

What? No. The IS250 is not closer compared to the G25.
At the time - the Lexus brand was internationally sold and known - Infiniti wasn't. So, the Lexus IS250 at the time, has brand prestige, has real wood trim, better quality, better built/finish, and provided a more luxury feel while the G was more sporty feel.

They both had small, 200ish hp engines so many including me see that as being closer compared to the IS350 and G35/37 that had larger V6's with 300ish hp. Infiniti was also sold internationally, they sell vehicles in Europe and other markets, IS had better finish and quality in most areas, G was larger and more sporty, some buyers see the sportier larger vehicles as being the biggest draw and most prestigious, just depends, I would much rather have a G35/37 over a IS250, now a IS350 would be a different story.
Just because the engine sizes are the same - doesn't mean they are true competitors. By that logic - the Lexus IS350 could compete with the Camry XSE V6 because engine size. The Lexus IS250 had more options - IE: it had F-Sport pack and Navigation pack. How do you compete with a car (G25) without those features? How does a Lexus IS250 F-Sport with Navigation compete with a G25 that doesn't offer Sport pack, navigation, bose system, and has less features?

No. Infiniti, at the time, was not internationally sold (as in sold everywhere in the world).

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-n...9AA0JV20131111
Infiniti only started going "global" in 2014. IE: Nissan started selling the Infiniti Q50 as an Infiniti Skyline in Japan in 2014. Before that it was only Nissan badges only.
While Infiniti did sell in Europe back in the day, they didn't sell everywhere and Japan was an example. Today, however, they are global.

"Upscale" is seen more through the eyes of brand, quality and material. Not usually a larger size, faster engine or more sporty. If this was the case, the Mustang Coupe would be seen as a competitor to the BMW 3 Series Coupe.
See red.

Why is the Acura brand a joke? They build very good reliable cars and offer more for the money then most competitors. You think Mazda is a step up from Acura? Mazda is nowhere near as prestigious or respected as Acura and sales prove that, despite good reviews, many Mazda's are some of the poorest selling vehicles in their segments, especially the 6 sedan. The RDX looks to be a class leader from the reviews and test drives.
You have to understand other people's opinion. People see Acura as a "joke" of a brand because of a few reasons:
1) No brand prestige.
2) Products tend to be more Honda than Acura. All Acura engines are on Honda products. While Lexus and Toyota do share engines, Lexus has Lexus exclusive engines. This is what Acura needs - an engine Honda don't use.
3) Currently - Acura products are made in USA along side Hondas. How is that a true "import"? Maybe don't make the Acura TLX next to a Honda Accord?
4) Quality of material
5) Lost image/identity - starting with the peak. This really pissed people off.
6) No RWD option. I disagree when people say this because RWD isn't something that drives "upscale" or "brand prestige" - look at Audi.
7) etc....

Acura used to be a good brand in my opinion. I believe Acura totally went down hill when the peak grille was introduced. Hopefully - the new Acura RDX will reclaim some of that old Acura magic. So far - I do love the new design Acura is going for and the interior is way better than before. But there is still signs of Acura mistakes - they still cut corners (Redline says 1:1 touchpad is cheap and I'm sure other areas are cheapen to keep prices low). The interior gloss material is a mistake - its pretty cheap and finger prints will be a huge issue. I also think they should have took the chance to introduce a "signature" digital cluster like the LFA gauges or Audi Virtual Cockpit or MBUX.
Old 06-04-18, 05:50 AM
kagete
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Macan is "moving up". No one would realistically compare a Porsche Macan to an Acura RDX. They aren't even on the same-level, to be honest.

+1 Agreed on the HUD comment. It sucks the A-Spec don't have HUD. The A-Spec is hands down the better looking car. All of the A-Specs look better than their Advance models. The Advance models are just down right ugly - same thing for the TLX Advance. The chrome strip on the door is dumb idea.

Google Maps is legit good. Its one of the best maps out there. But - I still maintain - Android Car Play can never replacement a good car infotainment system. IE: I would never use Google Maps/Android Car Play over MMI Virtual Cockpit. And I have yet to meet an Audi owner that will. Similarity - no BMW owner would use Apple Car Play over iDrive. Apple maps is just garbage.

