Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 01:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Er...about that RDX...

i didn't even realize until in person review comments in this thread that it was already at dealers.

acura has never really competed with lexus but if lexus continues down market (or others continue further up market) it will. (duck)
Old 06-04-18, 01:45 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

It'll definitely take time before they can compete full lineup to lineup, but certain products within their portfolio (RDX vs NX, MDX vs RX) certainly compete well. Just don't mention the sedans.
Old 06-04-18, 04:21 PM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i didn't even realize until in person review comments in this thread that it was already at dealers.

acura has never really competed with lexus but if lexus continues down market (or others continue further up market) it will. (duck)
the only brand who seems to be doing a decent job in the luxury market is volvo these days. The Germans are probably the ones going down hill if you ask me. I would say Lexus is just chilling not going down but not really improving. Infinity has also lost some of its shine recently.
Old 06-04-18, 04:24 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmask5
the only brand who seems to be doing a decent job in the luxury market is volvo these days. The Germans are probably the ones going down hill if you ask me. I would say Lexus is just chilling not going down but not really improving. Infinity has also lost some of its shine recently.
I know this is off topic - but I'm curious: why do you think the Germans are going down hill?

I do understand =Volvo are doing good. Their SUVs are pretty popular right now.
Old 06-05-18, 05:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It'll definitely take time before they can compete full lineup to lineup, but certain products within their portfolio (RDX vs NX, MDX vs RX) certainly compete well. Just don't mention the sedans.
That might end up working out fine for Acura, because in a few years, no one will be making sedans anymore....
Old 06-05-18, 09:39 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
That might end up working out fine for Acura, because in a few years, no one will be making sedans anymore....
That's a bit extreme. Sedans will still be made regardless of the trend. I mean - the next W206 C-Class is already expected to come in 2021-2022 which will last another 8 year life cycle. The G20 3 Series is being spied and that will last at least 7-8 years life cycle. The 4G Lexus IS is expected and etc....

Its just bad business to stop making a body style of a car because a trend flows one way. This SUV trend will probably not last - it'll probably fade sooner or later.
Old 06-05-18, 11:37 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is not going to happen, sedans are still popular, cuv's, suv's, trucks have become more popular over the past few years but that does not mean automakers will abandon sedans or nobody will be buying sedans. If gas prices shoot up sedans will start being more popular then trucks again.
Old 06-05-18, 11:46 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
That is not going to happen, sedans are still popular, cuv's, suv's, trucks have become more popular over the past few years but that does not mean automakers will abandon sedans or nobody will be buying sedans. If gas prices shoot up sedans will start being more popular then trucks again.
This. Agreed.
Old 06-05-18, 11:47 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmask5

After switching from Lexus to MB, Lexus better catch up in the area of user interface of technology part. Trading in Audi SQ5 for another MB. Then in my family there
will be only Binmers and MBs. Acura scared me away from 2015 MDX with ZF9 tranny issues. Now time to compare 3 Litre V6 turbo between MB abd Bimmer for long term. New RDX bit looks like Bimmer X2.
Old 06-06-18, 07:38 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

That is obvious, you keep trying to argue something that is not true, the MDX has always been a more expensive, more upscale vehicle then the RX, it is very common knowledge and I proved it to you. Not sure why there is still a argument.

Current generation - today's model of the RX versus the MDX. The RX is more expensive and more upscale compared to the MDX, like I proved in my previous comment.
Again, there may be some overlap with this generation since they just added a 7 seat RX, most RX buyers are still going to be getting the 5 seats RX which is still less expensive then the standard MDX so most buyers are still going to be paying more for the MDX vs the RX, if you are going by base versions/adding awd of each vehicle the MDX is still priced higher then a RX, you have to go for a higher end RX option to start getting in the overlap/higher price for a trim. The MDX will be going more upscale and will be more expensive the next generation just like the RDX has so this overlap right now will be going away and the MDX will again be more upscale and expensive then the RX. My original argument was about the MDX vs RX over the generations, it was always a more expensive, better equipped, more upscale vehicle.