A lot of cars are starting to offer Amazon Alexa - which in my opinion, is better than Google's voice assist.
I respectfully disagree as Google's voice recognition is unparalleled. If even 20% of their previewed improvements make it in the next year then they will firmly have the lead for the next 5 years at least. Alexa also has the disadvantage of not being part of an ecosystem. Android Auto's voice rec. has access to your email, calendar, contacts, Youtube, and Google Music.
Old 06-04-18, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

The German naming scheme used to have relation to relative performance - they don't anymore. IE: BMW 325i back in the day - the 3(25)i meant the 2.5L Inline 6. The W204 C300 - the 300 meant 3.0L V6.
Now the 330i and 340i how does it match the relative performance?
330i has a 2.0L with 248HP. Shouldn't it be called the 320i? Why 330i?
340i has 3.0L with 320HP. Shouldn't it be called the 330i? 320i? Why 340i?
C300 has a 2.0L with 241HP. Shouldn't it be called the C200? C241? C250? Why C300?
i disagree with your premise. the scheme used to be related to engine size, although still not always. now it's more about hp, but still, yeah, doesn't really correlate. plus bmw/mb have a lot more models/levels than what they sell in the u.s. and need 'space' to spread out the numbering.

my comments below...

People see Acura as a "joke" of a brand because of a few reasons:
1) No brand prestige.
it's not as prestigious, i.e., highly thought of, as mercedes, that's true.
2) Products tend to be more Honda than Acura. All Acura engines are on Honda products. While Lexus and Toyota do share engines, Lexus has Lexus exclusive engines. This is what Acura needs - an engine Honda don't use.
i don't think that's completely true, but anyway...
3) Currently - Acura products are made in USA along side Hondas. How is that a true "import"? Maybe don't make the Acura TLX next to a Honda Accord?
i don't think bmw owners care that their car was made in spartanburg, sc
4) Quality of material
i think that's debatable, many lower end models of supposedly 'prestigious' brands look really cheap to me
don't know about 'pissed people off' but it certainly wasn't appealing... but i think a bigger issue was just overall execution and 'fake value' - trying to sell the proposition they were somewhat upscale when the look, the performance, and the features were missing!
6) No RWD option. I disagree when people say this because RWD isn't something that drives "upscale" or "brand prestige" - look at Audi.
audi's pretty much all (if not entirely) awd in the u.s. and a number of their designs are not a typical fwd config (longitudinal engines) - either way, an s5 is a beautiful car!
7) etc....
Acura used to be a good brand in my opinion. I believe Acura totally went down hill when the peak grille was introduced.
they've been off the rails for longer than the peak... the rlx fiasco, ilx was so lame to start, tsx/tlx kinda ho hum, first gen rdx ho hum...

Hopefully - the new Acura RDX will reclaim some of that old Acura magic.
agreed!

having owned two acuras before i jumped to lexus, i kinda want them to succeed!
Old 06-04-18, 09:44 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kagete
I respectfully disagree as Google's voice recognition is unparalleled. If even 20% of their previewed improvements make it in the next year then they will firmly have the lead for the next 5 years at least. Alexa also has the disadvantage of not being part of an ecosystem. Android Auto's voice rec. has access to your email, calendar, contacts, Youtube, and Google Music.
Oh. I agree that Google's Voice services are really good. No doubt about that. But I still maintain you can't really use Android Car Play to replace a good infotainment system. No matter how good the Google voice service is - no one would use some people would not use Android Car Play over MMI/MBUX and etc... This is why Alexa is used more often than This is why I believe Alexa is used more often than Google Voice. Its because Alexa doesn't change your infotainment system to mirror your phone but rather add-on to it as a third party program and you can still uses your standard infotainment system.