Lastly - currently - the Lexus RX is more upscale for multiple reasons. The Lexus RX holds better brand prestige, cost more, has more features, and more customization. You are the first person I have heard that said the Acura MDX is more upscale than a Lexus RX.
Lexus has better brand prestige, sure but that does not mean individual models of every Lexus are more upscale then every Acura model, a ES or IS are certainly not more upscale then a RLX, a RC is certainly not more upscale then a NSX, NX certainly not more upscale then a MDX. Even currently, unless the 7 seat RX is very popular which it may not be the avg price of the MDX vs RX, MDX is still going to be higher, base MDX or MDX with awd is more expensive then base RX or RX with awd, once you add the popular tech package(nav) to a MDX awd you are already over 50K, the MDX has a much more advanced AWD system, I believe MDX has a better rear seat controls/entertainment package too the current RX, I don't think the RX even offered rear seat controls/entertainment package in previous generations. Again, the MDX will be going more upscale and be more expensive next generation.
You must not talk to many people because it is common knowledge pretty much everywhere that the MDX has always been a more expensive, more upscale vehicle then the RX.
I have had four MDXs, the last two being new Advance models, 2011 and 2017. Both times I shopped the MDX against the RX (as well as others). I am an **** financial guy, so I get detailed with the numbers. In both 2011 and 2017, the MSRP of the SH-AWD Advance MDX was less, by a few hundred dollars, than a comparably optioned AWD RX350.

As to more luxurious, the RX is without a doubt more luxurious, although Acura greatly narrowed the gap in 2017 with a much better ride and other features, including the use for the first time of real wood in the MDX. In the past on the MDX forum we have jokingly called the wood looking plastic material “plood”.

While the pricing on both was close with the MDX being less, the RX was out of the running for me principally due to less cargo space, and in 2017 the lack of a third row seat, which had not been a necessity, but we use occasionally. In 2017 the MDX Advance has two captain type seats with a console in the second row (which I really like), so only four full time seats.

In my opinion, again being an **** financial guy and owning four MDXs (2001 Touring w/nav, 2005 Touring w/nav & res, 2011 Advance and 2017 Advance), the MDX is the best all around value in the segment. I had decided not to get a fourth MDX, but ultimately did not believe the extra money for a Q7, X5, Cayenne, etc was worth it.

Since this thread is about the RDX, I have a couple of friends (1 current RDX owner and 1 not) who plan on getting the RDX when initial sales calm down.
Old 06-06-18, 09:52 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wasjr
Since this thread is about the RDX, I have a couple of friends (1 current RDX owner and 1 not) who plan on getting the RDX when initial sales calm down.
In my opinion, this part is good advice. If anyone is looking into buying the 2019 Acura RDX, buy it once the initial wave calms down. If the demand is high, chances are deals will be low. Also - I believe in the idea that you shouldn't buy a car during its first model year. You may be better able to get better deals in 2020 and the issues from the 2019MY will likely be worked out by 2020MY if there is any issues.
Old 06-06-18, 01:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
That's a bit extreme. Sedans will still be made regardless of the trend. I mean - the next W206 C-Class is already expected to come in 2021-2022 which will last another 8 year life cycle. The G20 3 Series is being spied and that will last at least 7-8 years life cycle. The 4G Lexus IS is expected and etc....

Its just bad business to stop making a body style of a car because a trend flows one way. This SUV trend will probably not last - it'll probably fade sooner or later.
Extreme? Sure--sedans will not completely go away.

But Ford's plan to eliminate sedans is pretty telling. I agree that SUV demand dips when gas prices rise--but Ford can't just snap their fingers once they've stopped selling sedans in the USA and start doing it again. They need to convert factories back over to sedan production, etc.

Acura has already consolidated its sedan line up. The RLX is mediocre, at best, and never been competitive with the cars it considers its peers. So I would not be surprised to see Acura make a move to reduce sedan production too.
Old 06-06-18, 02:56 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Extreme? Sure--sedans will not completely go away.

But Ford's plan to eliminate sedans is pretty telling. I agree that SUV demand dips when gas prices rise--but Ford can't just snap their fingers once they've stopped selling sedans in the USA and start doing it again. They need to convert factories back over to sedan production, etc.

Acura has already consolidated its sedan line up. The RLX is mediocre, at best, and never been competitive with the cars it considers its peers. So I would not be surprised to see Acura make a move to reduce sedan production too.
Yup. Sedan stays won't ever fully going away. But I do believe car manufacturers might start ignoring sedan production/development; IE: make them low-priority, in this SUV trending market. Example being: MB or Lexus might let their W205 C-Class or AE30 IS run a little longer in the tooth before creating the next generation - in return to give themselves more time to refresh/create next-gen SUVs. I mean, Lexus already trademark "LQ" and its rumored to create a flag-ship Crossover based on the LF-1 Limitless Concept.

True. Ford's plan to eliminate sedan sales is pretty telling. However - besides the SUV trend, Ford's plan to eliminate sedans probably also has to do with their lacking of sedan sales too. They are averaging roughly 17K sales per month on the Ford Fusion since last year.

I agree with your last notion - I would not be surprised if Acura chopped the RLX or ILX and made their sedan line-up smaller. Their RLX and ILX are not great sellers and in my mind, the worst two cars Acura is currently selling.