Maybe you use Google Voice to access your emails, calendar, contacts, YouTube and G Music. But I personally don't see a reason to activate YouTube or E-mails/messages while driving. You should be focused on the road. You can activate music, contacts and calendar through other means. IE: Siri Eyes Free feature within cars for Apple users.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i disagree with your premise. the scheme used to be related to engine size, although still not always. now it's more about hp, but still, yeah, doesn't really correlate. plus bmw/mb have a lot more models/levels than what they sell in the u.s. and need 'space' to spread out the numbering.

my comments below...

they've been off the rails for longer than the peak... the rlx fiasco, ilx was so lame to start, tsx/tlx kinda ho hum, first gen rdx ho hum...

agreed!

having owned two acuras before i jumped to lexus, i kinda want them to succeed!
My point was pretty much that MB/BMW don't follow the proper naming scheme anymore. As a response to oldcajun, who said they still do. Pretty much no car companies follow the naming scheme anymore.

I agree with the RLX. They started messing that up way before the peak. However, the peak came before the ILX. But I do agree - the ILX is a joke.
I actually thought the 1G TSX and 1G RDX were pretty good cars. With the 2G TSX, they had a chance to throw in the Turbo 4 from the RDX to make it better but they totally goof'd that.

Acura needs to succeed. I want them to as well. I believe the new Acura RDX is a step in the right direction but it'll take time before people start trusting Acura again. They dug a deep hole.

People see Acura as a "joke" of a brand because of a few reasons:
1) No brand prestige.
it's not as prestigious, i.e., highly thought of, as mercedes, that's true.
i don't think that's completely true, but anyway...
I think - what I mean by this comment - is they have this Honda feel. The interiors before were largely similar to Honda's interior. Acura used a lot of Honda parts as well.
i don't think bmw owners care that their car was made in spartanburg, sc
True. Other luxury car companies make some of their cars in USA, Mexico and Africa. However - Acura makes all of their cars in the USA - except for the RLX that no one buys. Their "halo car" NSX is made in Ohio (they should have made this in Japan). BMW more expensive cars are all made in Germany. MB more expensive cars are all made in Germany. Lexus only has the RX/ES made outside of Japan. Majority of Infinitis are made in Japan. I want Acura to at least make majority of their cars in the home country to give the car brand a more import feel. How "import" is it really when 99% of your cars are American made?
4) Quality of material
i think that's debatable, many lower end models of supposedly 'prestigious' brands look really cheap to me
True. There is cheap materials everywhere but Acura does have lower quality of material in some cases to keep cost low. They price cut under the competition to offer more for less.
don't know about 'pissed people off' but it certainly wasn't appealing... but i think a bigger issue was just overall execution and 'fake value' - trying to sell the proposition they were somewhat upscale when the look, the performance, and the features were missing!
Well - pissed people off might be a weird way to put it. But yes, it wasn't not appealing at all. The TL with the peak was just an ugly car.
While I'll agree the look does look less "luxurious" than other brands. I do think the older Acuras they had the performance and features to pass as luxury given the fact they under cut the competition by couple thousand dollars. IE: The 1G TSX was pretty comparable to the 2G Lexus IS250. The only major difference was the Lexus IS250 had a bit more bells and whistles given the price was 10K more expensive than the TSX.

audi's pretty much all (if not entirely) awd in the u.s. and a number of their designs are not a typical fwd config (longitudinal engines) - either way, an s5 is a beautiful car!
That's true. A good selection of their FWD designs are different. I think this is something Acura needs to change if they want to be more like Audi.
7) etc....

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-04-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-04-18, 10:24 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Oh. I agree that Google's Voice services are really good. No doubt about that. But I still maintain you can't really use Android Car Play to replace a good infotainment system. No matter how good the Google voice service is - no one would use Android Car Play over MMI/MBUX and etc... This is why Alexa is used more often than Google Voice. Its because Alexa doesn't change your infotainment system to mirror your phone but rather add-on to it as a third party program and you can still uses your standard infotainment system.

Maybe you use Google Voice to access your emails, calendar, contacts, YouTube and G Music. But I personally don't see a reason to activate YouTube or E-mails/messages while driving. You should be focused on the road. You can activate music, contacts and calendar through other means. IE: Siri Eyes Free feature within cars for Apple users.
Alexa is available or expected to be available in BMWs, Minis, Fords, Toyotas, Lexus, Hyundai, and VW. Android Auto is in Acura, Alfa, Aston Martin, Audi, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, Genesis, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Lincoln, Maserati, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ram, Smart, Subaru, VW, and Volvo. Add onto that Audi and Volvo are moving towards Android Automotive so they'll have a full fledged Android OS running their infotainment. You can't access YouTube videos or e-mails on Android Auto. You will see when you get a text, but the message will not appear on screen. Instead you can have it read to you.

Maybe take your own advice and stop generalizing all people.
Old 06-04-18, 10:42 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
Alexa is available or expected to be available in BMWs, Minis, Fords, Toyotas, Lexus, Hyundai, and VW. Android Auto is in Acura, Alfa, Aston Martin, Audi, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, Genesis, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Lincoln, Maserati, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ram, Smart, Subaru, VW, and Volvo. Add onto that Audi and Volvo are moving towards Android Automotive so they'll have a full fledged Android OS running their infotainment. You can't access YouTube videos or e-mails on Android Auto. You will see when you get a text, but the message will not appear on screen. Instead you can have it read to you.

Maybe take your own advice and stop generalizing all people.
Typo. Maybe instead of no one - I should have said some people. Thanks for that correction.

I understand you don't like me because we share a difference of opinion on Apple Car Play and Android Car Play. But you are act super hostile towards me with each reply.
Old 06-04-18, 11:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Typo. Maybe instead of no one - I should have said some people. Thanks for that correction.

I understand you don't like me because we share a difference of opinion on Apple Car Play and Android Car Play. But you are act super hostile towards me with each reply.
I have responded to you once (twice including this one) since the Acura infotainment thread. All I'm going to say is check your facts and cut back on the absolute statements (all, no one, etc)
Old 06-04-18, 11:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

See red.

You have to understand other people's opinion. People see Acura as a "joke" of a brand because of a few reasons:
1) No brand prestige.
4) Quality of material
7) etc....

Acura used to be a good brand in my opinion. I believe Acura totally went down hill when the peak grille was introduced. Hopefully - the new Acura RDX will reclaim some of that old Acura magic. So far - I do love the new design Acura is going for and the interior is way better than before. But there is still signs of Acura mistakes - they still cut corners (Redline says 1:1 touchpad is cheap and I'm sure other areas are cheapen to keep prices low). The interior gloss material is a mistake - its pretty cheap and finger prints will be a huge issue. I also think they should have took the chance to introduce a "signature" digital cluster like the LFA gauges or Audi Virtual Cockpit or MBUX.
Wow. Not going to waste any more time arguing the same thing over and over with you.

I will point out one new error, the ES and RLX do not compare with each other, the TLX/TL and ES compete more with each other and the ES is in not more upscale then the Acura RLX. It also has nothing to do with brand prestige.
Old 06-04-18, 11:48 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have responded to you once (twice including this one) since the Acura infotainment thread. All I'm going to say is check your facts and cut back on the absolute statements (all, no one, etc)
Yup. And the last two times has been hostile to say the least.

I wasn't posting facts in both statements you replied too. I was posting my opinion - as I have stated - especially in the Acura infotainment thread regarding the Android Car Play. I even tried to stop the conversation by claiming "we will agree to disagree"...

Sure. I'll try to hold back absolute statements if you like - but no promises because I don't usually proofread.

Wow. Not going to waste any more time arguing the same thing over and over with you.

I will point out one new error, the ES and RLX do not compare with each other, the TLX/TL and ES compete more with each other and the ES is in not more upscale then the Acura RLX. It also has nothing to do with brand prestige.
Firstly - the list of reason I gave to refer to Acura being a "joke" are opinions and stuff I heard at Acurazine and other forums. Do I agree with some of them? Sure. Did I say all of them? No.

Secondly - No one is arguing. I'm not arguing with you. Hell - I even admitted that you could be right about the previous generation of the RX and MDX. I'm only pointing out that if you match same features, same drive-train, same seating and pretty much match the current 2019 RX and MDX to fully loaded: the Lexus RX will be more expensive than the Acura MDX. Again - you can build it yourself and see.

Lastly - I'm comparing the Acura RLX to the Lexus ES because the Acura RLX doesn't compare to the Lexus GS. If anything the Acura RLX floats between the ES and GS.
Old 06-04-18, 11:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

When you type something like "This is why Alexa is used more often than Google Voice." that is being presented like a fact. One that is easily disproved at that
Old 06-04-18, 12:04 PM
kagete
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh. I agree that Google's Voice services are really good. No doubt about that. But I still maintain you can't really use Android Car Play to replace a good infotainment system. No matter how good the Google voice service is - no one would use Android Car Play over MMI/MBUX and etc... This is why Alexa is used more often than Google Voice. Its because Alexa doesn't change your infotainment system to mirror your phone but rather add-on to it as a third party program and you can still uses your standard infotainment system.

Android Auto is the best to use while your vehicle is in motion. Once stopped, you would still use your car's native infotainment system to navigate through the car-specific menus and settings.

Youtube access while driving isn't for videos specifically, but for the audio of those videos/playlists. Emails/messages while driving are for reading back and dictation only of course.

As for music activation via voice, this is where Android Auto is the best at because of their voice recognition.

"Hey Google, play that song from Frozen."
"OK Google, play the latest Freakonomics podcast."
"Hey Google, fast forward 2 minutes"
"OK Google, play Yacht Rock."
"OK Google, play the Wicked soundtrack."
"OK Google, play the cover of So Into You."
"OK Google, what is my next appointment."
"Ok Google, how's the traffic going home."
"Ok Google, how's the traffic going to work."

*Alternatively you can just hold the call button on the steering wheel for half a second and it will automatically be listening for a voice command. No need to say "OK Google" each time.

Last edited by kagete; 06-04-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-04-18, 12:05 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

When you type something like "This is why Alexa is used more often than Google Voice." that is being presented like a fact. One that is easily disproved at that
Again. I wasn't trying to come off as presenting a fact. My intentions were opinion based on how I felt about Google Voice compared to Alexa. If you makes you feel better, I have changed my previous comment to reflect these "grammar errors" you keep talking about...
Old 06-04-18, 12:15 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kagete
Android Auto is the best to use while your vehicle is in motion. Once stopped, you would still use your car's native infotainment system to navigate through the car-specific menus and settings.

Youtube access while driving isn't for videos specifically, but for the audio of those videos/playlists. Emails/messages while driving are for reading back and dictation only of course.

As for music activation via voice, this is where Android Auto is the best at because of their voice recognition.

"Hey Google, play that song from Frozen."
"OK Google, play the latest Freakonomics podcast."
"Hey Google, fast forward 2 minutes"
"OK Google, play Yacht Rock."
"OK Google, play the Wicked soundtrack."
"OK Google, play the cover of So Into You."
"OK Google, what is my next appointment."
"Ok Google, how's the traffic going home."
"Ok Google, how's the traffic going to work."
I admit - Google Voice is good. But I don't think its best. I just don't think its worth enough trade using say MMI Virtual Cockpit for Android Auto. My original point was that Amazon Alexa would not over-ride the standard infotainment system. IE: For the Lexus ES, you can keep your infotainment system running while Alexa does the car task for you. It can set up an address for you. It can pull up music for you. Do all things you just listed. But all without having to over-ride the standard infotainment system. If you had built Amazon Alexa on Audi, you can use the Alexa to run Virtual Cockpit tasks. However - Google Voice can't do that. You can't use Google Voice to control car functions. You can only use Google Voice while running Android Auto if I'm not mistaken.

I just believe a good luxury car company infotainment system is more polished and better than the Apple and Android Car play. However - I do think Apple/Android car play is good for the people without navigation packages. I also think Apple/Android Car Play is appealing to people who are glued to their phones and refuse to learn their car's infotainment system.
Old 06-04-18, 12:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Er...about that RDX...

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX